Favourite German words

469 posts in this topic

I'm rather fond of Radiergummi. Which is good, because it crops up a lot in my A1 class. Perhaps my Deutsch Lehrerin likes it too.

Perhaps my Deutsch Lehrerin likes it too.

What, the Radieren or the Gummi? :D

The Bavarians call the Hamburgers often "Fischköppe" or "Fishheads"...

Friends from Hamburg are constantly correcting me when I call them "Fischköpfe" - apparently, it's people from Bremen who are "Fischköppe", citizens of Hamburg are called "Pfeffersäcke" (probably from them time when all spices were imported via Hamburg harbour).

Favourite German word? The first that springs to mind is Saftschubse (juice pusher) for Stewardess (flight attendant). Trolley dolly in English :)

apparently, it's people from Bremen who are "Fischköppe",

The Hamburgers are Fischköppe too, maybe your friends just don't like to admit it ;)

The term generally refers to people from the Northern coastal area (which kind of includes Hamburg)

Has anybody imported vorgestern and übermorgen? I always wondered why there are no "single" words for it in english.

:) Thanks for the arschfax, didn't know that one.

Beuel: interesting point you make! No idea why there are no single words for them in English. We could - as good Toytowners - INVENT them and spread the word! How about pre-yesterday and post-tomorrow?

Na, I´ve changed my mind..sounds ugly.

The term generally refers to people from the Northern coastal area (which kind of includes Hamburg)

When we visit the schwäbisch Alb the locals refer to us as Fische.

Some years ago I thrust my camcorder into the hands of a friend there & asked that she filmed some take-offs including mine & we have on the sound track: Hallo, Ich muss grad Fische filmä...

I learned the word "Eidotter" for yolk today. It has nothing to do with being a daughter or with dotting, but because I think of the yolk dotting the egg, and can imagine the yolk as the daughter of the egg, this word is memorable for me.