Favourite German words

469 posts in this topic

Saw a boat yesterday called "keen tied" and thought the owner was into bondage. Turns out it's plattdeutsch for "keine Zeit" and appears to be a poem.

Wüstenrennmaus was one of my original favourites.

Kabelsalat is another great one, and Zukunftsangst which I learnt at about the same time. I once had fun with google translate and invented Kabelsalatangst.

I love the sound of the word "Auflauf", and on the subject of Auflaüfe, I love the word Dopperköche (A dialect word for a certain Auflauf, spelling a guess)- Those are my two current favourites.

I have a new favorite: Krallengreifer!

post-4788-13940999566432.jpg

Calling it a retrieval tool or mechanical finger just cannot compete with KRALL-enn-gry-ferr.

Etepetete.

I always loved this word but never knew how it was spelt. But of course: phonetically!

It sounds exactly like what it means: a fussy oldish lady who always wants everything JUST SO and not a hair out of place. But is has indescribable nuances not translatable in English. Very subtle. Like you can imagine her sniffing and looking down her nose at you.

I also love the expression: wie aus dem Ei gepellt (like a peeled egg) which descibes this lady's appearance perfectly.

On 10/20/2006, 1:09:57, Eleanor Rigby said:

Sorry guys, I think I may have to step up as TT pedant today.

The words are Schmetterling and Schwachkopf

Schtimmt soh