Favourite German words

469 posts in this topic

Vorstandsvorsitzender!!!

The word "CEO" came up in class and one of my students said " Vorstandsvorsitzender". I had heard the word before but suddenly I started looking at it in detail:

Vorstands

Vorsitzender

Is that not an oxymoron?

Vorstandsvorsitzender!!!

The word "CEO" came up in class and one of my students said " Vorstandsvorsitzender". I had heard the word before but suddenly I started looking at it in detail:

Vorstands

Vorsitzender

Is that not an oxymoron?

Vorstand= board, Vorsitzender=chairman

Sometime the chairman may be the CEO too, but most of the time it is the Praesident of a company who is the CEO

So tell me: When you have a president or a chairman or a vor stands vor sitzender, who stands/sits in front of/behind whom?

Confusing? Which is why - although, I wouldn't choose it as my "favouritest" German word - I thought it was funny.

Ahh go on, have a laff. :blink:

I can't speak a bit of German yet, but there are some words that make me smile.

Kunst mainly but dich and fahrt also. There's a Kunst Alle in Darmstadt :D

We have a Metzgeri Felch here too, although I think Felch is the butchers name as well as a filthy verb.

So tell me: When you have a president or a chairman or a vor stands vor sitzender, who stands/sits in front of/behind whom?

Confusing? Which is why - although, I wouldn't choose it as my "favouritest" German word - I thought it was funny.

Ahh go on, have a laff.

One who sits in front of those who stand in front?

Imagine one of those early 1900s photos of the company management. You know all in best suits and sepia tones.

You have a wedge of, usually very grim ugly men, in a line and sat in front of all of them one slightly ominous looking character who looks like he eats babies for relaxation.

The one at the front in the chair - thats the vorstandsvorsitzender.

Nothing complicated about german so long as you have a very weird imagination :)

not really may favorite, but a good story...

When I am driving around and have to stop at a stoplight, I look at the words around me on signs and then look them up in my dictionary. I came a cross a street called hassenstrasse (sp). I looked the word up and it meant hate. I get back to the house and ask my landlord why there is a street called hate street. I describe to them where it is. The name of the street is actually pronounced as hazzen, not hassen.

difference between a rabbit and hate, sure would be 2 words I would not want to mix up. :D

Well, I love that Johnny Depp gets to say hey, I'm Johnny Idiot, to all the German speaking peoplez.

Fave words are:

Klugscheisser

Tollpatsch

dreist

Fernweh (hence my online name...!)

I have always liked these - wursteln and wühlen

Then those funny medical terms - Blindarm Why does it have this name?

eierstock and gebärmutter

and the word for bangs is cute - pony

I like eichhörnchen too

and I say, ach, du liebes lieschen, all the time and have no idea what it really means.

When I moved here I went through phases of favorite words, like doch, or stimmt, or genau. My husbands fave is - ganz toll.

... Blindarm Why does it have this name? ...

Blinddarm (lit. "blind intestine")

Cecum

The cecum or caecum (from the Latin caecus meaning blind) is a pouch, connecting the ileum with the ascending colon of the large intestine ...

This one is more fun, but I am not real sure how to spell it. I never see it written, but I hear people say it and I say it quite often as it has such a fun sound.

Schwup-di-wupp

They used to say irgentwat quite a lot where I lived- it always made me think of a tiny furry creature. The lesser spotted irgentwat, or something. I also love the word moin as a greeting, which becomes even more adorable when you add -chen to the end, which is the reason for my username. I found myself saying 'ganz genau' quite a lot too.

I have always liked these - wursteln and wühlen

Then those funny medical terms - Blindarm Why does it have this name?

eierstock and gebärmutter

and the word for bangs is cute - pony

I like eichhörnchen too

and I say, ach, du liebes lieschen, all the time and have no idea what it really means.

When I moved here I went through phases of favorite words, like doch, or stimmt, or genau. My husbands fave is - ganz toll.

I think the word bangs for a fringe is cute if a little bit 1960s :)

Ah bollocks can't read it... okay it should say:

Dogbert: Hey I'm having a Schadenfreuden party. Do you want to come?

Mug: Sure! I don't know what Schadenfreude means but it sounds like fun.

Dogbert: Too bad. You're not invited loser.

Mug: Ouch.

Dogbert: BEST PARTY EVER

Damn, have taken the funny out of it...

I'm very fond of "gegenüberliegenden" as in "Es ist auf der gegenüberliegenden Seite der Straße" (It's on the opposite side of the street."

Nichtsdestotrotz and nichtsdestoweniger = nevertheless (which is also lovely in English).

glimpflich - as in 'glimpflich davonkommen' = to get off lightly