Favourite German words

469 posts in this topic

I guess it's Schrippe in Berlin. "Darf ich meinen Spatz in deine Schrippe stecken?"

STOP IT NOW :o

mine have already been said.

Eichhörnchen : Squirrel

Auspuff : exhaust of a car

(first time I heard someone say 'auspuff' I creased over laughing ... of course then - I was very, very drunk ...)

Funny, I just met with my new German flatmates tonight. One of them asked me to say "Eichhörnchen." Twice. Then he corrected me, less phlegm, bitte. By the third time I was a pro.

My word of the day is schwül. When one agonizes over the umlaut, it perfectly describes the weather.

Cool idea for a web site, gtappened.

I find www.phrasen.com to be useful and entertaining as well.

My favorite words are:

Hackfresse (and its variants, Gesichtselfmeter, Gesichtsgrätsche)

and

Spaßkanone/Spaßbremse

I just think these are all so funny. :) I have a friend moving to Nürnberg next month, I will have to be sure to teach him to use these words right away.

My non-german speaking brother came to visit me in Germany from England, and while he was here, he decided that a good word was "Geschlepper". He used it umpteen times per day for the whole week usually to describe a rude, stupid or ignorant person... Or simply as a term or endearment for me...! Like "Come on then you Geschlepper, are we going?" So I kinda like this word now though I've no idea what it really means... I have a feeling it's something to do with having your car towed away...?

Also he learnt "Scheisse Egal" from somewhere and uses it all the time, to mean "whatever" like when I give him an option, do you want to do this or this, and the answer comes back "scheisse egal" and it's always in a very deep voice... Cute!!!

My non-german speaking brother came to visit me in Germany from England, and while he was here, he decided that a good word was "Geschlepper". He used it umpteen times per day for the whole week usually to describe a rude, stupid or ignorant person... Or simply as a term or endearment for me...! Like "Come on then you Geschlepper, are we going?" So I kinda like this word now though I've no idea what it really means... I have a feeling it's something to do with having your car towed away...?

I'm sorry but I have to disappoint your brother. There is no such word in German. Just Schlepper= tractor.

May I suggest "Humananwärter" for a stupid person instead? :ph34r:

well i won't tell him if you won't! :D Still love the word. It's my fave word! I am going to use it to mean "cool" or "dude" As in

Yo! Geschlepper!

I think if I use it often enough, it could catch on. You never know, maybe this time next year it will be in Langenscheidt's new Worterbuch!! :D

In the (bad old?) days of the K&K Monarchie most people thought that the longest German word was "Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschadt", which was a steam ship company plying the Danube.

Of course they were not aware of the "Vierwaldstaedterseedampfschiffahrtsgesellschaft" in Switzerland...

Personally I love "Anti-baby Pille" even if they never say it. It just epitomizes the german straightfowardness..

I also love Eichhörnchen and Beschleunigung (Acceleration)

My favourite would probably be "Schnapsidee"

How about Schnapsleiche? :-)

genau...no other word in any other language comes off the tongue so well...perfect fit.

stimmt...another of the same camp.

Jammerlappen. hands down winner.

Dudelsack a close second.

But all of the foregoing favorites cannot offset what continues to be the most annoying German word of all time: Küchen (pronounced inevitably like a cow mooing ... enough to make one never want to eat cake or cake products even again). I can barely even acknowledge the existence of this word.

How about: Blätterteig, or jüngst, or rahmspinat, or erfüllungsmelancholie? or there is eruieren, papalapap, or streichholzschächtelchen?

... But all of the foregoing favorites cannot offset what continues to be the most annoying German word of all time: Küchen ...

concur ... far more annoying than its elegant English equivalent: kitchens

You know, I never looked it up before ... the way it always seems to come out, I was genuinely surprised to see it didn't have an uemlaut.

To get a full sense of my terrible associations with this word, you have to imagine a slightly out-of-breath, morbidly obese elderly neighbor who's closed all her windows and pulled all the drapes at 4:00 in the afternoon on a gorgeous summer Saturday afternoon. She then asks if you'd like some piping hot coffee and Kooooo(hock)en when you'd really rather be outside in the sunshine on a lounge chair with a book and an ice-cold beer!