Favourite German words

469 posts in this topic

I think the word bangs for a fringe is cute if a little bit 1960s

fyi, "bangs" is the common word in the States, where we don't ever use the word "fringe."

Oh, I am really enjoying this thread. I'm reading it backwards.

I love the new(ish) German word to describe the tribal tattoos on lower back area of young women in particular - Arschgeweih (arse antlers). That is so funny. Who says the Germans don't have a sense of humour?

If you can understand and read German, get the books called Der Dativ ist dem Genetiv sein Tod

http://www.amazon.de/Dativ-ist-dem-Genitiv...n/dp/3462034480

I found books 1 and 3 to be the funniest - especially book one. The articles are short and make fun of the strange ways people are manipulating and changing German today.

This is the result of a German survey to find their favourite German word:

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/panorama/669/372481/text/

There is a book in the German library behind the station in D'dorf about this survey, but I cannot find the title. Sorry.

fyi, "bangs" is the common word in the States, where we don't ever use the word "fringe."

Fyi "pony" is the common word in Germany, where they don't ever (never?) use the word "bangs".

Oh, I am really enjoying this thread. I'm reading it backwards.

I love the new(ish) German word to describe the tribal tattoos on lower back area of young women in particular - Arschgeweih (arse antlers). That is so funny. Who says the Germans don't have a sense of humour?

If you can understand and read German, get the books called Der Dativ ist dem Genetiv sein Tod

http://www.amazon.de/Dativ-ist-dem-Genitiv...n/dp/3462034480

I found books 1 and 3 to be the funniest - especially book one. The articles are short and make fun of the strange ways people are manipulating and changing German today.

This is the result of a German survey to find their favourite German word:

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/panorama/669/372481/text/

There is a book in the German library behind the station in D'dorf about this survey, but I cannot find the title. Sorry.

I am sure they will have to have a great sense of humour when the young lady with the Arse Antlers becomes old and wrinkled and her nurse in the altesheim goes to change her clothes. Don't these girls think how it will look in 60 years?

It would make sense for a German's favorite word to be "Belongings" as opposed to anything unselfish.

@Steven: Right, mate. I was referring to the part of his argument where he finds the use of "bangs" to be dated in the U.K. Thank you, though. I now have the word "pony" well in mind if ever I have the occasion to use the word while speaking German.

I was just noting that where moondancer finds pony cute for bangs I find bangs cute for fringe, even if in ENGLISH the word is a bit dated.

Ok it had little to do with favourite german words but it just struck me that an American translation of a german word would be so different to and English translation of the same word.

So you can untwist your knickers now.

Sorry if someone has already mentioned it, but "schlappschwanz" is a pretty useful word to have in your vocabulary, should you ever want to insult someone.

Insulting aside, passt scho', Donaudampfschifffahrtgesellschaft and Oaschkatzlschwoaf are also up there on the list...

oh and hoi/salüü for those who have ever been confronted with swiss german

Meinlieberherrgesangsverein (My dear Mister singing club?) is one that makes me go - HUH!

Ich glaube mein Trecker humpelte is also pretty odd. Not just the one word so a bit off topic..

...and Oaschkatzlschwoaf are also up there on the list...

I don't want to be pedantic but it's "Oachkatzlschwoaf"

oach = Eiche = oak tree

oasch = Arsch = arse

unless an Oaschkatzlschwoaf is something new and kinky, off course.. In that case please explain.

Oops, my mistake! No idea why I typed an 's' when I know very well there isn't one... I'm having one of those days where your brain turns to mush...anyone know if there's a German word for that?

Oops, my mistake! No idea why I typed an 's' when I know very well there isn't one... I'm having one of those days where your brain turns to mush...anyone know if there's a German word for that?

You can always create one: Matschhirntag.

Matschhirn is actually used :-)

Sorry if someone has already mentioned it, but "schlappschwanz" is a pretty useful word to have in your vocabulary, should you ever want to insult someone.

Oh, I love "schlappschwanz" (is that an adjective or a noun - for the sake of capitalising? I guess you would say: "Er ist ein schlappschwanz" and "Hier ist mein Schlappschwanz" :ph34r: )

In my Frauenpower days we would chant: "schnipp schnapp Schwanz ab"

You should check out this book: "Der die was? Ein Amerikaner im Sprachlabyrinth" by David Bergmann.

I do not know if it is available in English, but it's definitely worth a laugh for all those who speak/understand German. David moved to Germany in 1996 and has every since wondered about the German language, its grammar and its wording. The good thing about Mr. Bergmann: He now loves the German language (nice fella! ;) )

Have fun

Babs

Zeitpunkt. Because an accurate time reference is so important to Germans.

But also:

Doch!

scheißegal

Schifffahrt

Schwarzfahrer

Jugendarbeitsschutzgesetz