FRITZ!Box DSL modem and router problems

109 posts in this topic

Just in case - are you running the latest Fritz!OS version as this appeared only a few weeks ago (i.e. since that article).

I upgraded my 7430 to OS 7.01 yesterday (at least it still works). 

The notes seem to indicate that at least some changes were made w.r.t. VPN: 

http://download.avm.de/fritzbox/fritzbox-7430/deutschland/fritz.os/info_de.txt

Disclaimer: I'm just a user, not an expert in this area.

Look up "Freifunk".

Freifunk is a club of people interested in spreading free WiFi in Germany. If you set up a router with their firmware they will create a "freifunk" WiFi. Every traffic coming through that wifi will be tunneled via an encrypted connection (VPN) to their servers. They are committed to (a) not keeping any logs and (b) using their own lawyers to fend off anyone trying to get to the users. I believe there hasn't been a single case of a freifunk user getting sued for torrenting. So your guests wouldn't be surfing using your external IP address but using the IP address of the freifunk tunnel servers.

But with Fritz!Box .. not easily possible without a second router. But there are very cheap models.

AAAANNNDDD:...

Telekom dont like the guys and on some of their speedport routers, you cant add a VPN router...

D-StaziKom  more like...

6 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

AAAANNNDDD:...

Telekom dont like the guys and on some of their speedport routers, you cant add a VPN router...

Don't get me started about Telekom and their Speedport routers. 

I eventually sent my Speedport back to Telekom, describing it as "Not Fit For Purpose".  After my Telekom contract ended (over a year later) Telekom continued to invoice me the monthly rental on the "Not Fit For Purpose" router. The dispute is on-going.  At the moment Telekom has its router and I have my money.

Plus.. most of the new Speedports will not allow "SOME Other" VOIP services to be programmed into their routers...

Who wants to start a Facebook whinge group about them...

So.. Today I got my new connection with MyQuix...

They put Fibre through the village last year... 

I chose the 50Mbps option and get 52Mbps... 

I havent tried connecting with Ethernet cable yet.. but over wifi it fluctuates between 30 and 45... 

I dont think its their service as I have a stable connection to the DSLAM 

Direct line to the router is 6meters... Fritz 7490 router... 

So.. any tips and tweeks to get the Wifi upto scratch?    ( Laptop Lenovo V320)... 

OK... So Roblox... One of the latest Gaming trends is totally destroying my bandwith and wifi... 

Daughter sits next to me on my "Bavsat network" playing roblox...  I need to switch from BS network to my VPN router to be able to use the net... 

If she logs out of Roblox, then anyone can use the BS network...  ( Its the same issue if she is using Tablet or xbox  one)

Has anyone any ideas what can be done fix the problem?

The BS network is a fritzbox 7490 and normally doesnt need rebooting. 

Thanks in advance

Is this a good thread to discuss line quality statistics? 

I finally got an electrician to come and check this morning the line that I ordered more than 1 year ago from 1&1 (documented in another thread). 

We are paying for the 100Mbps package but the line has synced at about 13 Mbps. 

This was only a visit to come and chat apparently, next week he will come back to actually do some work. 

So after he left, I took a look at the stats in my Fritz web interface again, and now I am confused. 

Could someone more familiar with  the topic please take a look at the stats below and tell me if it still looks like my line has a problem? I am asking because with the dB values at below 20 dB, I have a feeling that the line should reach rates above 13 Mbps. 

scr1.PNG

scr2.PNG

scr3.PNG

Data rate on VDSL depends primarily on two factors:

1. How long the line is from the DSLAM to you
  2. Quality of the line

In order to approach the maximum achievable data rate of the DSLAM, your line must be no longer than 300m, and must be of maximum quality.  Per your screenshots, your line is 761m long, which is more than 2.5 times longer than that max.  So, you will never approach the DSLAM's maximum achievable data rate (or get close to the data rate plan you purchased), even if everything is perfect.

Nevertheless, per the line attenuation figure listed in your screenshot, if your line quality is top-notch, you could in theory achieve up to about 40 Mbps based on the reported line length (in practice it is going to be more like 35-36 Mbps).  It seems clear from your current data rate that there is a significant quality issue with the line.

So it still makes sense to let him try out some things instead of cancelling the appointment, right? 

Unless you have another alternative available to you than VDSL, yes - you should probably keep the appointment.  Line-quality issues are usually fixable by someone with the right tools and skill set.

In somecases.. even the best of engineers cant fix the problem...    Often, over the years, cables get extened then extended and then plastered into the wall.. 
I wouldnt be surprised if there is a resister in place at one of the Telephone sockets 

When VDSL became available here we signed up. I knew the route to our DSLAM so knew it was ca. 350m away. When we switched over from ADSL I was horrified to see the fritzbox synching at just 18mbps. 

I had a Telekom technician come by and he measured the line quality and said "it's good, it should be much faster" but he couldn't identify the problem and said "an engineer will need to come out". In our case it was a new build house and the line was terminated in our cellar with the APL and 1st (and only as everything is IP based inside the house) TAE Dose directly connected to the APL. 

I then googled for some images of the correct wiring from APL to 1st TAE Dose and compared to mine. A couple of wires were incorrectly terminated. I fixed it and literally instantly the modem synched at 90mbps.

Thats quite surprising!  

Most electrical companies lay a cable form each socket to the celler and leave the tails there...  PLUS.. most new builds have LAN cables installed too with patch pannel...

I havent seen a new build in the past 5 years where the phone connections are chained together.. 

Its seldem the quallity of the cable that causes issues, but usually a bad connection/resitor or something causing resistance on the desired line from APL to first TAE.. 

In our case it's a house. The 1st TAE Dose is 6 inches from the APL. The tech really should have been able to fix it quickly. I am guessing that because the TAE Dose was right beside the APL that he subconsciously eliminated the possibility of incorrect wiring between the two.

I have a modem router combo box.  I also use a LAN Ethernet cable to my laptop.  Does it matter which cable is the longest; the coax from the outlet or the Ethernet to the laptop? 

1 hour ago, catjones said:

I have a modem router combo box.  I also use a LAN Ethernet cable to my laptop.  Does it matter which cable is the longest; the coax from the outlet or the Ethernet to the laptop? 

No.

Assuming that we are not talking about very long lengths (which shouldn't be an issue in a house), and you have a half decent cable, then it should be OK.

16 hours ago, catjones said:

If signal integrity is truly an issue, then coax handily beats twisted-pair (even shielded twisted pair, which most Ethernet cable is not).

However, from a practical standpoint, dj_jay is absolutely correct.  Unless you live right next to a steel mill or other facility that generates massive electrical distortion, or your home is 10 times the size of a typical German house or large flat, for a long run you should simply use the cable that is easiest to install, which will be the twisted-pair Ethernet cable.