Rock im Park - music festival

51 posts in this topic

Unfortunately I can't make it this year.

But I found the secret of camping there is to find a spot way on the edge, far from the stage area. The last year I went (2006) we were right near a fence by one of the far entrances (15min walk to stages). It was pretty quiet, not so many tents, nice trees overhead. If you go anywhere near the partying Jungs then your camping experience is gonna suck. Unless getting plastered for 96 hours straight and laying around in mud is your thing. Oh, and get there EARLY.

Last time I saw a guy propped up in a chair, totally passed out, with an "Ausser Betrieb" sign taped on his shirt.

Do they usually end up selling singles more towards the date? i d like to go to at least one date, but i wouldn t be able to camp anywhere and am not sure if i can afford 3-4 nights staying around nürnberg.

I have my tickets & accommodation (yes I shall be hoteling it like a true yuppy) secure! Once I saw RATM as the 4th headliner..well there was no resisting any longer! \m/

@maus5k: They have sold single tickets in previous years (they did in 2006 at least), but you would pay nearly 1/2 the price of the 4-day ticket to miss out on 3/4 of the festival! It doesn't sense to buy a day-ticket unless you're going specifically for 1-2 acts. As for accommodation..just have a look on Hostelbookers.com or Booking.com for stuff...I managed to book a double room for the mrs and I in a 4-star joint for 115 EUR! There are still deals out there..be quick though, because the 3rd is a public holiday...

Hi,

Good info re the camp spots.

What sort of prices do you pay for beer/drinks and food?

Anyone know a good hostel nearby? and in that case, how are the transport link-ups i.e. are there free shutle buses or use local ground transport?

When do these things sell out, and when do they put up the timetable?

I just moved to erlangen in march. Havent been to any german festivals yet, so just trying to work out budjet and plan of attack etc. Is it common to sneak in your own booze too the campsite? i know its frowned on but we did this all the time back in Aus with some care and application.

Lastly, i havent found anyone to acompany in case i do go, so if anyone needs a 5th wheel send me a post.

Cheers,

Kieran

BTW; i saw RATM in Aus last year and it was truly one of my best festival experiences.

I always brought my own food and alcohol. We would grill sausages and stuff at our campsite in the morning, between shows, and at night.

You can bring your own alcohol, it's absolutely allowed (at least when I last went in 2006). But NO GLASS is allowed anywhere on the festival grounds for safety reasons. Bring beer in plastic or cans... transfer your liquor to coke or water bottles... etc. Once we didn't get stopped with our 3 cases of glass beer bottles, the guy must have been sleeping. The next year we had to sneak our 3 cases over a fence in a backpack, 20 bottles at a time. It was a pain, and then we couldn't walk out of our campsite with the bottles because some safety guard would complain.

In the stage areas, you can ONLY bring Tetrapak containers, not even plastic bottles or cans... so bring Tetrapaks of juice, and mix in some vodka before leaving the campsite. Otherwise you're stuck buying €4 or €5 Beck's or Bitburger, whoever buys the sponsorship this year. Food prices are your standard couple euros for a sausage or steak sandwich.

Wish I could go, but I'm going to be in Hawaii at that time :-P

how are the transport link-ups i.e. are there free shutle buses or use local ground transport?

Your frstival ticket/wristband entitles you to use the Nürnberg public transport free of charge during the festival (or at least it has when I've gone previously). Zeppelinfeld is reachable by tram (every 10 mins to Doku Zentrum) and s-bahn (every 20 mins) from hauptbahnhof. There are extra s-bahn services to maintain the 20 min fequency through the evening (normally it reduces to 40 mins during late evening)

@Kieran: you mean 2 years ago in 2008 when they headlined BDO? Yeah I was there too, and at their Festival Hall show in Melb..unforgettable night.

*bump*

Can't believe it's 2 days away...for those who want to get day tickets...they are still available. EUR 50 for Thursday to see Rage Against the Machine (which is a nice deal!), and EUR 70 for the other days...

BUMP!

Anyone else going this year?

I was looking for more information with regards to what is allowed in the campsite but all of that is in German only on the official website. Google Translate makes a decent job of it but I wondered if anyone knew another source?