FRITZ!Box DSL modem and router problems

109 posts in this topic

@eurobabs

Your FB is loosing its DSL Sync. Either the box is bad, or the port on the DSLAM is bad. I'd suggest you contact 1&1 and get it replaced, yes its under garentee as long as they gave it to you and your still a cust. of theirs. If the problem persists even with the new box, then have 1&1 esc. to Telekom to test the line.

A new Firmware was released last month for most FB's. This update will alao allow you to switch the FB Lang. to English, yet still keep it a German DSL Annex B Device.

It does? Which device/firmware version?

I have a Fritzbox with 1&1 as well. No real problems to date (have had it for over a year.) Occasionally I lose the connection. Best bet is simply to unplug power and plug back in...at least this works for me. That shows it was a local problem. I only have had one upstream interruption where I had no DSL verbindung - and that might have been Telekoms (since it´s their line) fault.

Ignore that, the stupid box doesn't find it but just found their site and they have a later update :}

Hi!

I have a 7170 too but can't seem to find the update that will allow me to switch to English. You appear to have found it on the website - I looked and can't seem to find it. :( Can you please point me to right place.

Thanks!

@YL6 / Others

I have the FB Fone WLAN 7050

Here is the link for the 7050, English, Annex.B Firmware (ver. 14.04.20)

For UK FB 7050's use the Annex.A Firmware

As of now, it appears that only 2 FB's have this firmware. The Orig. FB and the 7050 Fone/Wlan.. Others will come I'm sure..

If you can't wait, then there are FB hack/mod sites out there that can show you have to mod the FB..

We had a fritz box and screwed around with it for over a year before we got a friend to look at it. turns out the box was defective. we got another one straight away (different brand) and now everything works fine.

I also installed the latest update for 7170 but haven't found any option to change interface language... The version log mentions nothing about it either... :}

Here is the link for the 7050, English, Annex.B Firmware (ver. 14.04.20)

That, I knew about. I misunderstood your post to be firmware that could switch between languages.

:o I tried to update the latest firmware for the 71710 as I had also thought I could change the interface language with the update. To cut the long story short, I have now lost my internet connection. Man, I wish I didn't read this thread today.

I was updating the Firmware, got to the final stage, which basically said to wait ( the INFO LEd was happily blinking away) and then no more connection. I have tried to unplug & then replug the power connectiion and have also checked all the cables. The damn "Power/DSL" LED just blicks away searching for the ADSL connection without any luck.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I have written to the AVM support line and am waiting for their answer.

Give it time.. The FB normally will reboot after a FW Update.

Hopefully you used the correct FW ver.

"Switch", as in change FW from German to English. Before AVM released this FW

the only way was via a hacked FW..

Thanks for giving me hope that it will correct itself but...6 hours???

What if, the update was interuppted - have I f@$%^k up the FitzBox???

I sure hope it corrects itself, I am using an unsecured WLAN at the moment... ;)

Try to flash it again...

Can you still access it via the network/webpage ?

If yes, then try to flash it again.

This time Download the FW again, just to be sure the previous file

wasn't borked. Then access the FB web page and update it again.

If you can't access the FB Webpage the contact AVM and get them

to send you, or give you a link to the Recovery Image. That will get

you FB back up and working. Juat make sure its the correct FW for

your FB.. (German/AnnexB)

If your box is still not functioning you can get the recovery image here Read the accompanying text file carefully, and only use it if you are convinced that an upgrade has gone awry. Thie recovery image is only for (German) 7170 models and should not be used on any other Fritzbox

YL6

@YL6 :D THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! After 2 days of sheer frustration; unpluging and plugging wires & cables & hours spent on so-called customer support - your post & a mere 15 mins later, I have my FritzBox back!!!

I have written to both AVM & 1und1 help lines; no response from them yet. It will be interesting to see what they say.

I have tried to speak to a human being on the 1und1 Hotline without success for the last 2 days. My German is not great but I understood most things but went through numerous recorded options and have listened to endless tracks of recorded music. I even held out for 45 mins before I gave up in despair.

So, YL6 - YOU are a life saviour!!!

Did I say THANK YOU... :D

I don't care about having the Firmware interface in Deutsch anymore as long as I am connected again.

...what a sad life I lead... <_<

So, YL6 - YOU are a life saviour!!!

If access to the internet saves your life, then it's definitely a sad one. How about saying "thank you" ? :)

(thanks for the thanks)

Nearly 6 months later and I am still fighting with 1&1 as I still do not have consistent net. They have finally (just a few weeks ago) after my threatening them a new Fritz box (now have Fon5140) and it is still not working. Every time I call or email, they tell me it is fixed and they "are convinced" each time that it is for good. Then the next day - it is out again. They did finally order Tcom to come but the guy from Tcom called me on Wed of that week (appt was for Sat as I cant be home during the week) and he said he could find nothing wrong with the line when he does his testing from his end and that it would be a waste of his time if he came on Sat and it was not out (as it is intermittent, not consistently connected or lost) = but again, 1&1 said they fixed it, cancelled the Sat appt. I pleaded with them to leave it just in case and cancel on Fri if it was still ok, they said no need. And as expected on Fri - connection lost again.

This time I got really really pissy with them, they again arranged for the Tcom guy to come yesterday. I emailed them again and told them they WILL make it a priority call and it WILL get sorted. They GUARANTEED me that the man would come as early Sat as possible and it would get finally sorted. I was actually happy for the first time to see the stupid blinking light on the box when I woke up Sat as thought with my luck, it would work when the guy came so he would not be able to see the problem. However, it has been out since.

Well, as I had expected - NO ONE CAME. So, I was basically held hostage in my flat yesterday waiting for them as with Sat appts, they won’t even give you a 4 hour time frame, but only “between 8-4

Could also be a problem with the wiring in the flat. Either in your area or between you and the T-Com box in the basement.

The only way to be sure is to get these T-Com feckers to come out to your place and do a complete End-to-End signal test..

If it really is the line then it won't matter who your provider is, it will still be fooked.

That is kind of what I was thinking as well. Was the reason I was wondering about just switching over to T-online for the net (as would like to get WLAN anyway) - Then at least it is Tcom that I would be dealing with and would hope they sort it out.

I am still so pissed that I never even got a phone call that they couldnt make it - they just didnt show up. When I called 1&1 the woman (as usual) would NOT speak any English with me and when I ask if she had a colleague that could help, she said no one spoke Eng, only German - So I said "Well, I guess you wont understand FUCK OFF!! then" and hung up on them :)

How do I get someone to actually come out - and if it is the line, why is there never a problem with the phone - doesnt it all go thru the same line???

Thanks