Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Indoor rock-climbing halls in Munich

36 posts in this topic

Hi,

by no means am I a great climber, but wouldn't mind getting back into going to a gym once or twice a week (before heading to pub). I have found 2 websites for 'Kletterzentrum' and 'Kletterhalle Heavens Gate' (www.kletterzentrum-muenchen.de & www.kletternmachtspass.de). But these gyms are pretty expensive - are there any other (and hopefully cheaper) gyms in town? Surely a city the size of Munich must support more than 2??

Also, can anyone recommend either of the two I mentioned? Kletterhalle Heavens Gate sounds closer to town, cheaper, and friendlier. Are there any pros and cons to either of the gyms, or are they much of a muchness?

Thanks!

Do a search with the little search box in the upper right corner of this page. This subject has been discussed several times. I personally used to (when I was in Munich) go to the one in Thalkirchen (Kletterzentrum). It's cheapest during happy hour. There's also a nice little outdoor bouldering wall off the Buchenhain stop back behind a hotel. Do your search, and you'll find the directions...

Most people hang out at Thalkirchen, High East and Heavens Gate, in that order of preference I think. Tuesday is a popular night for the expat climbers at Thalkirchen - you can meet Scot's, Canadians, French and even an Aussie.

hi, Thalkirchen is the only way to go. get you year's ticket (ca 90.-) and your german alpenverein membership, and it's only 4.-

Happy happy hour is daily 21:00-23:00, half price.

the climbing area at buchenhain is a myth. there's a minature, crumbling pile of conglomerate crap held together by grime and hope, but "bouldering area" is a term not applicable.

There is also the "Kletterbrocken" right next to the sports area to the east of Unterschleissheim.

Only for Members, but noone is checking. it's free, and offers a dozen or so routes for a few post-work sessions. strange, gritty stuff, but not unplesant, and good for toughening up the skin in spring.

AG

PS. yes, munich is big enough for another gym. it's in planning for one of the G'ings

(gilching, gouting, Garching, gelting... can't keep 'em straight)

the climbing area at buchenhain is a myth. there's a minature, crumbling pile of conglomerate crap held together by grime and hope, but "bouldering area" is a term not applicable.

Well, it's the best you're gonna get in Munich, and if you're poor like I was, it'll do. It's small, but that description is a big exaggeration. It's certainly not the best, but the quality is not that bad.

The DAV membership is more than €4 by, I think, an order of magnitude. I assume that's a typo.

I think he meant the reduced entry price per session was 4 Euros, ipj.

Oh, ok, yeah you're right. I thought he was talking about the DAV membership itself for €4. That makes more sense, and in retrospect I'm not sure why I didn't see that.

i go to the olympia swimhalle gym which is pay per use system so no contracts needed and its relatively cheap too not too much more than if you payed a monthly subscription

dont think they have a climbing wall though (afer finally reading you post properly)

its 3.50 for a single time and that gives you access to the gym and swimming pool or 17.50 for 6 sessions (a session lasts from when you get your ticket stamped to when you sign out the place so theoretically you could go from 7am till 11pm :))

place can get packed i go straight after work and its relatively empty but i wouldnt chance the gym on weekends it would be rammed

I only started climbing a few weeks ago, and heaven's gate is all I need for now. We usually go there on saturdays (5,75 €); it's sometimes pretty crowded but it's a nice atmosphere. people say Thalkirchen is nice too, we'll try it as well, but later on.

I went to heavens gate a couple of times. Thalkirchen is by far better as IPJ points out.

Oh and btw ipj they have put in more walls. The stairs from the viewing level to the main floor is now enclosed so its like tunnel-stairs and there are climbing walls on the outside of that enclosure. Kinda cool.

Yeah, I think Thalkirchen is the best place as well, even though it does get a little frustrating in the winter time queuing for routes. From spring onwards the situation is far better since you can climb outside and the queues thin out a little. The social scene there has also got a lot going for it.

High East is not somewhere to be discounted though - the quality of the routes there are as good, if not better, than Tk. You have some "natural" rock features and bolts that are more realistically spaced for an indoor hall, and this give the place a nice feel. It's also less busy than Tk. On the downside, it's harder to get to, there seems to be a shortage of changing room space, and there's no outdoor walls.

Heaven's Gate: some people love it but it aint my cup of tea. The old grain silos, or was it potatoes (?), mean that you need to negotiate an overhang to enter onto most of the routes on the inner silo walls. Once established in a silo, the routes are dead vertical, with smooth walls and spaced bolts. If a hold spins and you lob then enjoy the ride. Bouldering is quite good, but not as good as Tk in my opinion.

Tom17,

I can't make it tonight, dude. You should head down there though, I'm sure a few others from the Tuesday night crew will be down there tonight anyway.

Later,

Bannockburn

I'm heading down there to TK tonight... wearing blue/green prana shirt and speaking english. There are about a dozen other english speakers that are expected. PM me if you want to meet up there...

I've been going to Thalkirchen regularly now since moving here (1-2 times a week) and it's awesome. There is a way to avoid queues for routes in the winter, but a constitution of pig-iron is required ;)

Went last night with Pranaman. My first time since climbing on the outside walls there with IPJ some time last year and it was a great intro back into it. I was expecting my arms to be falling off this morning but they appear to be fully functional :)

Now to re-learn those damn knots! Hopefully be back next week.

I'm heading down to TK tonight if anyone's interested to join. If not, then I will boulder on my own till my fingers are red, calloused, and arthritic :)

Hi,

I'm planning to go to TK on weekend (Saturday afternoon if the weather is good).

Someone interested?

Ivo