Favourite German words

469 posts in this topic

Katastrophengebiet. A favourite around here and it happens a lot!

some favourites:

- Labertasche

- schiefgelaufen

- Scheissegalpill/Scheissegalsaft (I was at the hospital yesterday helping a friend who was there for a tonsil-op for her 3-year-old son and he was a little cranky and scared until they gave him the "Scheissegalsaft".)

- Pinkelpause

Mentioned on another thread, because it's so effective in putting the fear of god/FSM/your favorite sky deity into lazy-ass German civil servants: Dienstaufsichtsbeschwerde - a single word that encompasses the concepts of complaining to their supervisor, accusing them of dereliction of duty, and having them written up.

Gell? no translation. Means "that's right, isn't it?"

Gell is probably my most HATED word in the German language (thank God it's a dialect thing and hardly anyone says it here in Berlin/Brandeburg)

doch is my most hated word - one of my son's first words -> every time I said no - he said doch!!

@Nina: And in Dutch it can be used in a much wider range of situations than in German *evil grin*

I know.. that is what makes it so bad.. I spent three months in Johannesburg, had a boyfriend in Denmark and used to visit the Netherlands... and I live in bloody German. There's no getting away from that work. It just sound so... so.. ugly and ungainly and ugh.

Liebfrauenmilch. What a beautiful name for wine! UNfortunately, it's supposed to be rather low quality wine.

Haven't read this whole thread, so don't know if it's been mentioned.. But the other day it just occurred to me what a ridiculous word "Staubsauger" is if directly translated. "Dust-sucker".

"Hey, move your feet. I gotta' dust-suck."