Favourite German words

469 posts in this topic

I used to always say Einhörnchen instead. I guess it is sort of a mythical creature half unicorn and half squirel :-)

My wife always had to correct me when I said Judenherberger instead of Jugendherberger :-0

To be exact, it's Jugendherberge.

*scurries off to the "Overexactness among Germans" thread*

This week, my favourite one is "Einzugsermächtigungslastschriftverfahren". It's about the process of direct debit authorisation.

Ausfahrt. One of the few German words my son and I knew when we first came to visit Germany years ago. We used to read the signs on the Autobahn and giggle like Beavis and Butthead. Still makes me chuckle even now when I see it.

Oh, and Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän.

It's not a favourite word of mine. It's just that it's a few pages since this one turned up and I don't wanna be letting the side down ;)

My old paper driver's licence said it was authorised by the "Oberbürgermeister". :-)

Oh.. and not to forget the great insult: Vollpfosten

Yesterday I cooked fresh twice, once for the kids lunch and evening a spaghetti carbonara using farm fresh ham and eggs. The topping was resoaked dried mushrooms from Norma, and the wife moaned that there was sand in the mushrooms. "Es knirrscht".

Braumeister, because they make what I like to drink.

Motorrad, because I like motorcycles.

Strassenbahnhaltestelle, because it's my favorite place to stand while it's raining.

Werksicherheistdienst, don't know what it means but I saw it painted on the side of a van onetime and it took up the entire length of the vehicle.

Sturzkampfflugzeug, the plane that dives into battle.

oder?

- when I first came here I though people kept on talking about a funny smell, but now I use the word regularly myself! :D