Favourite German words

469 posts in this topic

Dudelsack a close second.

Sackpfeifen :D

Just reminded me of a little boy shouting at the top of his voice: "Guck mal Mama, ein Mann im Schottenrock!"

My kilt-wearing bf was slightly embarrassed...

I have a new one! The Metro (retailer store) is doing a special on fowl (duck, goose, quails, etc.) under the generic noun "Fettgeflügel". Greasy fowl, now isn't that appetizing? Although I am tempted by the quails ...

if you ever hear fighting talk on bbc five live (i'm sure some here do) the skit they do of their text number in german is freakin hilarious - (acht fuenf null fuenf acht!)

genau has to be a great german word, man they dont make them like that in english! the first time i heard it being used in germany i thought it was being rude! now i'm still not sure! what a word, genau..

A lot of the animal names are super cute.

z.B. Rehkitz, Eisbär, Eichhörnchen...

I also like Beinfreiheit and Geschmackserlebnis.

I like the way you can put 'chen' on the end of anything and turn it into something cute (makes grammer easier too!)

Also, deswegen - a handy concise word und es klingt gut

The German insults are pretty funny too - e.g. affenarsch, dummkopf, du hast den arsch offen ... stuff you'd expect from kids!

My recent fave is unentbehrlich - makes me think of teddy bears!

Explained to me by a friend in the Germany Army:

'Eirlegende Wollmilchsau.' Egg-laying woolly milk-pig. Describes something with a lot of features, none of which are implemented correctly (e.g. Windows Vista).

One of the toddlers at work taught us a new word the other day: Arschgeige. I LOVE IT!