Favourite German words

469 posts in this topic

I have a confession to make. I learnt Frech in school. I mean French. And I thought it was shite. I always had a secret yearning from about 14 on to learn German and learn the Language Of Command. The language of putting Tommies to death in random Stalags. Before Lotus Notes and Office. But I always had a favourite makey-up German word which was "Geschniegelspeizeinschneidergunther". Peeps thought it sounded authentic and Germans were often pointed in my direction but I feigned ignorance, preferring to take the other side in Verdun and talk to the Spanish exchange students. Possibly by virtue of the one "German" word I cultivated in my head, with no Victor or Battle references, or perhaps entirely because of them. Then I ended up here with the German woman, acquired through a similar random vector of bullshit.

Ach, the point of this post is "Learn Spanish". And that my favourite German word is "Heilscheinig". It's beautiful yet absurd and illustrates for me the Lego nature of this mad language we have to learn in this crazy, comfortably angry and perpetually embarassed country we live in.

Hi! This is my first post on here as I just happened to stumble across this site

I love the words:

Geil and...

Doch- I chose it for my username as I agree in that there is no direct translation into English and it's a very useful word. (I think we should adopt it into our language)

Has anyone heard of the expression: "Es ist der Hammer" I think it means That's aweosme! But not sure- it's definately positive in the same way that geil is. Anyone know a translation?

As my Prof would say German is full of "Fill Words" that mean nothing in essence, doch means at most in this sense just "on the contrary"

Ach, the point of this post is "Learn Spanish". And that my favourite German word is "Heilscheinig". It's beautiful yet absurd and illustrates for me the Lego nature of this mad language we have to learn in this crazy, comfortably angry and perpetually embarassed country we live in.

wouldn't that be scheinheilig?

jein - this is the best word to know when dealing with kids.

great word as is genau , can't name a fave though as I tend to speak a mix with my girlfriend and have to concentrate at times when speaking English, as those single words that are a whole sentence in English can be done so well in one German compound.

Are you sure you don't mean "Er hat einen an der Waffel"?

It should be "er hat eine an der Waffe" no waffels anywhere ;)

I see, the Bavarians strike again, put it like this I don't hear people use that variation (here) up north but it's no doubt the same as when southern Germans use sein wrongly, like ich bin im Stadion gesessen, Normal High German is of course ich habe im Stadion gesessen.

But there "I've learned to live with it"

Schlampe is a great word, and also part of this:

What do you call a bathroom light?

DuSchlampe.

Mine would have to be:-

Hubschrauber- I love it but think it had more to do with my teacher emphasizing the 'oop' at the beginning

Eichhörnchen- cos its just a bit random and

bequem- like the sound of it and have found I can apply it to describe most things in one way or antoher- even if they sound a bit odd!

Thats why i like it- sounds cute plus it matches pretty well to squirrel- it being an equally odd word

Thats why i like it- sounds cute plus it matches pretty well to squirrel- it being an equally odd word

much prefer the word squirrel myself

especially as the word refers to the acorn and has not really anything to do with describing the animal (unusual for German)

Arschgesicht is a good one if you like being offensive or Fut which is Austrian and means... well guess...

so far with what the smattering of deutsch that i have, my fav usage is "keine ahnung"..! :-) whenever people ask me something, i go .."keine ahnung"..LOL..so easy to shrug it off...! :-) My buds used to joke on me that at work if my boss asks me ..."whats the update on that thing?"...and i go "keine ahnung.."..LOL

Fut which is Austrian and means... well guess...

No, Futt is a common word everywhere in Germany and means Spalte or Pflaume. But what's so embarrasing about that? It's just rocks and fruit? :rolleyes: