Favourite German words

469 posts in this topic

Proletentoaster ~ I don't know if it means fake-n-bake or some one whose spent too much time on the tanning beds... either way, it's my fave.

Landungsklatscher = passengers on an airplane who clap when the pilot lands the airplane successfully.

Mine include:

Frauenzimmer

Lusch

Lichtspielhaus

Schlussel

and of course a big ol' FICK DICH...sounds nice in German ;)

I dont know if someones already said these... I admit I skipped a couple pages.

Favorites: Ausgezeignit, and Ehrbaermerlich

Anyone care to correct my spelling??

Landungsklatscher = passengers on an airplane who clap when the pilot lands the airplane successfully.

Worryingly that makes it sound like landing successfully is not common in Germany? I mean why have a word for it if you cant use it?

That Lufthansa flight I have booked for next weekend suddenly doesnt look so cheap...

Most EMBARASSING. The only time I was ona plane where the clapping was remotely justifiable was many years ago flying Swissair from Geneva to Amsterdam with fog in Amsterdam & prospect of diverting to Rotterdam. Captain announced hed "give it a try" & made it. Luckily the onward BA flight to Manchester was also there...

Worryingly that makes it sound like landing successfully is not common in Germany? I mean why have a word for it if you cant use it?

Happens on charter flights & used to be more common in the past I believe. A friend of mine who is an Air Berlin 737 captain based in Munich told me that when he started working for AB that passengers leaving the plane would thank the cabin crew and shake his (the captain's) hand. Maybe the passengers had set their expectations rather low...

At the other end of the scale - when I used to fly motorgliders I was once asked to take an elderly lady up for 1/2 hour local flight. On landing whilst floating along the runway just in the air whilst the speed decayed she grabbed my arm (the one holding the stick) saying (in German) that was a very smooth landing to which I replied we arn't down yet & give me my arm back...

Proletentoaster ~ I don't know if it means fake-n-bake or some one whose spent too much time on the tanning beds... either way, it's my fave.

It actually means the tanning bed itself

A friend of mine who is an Air Berlin 737 captain based in Munich told me that when he started working for AB that passengers leaving the plane would thank the cabin crew and shake his (the captain's) hand. Maybe the passengers had set their expectations rather low...

Sounds like the buses in Bristol - nobody leaves without a cheery "Yurr, fanx, drive."or "Chuurz, drive."

Schadenfreude - enjoyment taken from the misfortune of someone else, specifically in light of the current American economic crisis and Germany's initial reaction. Now it's a different story, eh?

A place I've been thinking about having seen the road sign just recently: Darmstadt Wixhausen. I suppose every name has its origin.