Favourite German words

469 posts in this topic

sarabyrd... Haifischschwanzflossenfleischsuppe - is a tongue twister according to http://www.uebersetzung.at/twister/de.htm see number 52

Tongue-twisters could be next Friday's thread. Perennial favorite is Blaukraut bleibt Blaukraut und Brautkleid bleibt Brautkleid.

P.S. Among my top 10 words is Dickmilch - it always makes me giggle.

Fischers Fritz fischt frische Fische

I always heard it as Fischers Fritze fischte frische Fische - easy for us to say! :D

Another one that really gets to me is when you are watching German T.V. and Wincent Price stars in a film.There is no bloody W in the German langauge and they then change a V in to a W ???

There is no bloody W in the German langauge and they then change a V in to a W ???

:lol: Yeah, that gets me too. I once had a German tell me: "I had a Wisitor at the Veekend". :blink:

Hang on, though, this thread is supposed to be about words you like (there's another one somewhere for German words you can't stand). One of my favourites is Gummiadler - "rubber eagle" - for when you were expecting a nice tender chicken but got a tough old bird.

Gelsenkirchener Barock, Bottroper Palme, Murmeltier, Abschleppdienst.

umgebung but pronounced with a short middle syllable (ge). same with hofoldinger (forst) but pronounce the first two syllables short.

i'll miss messing with german pronunciation.

Hi! This is my first post on here as I just happened to stumble across this site :)

I love the words:

Geil and...

Doch- I chose it for my username as I agree in that there is no direct translation into English and it's a very useful word. (I think we should adopt it into our language)

Has anyone heard of the expression: "Es ist der Hammer" I think it means That's aweosme! But not sure- it's definately positive in the same way that geil is. Anyone know a translation? :)