Rock im Park - music festival

51 posts in this topic

Marek Lieberberg Konzertagentur and Argo Konzerte, the organizers of Rock im Park, one of the biggest annual open air festivals in Germany, are giving Nuremberg a miss this coming year - the 10th anniversary is a victim of a planned international soccer match between Germany and the coming super-power San Marino. The organizing agencies' reason is that Nuremberg will not be able to provide adequate police protection for both events at adjacent locations.

But - and this is the sting - they are not planning to return to Nuremberg at all!

post-4788-1161338091.jpg

Rock im Park wird dennoch wie geplant vom 1. – 3. Juni 07 über die Bühne gehen. Die veranstaltende Marek Lieberberg Konzertagentur und Argo Konzerte prüfen derzeit verschiedene Spielstätten in Bayern und Baden-Württemberg. Nach Angaben der Organisatoren geht es nunmehr darum, Rock im Park langfristig einen neuen, permanenten Standort zu geben, der diesem herausragenden Musikereignis und den Bedürfnissen der Fans gerecht wird.

Basically: The show will go on! They are looking for a new, permanent location that fulfills the needs of this mega musical events and its fans.

Did I miss anything last year? Overflowing toilets, inadequate camping or crashing space, fist-fights in front of food and beer stands running out of supplies?

Nürnberg online, a site with information on events in Nuremberg, still has Rock im Park on its schedule. The Mayor, Dr. Ulrich Maly, "deeply regrets" the agency's unexpected decision. So after 10 successful years, Nuremberg is losing one of its most attractive summer events. Bonjour Provinz!

UPDATE: In November 2006 it was announced that the festival will go ahead in Nuremberg afterall.

yeah.. why not Olympiapark or Thalkirchen or something? Münchner would never go for it though.

Rock am Ring at the Nürburgring is far better than Rock im Park, location is much cooler and better atmosphere. of course I guess for you guys down in Bavaria it's literally round the corner, bit of a trek up to Köln from Münich really.

Rock im Park actually started out in Munich.

It was first held in Munich-Riem, the site of the old Munich Airport, in 1993. The event was originally called "Rock in Riem".

It was then held in the Munich Olympia Park in 1994, 1995, and 1996 before moving to Nuremberg in 1997.

It's quite very possible that the 2007 event will return to Munich Olympia Park.

i was there 1996 :-) still have 2 t-shirts from then (rage against the machine and the presidents of the united states)

I heard about this on Charivari last week. There's going to be an announcement sometime this week and the Olympiapark has already been turned down because of the crap parking situation. Riem is the favourite at the moment because the organisers were really impressed with how the Pope's visit went.

Would be pretty bloody cool if it came here. Always wanted to go but couldn't be arsed to travel. If it's in Munich now I'd probably buy a weekend ticket regardless of who plays like I always do for Reading.

Cheers,

Boba

I guess, after all that, they decided it was easier to move a few policemen to Nürnberg for the weekend than to move the entire festival to Munich. Seems like common sense has prevailed. You Münchner will just have to get out of the city for a day or two!

Well in the 'Berg' we are all really chuffed that it's not moving away finally. About 20 of us Brits who live here (there are more than 20 that live in Nürnberg, incase you were all wondering), went this year and had such a fab time...and on top of that we all got completely trollied for 3 days...well worth going.

You can get so much closer to the stage for bands like the Kaiser Chiefs, The Streets, Paul Weller, Morrisey etc. than you ever would do if you saw them in the UK.

I wouldn't suggest to camp out there though, the tent situation is overcrowded, dirty, smelly etc. Not the norm. for this 'clean' area we live in. Get a hotel and use a clean loo, you long for that when you have used an over-chemically smelling 'Dixie' toilet for 3 days! :rolleyes:

Here's the lineup. Wouldn't mind seeing Jan Delay, Muse and Mia, but other than that I could miss it. Either seen the others or don't like them.

post-4210-1171543627_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know where a good hotel would be to stay? Cheap and close to the grounds?

I am NOT camping there.

Rock am Ring at the Nürburgring is far better than Rock im Park, location is much cooler and better atmosphere. of course I guess for you guys down in Bavaria it's literally round the corner, bit of a trek up to Köln from Münich really.

well, the cool people, insiders if you will, go to rock im park, avoiding the wannabe's and liggers.

It's less exposed as the 'Ring, but has the same bands and possibly a better atmosphere.