Sad ain't it? Getting older by the day

117 posts in this topic

I was out last night for drinks and a bit of dancing in Prenzlauerberg. I wasn't particularily tired, the evening had been planned and coordinated well in advance with a friend. Everyone seems to look so similar over there meanwhile (another sign of my age I suppose). While listening to the unknown-to-me-electro-type music, I found myself thinking in eager anticpation of sinking into my big fluffy couch when I got home and reading a few chapters of a book I'm reading right now. I am finding more and more that about the only place I want to go out to is my balcony with a good wine, some nice food and either some company or a great book. This appears to be life after 35 and I am 100% perfectly ok with that.

Just like to add something else - When I was a kid, I was just glued to the television. My dad worked all the time and I think having children was a bit more than my mother bargained for so she got a tv for pretty much every room. Every weekday, I'd get off the school bus, run inside, watch a re-run of Happy Days, then an episode of Golden Girls and then it would be dinner time and we'd all sit down in the dining room in front of the tv where we would watch the 6 o'clock news while we ate. After that I'd watch prime time tv until the 10 o'clock news and then pretend to go to bed, but really I would just watch mostly strange French-Canadian movies after 11 where occasionally people would walk around naked. In the summer vacation I'd watch re-runs of everything from the Munsters, to Rhoda, I Love Lucy, etc., etc. When I got to university, I didn't get a tv and got really judgy about the 'boob-tube' and tv-watchers. But eventually school ended, real life started and I realized the following - there is tons of shit to do in your everyday life, like ironing, vacuuming, cleaning up, folding laundry, doing paperwork, and organizing all sorts of other crap around the house - that need to get done and can be done somewhat more effortlessly if you're watching tv at the same time. Now, I certainly think 5 televisions for one house is a bit over the top and if I ever have children I hope that I would put a few more guidelines on my children's watching schedules, but now being just before my 36th birthday, let's just say that in retrospect, I understand my mom and dad much better these days (even if I don't always approve).

I am stripping out a bathroom and Jesus am I feeling old doing it! Disgusting job!

I'm now getting used to German doctors and accept when they tell me that most of my minor ailments are due to age. I remember a long time ago having a young colleague who used to get very angry at anyone complaining about aging. His dad died when he was a kid and strongly believed that aging is a privilege. I agree.

I had to laugh when my dear 75 year old step dad went to his doctor recently complaining about a variety of pains. The doc looked him squarely in the eyes and said "Herr B, if at your age you don't have pains, it means you are dead". He feels much better now :D

You are getting older when you have to fear you lose your driver license (In Canada you do) and when you look at women and they all look so young and when everything you used to do takes a lot longer and when you check the newspaper who has died and when you have to sit down to put your pants on and when you volunteer to wash the dishes for anything better to do.The golden age is not so golden as they say.I know!

You know you are getting old when you have to discourage the advances of that 38 year old not because you have personal integrity and family responsibilities but because you know that he would be really disappointed if not eye-poppingly horrified at what he would actually find...

You know you're getting old when you abhor men of your own age because

they seem to be looking for a nurse...

...and then you snag a younger one :D

You know when you are getting old when you care a hell of a lot less about the things which used to bother you all the time.

It struck home not long back...

A really good looking 21yr old chick friended me on Facebook...

Her opening line was, "Hey geoff, Its my dads 50th birthday next year,Will you come to the party? You used to baby sit me and my sis.. !!!"

Oh well...

Reviving this ancient thread...

You know you're getting old when you your daughter fixes your non-working TV within one minute.

Two evenings ago TV in bedroom was working OK.  Next morning no connection; Menu => Setup showed it looking at DVB-T instead of DVB-C.

Daughter found that "Input" was somehow set incorrectly-  This was of course not under "Menu / Setup..."

Nope - she showed me where the configuration (via remote control) was wrong.

It just was not where I had been expecting it (like under Menu/setup)..

Funny enough, Himself, Mr. Techno many, reaches behind the TV and jiggles some cable. It's not like we have earthquakes here. I have no idea how it comes loose.

So you will remember and not need to ask her next time. Me not.

6 hours ago, fraufruit said:

So you will remember and not need to ask her next time. Me not.

The TV came wth a fairly large manual - not large due to being in X different languages.

Anyhow I had already made a short "Spickzettel" (file in my PC) noting how to set up all the required channels after a Suchlauf so I added this latest info to it.

That is brilliant. It's a thing I always intend to do, but rarely achieve. Some new devices come with a quick-start guide, which is the bomb if it's a good one.

This week my son showed me somewhat exasperatedly how to reset the system after the internet dies, and brilliantly I've now done that 3 times on my own, so I feel like that's beherrscht, although obviously if the internet survives 6 months without issues the information will have dropped out again :) - off to make a spickzettel on a sticky note and shove it on the back of the telly....thanks HEM for the inspiration.

We have three zappers and one telly, one sat receiver and a game box. I don t know what activates what. I cannot switch the telly on and get the sat receiver to do its stuff without hubby. Kid you not. I speak various languages and have a university degree frim way back when... and cannot put the telly on...

5 hours ago, kiplette said:

That is brilliant. It's a thing I always intend to do, but rarely achieve. <SNIP>  ...thanks HEM for the inspiration.

At your service :rolleyes:

Similar for the video editting software that I use.  I started my personal "HowTo" document with notes & URLs for things that I used & its often turned out I've needed them again. Document is now 8 pages long.

5 hours ago, optimista said:

We have three zappers and one telly, one sat receiver and a game box. I don t know what activates what. I cannot switch the telly on and get the sat receiver to do its stuff without hubby. Kid you not. I speak various languages and have a university degree frim way back when... and cannot put the telly on...

If its any consolation - nor can I (the downstairs system with recorder & FireTV).  I can drive the simple upstairs one - until early this week (see above).