English-speaking dentists in Munich

244 posts in this topic

I wish to give a shout out for a dentist who has been super for me. I've had a regular tooth cleaning and examination with him and most recently a root canal (Wurzelbehandlung). His English is excellent (although I've spoken mostly German with him), and the staff are friendly and professional. He seems to really know his stuff: the root canal was a very complicated one ("not covered in the textbooks," as an otherwise healthy tooth had simply cracked down the middle on a hard piece of chocolate). Also, the guy loves America and even thinks about moving there someday to work. These were my first (and only) experiences with a dentist here. His staff offer copious help with with insurance questions and can also suggest options if additional dental insurance is needed. Contact information:

Zahnartzpraxis Dr. Ackermann

Ackermann Alexander Zahnarzt

Neuhauserstr. 47 (S-Bahn/U4/U5: Stachus; from the U-Bahn/S-Bahn exit by the Hugendubel bookstore and McDonalds, 100 meters toward Marienplatz)

80331 München

089/59 12 04

Hi, has anyone ever been to and recommends this dentist ?:

Dr.Sabine Schneider , Leopoldstr 115, 80804

...or another dentist in the Munchner Freiheit area...

thanks

My husband and I both heartily recommend Andrea Schnur, who was trained in the U.S. This means that her hygienist is also trained to US standards.

Dr. Schnur does an excellent job, does not offer unnecessary treatment, and is a pleasure to talk to.

(I went to another dentist the first time around here in Munich, and it took about 30 seconds to clean my teeth. Not good!)

She is at Fasangartenstr. 159; less than one km from the S5.

web site:

andrea-schnurDOTcom

Dr. Martin Schrüfer, is wonderful. His English is great and his explanations and translations were right on. He has a personal interest in us as his patients and our health. He is prevention-oriented but not faddists. X-ray films and a suggested full-mouth study are done unless you have suitable films from your previous dentist and he asks before he ventures into procedures that might have been done. The price of dental work is not the best way to judge quality; high-quality dentistry cannot be done assembly-line style; it takes time and meticulous attention to detail and this is what Dr. Schrüfer does. I have not been to any other dentist here in Munich but I have compared his work and cost and he comes out on top every time 30% cheaper in most cases. I have the highest regard for Dr. Schrüfer and his team.

Here is his contact information.

Bahnhofstr. 20

82152 Planegg

Tel. 089 8594268

I'm looking for a dentist who is really good at replacing amalgam fillings with white composite fillings. Some researchers say that amalgam removal is not recommended because of the release of mercury vapors, but I grind my teeth at night and doesn't that mean that I'm releasing toxic vapors into my body?? Maybe it correlates with my headaches and colds...or maybe I'm just paranoid. Any advice would help. Thanks!!

Go to DAVID RAPAPORT (Speaks French, English, German). I found him on the US/French embassy Website. He has been my life saver ( all painless procedure - replaced my amalgam fillings, etcc.)

Zahnarzt und Artz

Trogerstr. 50, 81675 Munich

Tel: 089 - 47 47 48

Thats my recommendation!

Every dentist can replace Amalgam fillings with Plastic or ceramic.

Find a dentist that you trust. There is no issue of mecury vapours, as the mercury is already vaporized.

Ps- Dr. Rappaport does not have a Dental Hygienist, he uses a prophyhelferin.

Hey guys, Im new on here. I am 35 and a dentist from Toronto, Ontario. I moved to Munich a year ago and am now practicing in Bogenhausen...

If Anyone needs an English speaking dentist... visit our website www.zahnärzte-bogenhausen.de

I moved back to Germany after growing up in North America because I wanted to 'find my roots'. Was born in Nuremberg. Anyways, I would love to have more English speaking patients as I enjoy and miss my N.American Peeps :)

cheers

Markus

I had an excellent experience in Dr. Selmair's practice. First of all, it was centrally located and easy to find by U-bahn stop Münchner Freiheit. The practice is situated in the heart of Munich, in the beautiful Munich-Schwabing on Clemensstrasse. I saw Dr. Selmair to have a wisdom tooth removed, which I was hesitant about, after hearing that several of my friends had bad experiences with this procedure. Dr. Selmair assured me that it would be easy and painless. She did the procedure in two steps, the first removing the gum tissue around the tooth and the second removing the tooth itself. The injections she gave were quick and painless and only numbed the single tooth she was working on, not my entire mouth, lips, and tongue which was especially nice. When she removed the wisdom tooth, it took less than three seconds and I did not feel anything at all. I did not feel any pressure, pulling, or pain of any kind. I didn't hear any frightening noises or feel uncomfortable in any way. It was the quickest and most painless procedure I have ever had at a dental office, and was a surprisingly pleasant experience overall. Dr. Selmair took the time to assure me that everything would go smoothly, and it was evident how hard she works to build trust in her patients. She was confident yet gentle and I have since then recommended her to all of my friends in and around Munich. After my extraction, I took one Ibeuprofin for preventative measures and ate pasta for dinner that evening. By the next day I was eating as I normally would and didn't need any medication as I had no pain. The extraction site healed completely within a week and I couldn't have been happier with the whole experience. I highly recommend this talented dentist, who is not only fluent in my native language of English, but also her native language of German and French as well! Contact information: Telephone: 089 3006283 Address: Clemensstr. 21A 80803 Munich U-bahn: Münchner Freiheit

My dentist :

Birgit Eichner

Steinsdorfstr. 15

D-80538 München

Tel 089/223803

Fax 089/22802078

email Zahnarztpraxis@Dr-Eichner.de

Near Rosenheimer Platz S-Bahn, along the Isar. Did two root canals. Fairly satisfied with her English and treatment of course.

Hey there, Markus Gumbmann again..

Im actually thinking of advertising officially on here to find english speaking patients... find it much fun to work with native english speakers... germans can be really really uptight!

any input would be good... experiences with advertising on here etc etc

Markus Gumbmann

089 47 48 68

... Dr. Ralph McKinley Wood (Residenzstr. 14, 089 221 828) ... he did not try to "sell" me on anything extra. Walked out with only paying 10 Euro. I would HIGHLY recommend him...but keep in mind I don't have any major dental issues.

My experience exactly. I broke a tooth - it was damaged from a poor quality filling anyway, then I knocked my chin quite hard, and a piece broke off exposing the filling. I called for an appointment and was seen within 30 minutes. I was out of the office within an hour with a painless repair job. Can't recommend him enough!

Does anyone have any recommendations on root canals/Wurzelbehandlung in Munich? I have read the other entries here on Toytown about this and they are old. I am very worried about the cost because of some other personal issues (my wife and I are expecting twins for example). I am afraid that the money I have been saving to provide my little family's basic needs is going to disappear into my sick tooth/roots! Are there any Zusatsverischerungen that cover this? How much will it cost? Does it cost extra to be knocked out for the procedure (my teeth are extremely sensitve).

Hi,

Wurzelbehandlung/Root canal treatment :

Just my 2 cents, important point: the dentist should have a kind of microscope to see all your root canals. Sometimes you have a "hidden" root canal that can only be seen with this microscope.

It is a big machine, not just the normal high amplification glasses.

If the Wurzelbehandlung is well done, you can keep your tooth forever (well not exactly forever, but 20-30 years, you understand).

If the doctor does not find a root canal then it will get infected at some point and you will have to go back again and have the procedure repeated which lowers the chances of being a successful dental treatment.

Good luck!

Hey there,

I am looking for a decent english speaking dentist in or around Munich. While I want to develop my language skills I feel more comfortable speaking about health problems in English!

Also what are prices etc like across here? Fairly the same as GB?

Thanks,

A

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

I've used Dr Weller (nr U-Mailingerstrasse), speaks very good english, as did the hygenist. Just had check up, clean & x-rays, cost about €100 which isn't much different from my UK dentist

Apparently only positive reviews are allowed, no matter how bad your experience, at least with the paid advertisers. The good part is that I haven't been to the other two and they might be okay. I'll be visiting Otto Wich, as he seems to have the most random positive reviews from actual TT members who have more than 1 post.

I went with Otto Wich too. He was recommended to me by a work colleague and he was the first dentist I had been to in about 15 years as I had extreme fear of dentists. My fear was compounded by the reason for my visit which was a, lets just say ready to be removed, wisdom tooth.

But he was great. I did it under local anaethseia (even though i'm shit scared of needles, and in my fookin mouth too!!!) and he was very reassuring and patient with my fears. I can definately recommend him, especially for those that are scared of dentists, like me

Ok, another vote for Otto Wich (posted earlier on this thread). I am really scared of going to the dentist and always postpone it as long as possible. I admit it. Read here on the thread about Dr.Wich and went to him twice. I am privately insured, but he takes normal publicly insured patients as well. I didn't have to wait at all, got treated professionally, painlessly, friendly and quickly. I just needed my teeth cleaned, calculus removed etc. He had to redo an old outer filling (a filling on top of a tooth, no caries). Not only can I not even see the filling at the moment, but my fear of dentists is subsiding *slightly*. The guy is fluent in English, kind of cute (for the ladies) and very professional. He is in Haydnstr. 9, 80336 Munich. Tel.089-53 10 83. I also already got my bill and he send me a very fair one! Considering that they normally try to bleed you dry the moment they see you are privately insured.. Will return here. <-- Note my lovely clean teeth currently.

Hi,

I just came back form a dentist and I need to recommend this guy. Some people already mentioned him.

Dr Otto Wich

Haydnstr 9

089/531083

He explained everything well, took his time and I didn't feel a thing. My husband had a root treatment before me and he said that it was also a great experience since he hates dentists.

I would like to thank all of you who recommended Dr. Otto Wich.

I went to see him this week (after putting off the inevitable for way to long) and he was very patient, explaining everything that needs to be done.

Dr. Otto Wich, Haydnstr. 9, Tel. 53 10 83

I would definately recommend Dr. Otto Wich.

He is patient, does not overcharge you (or charge you more to speak English) and has so far been the best dentist I have visited in Munich by far.

Dr. Otto Wich, Haydnstr. 9, Tel. 53 10 83

Thank you to all those who recommended Dr. Otto Wich!!

Finally, I've found a dentist I can stick with. I just had him replace a filling and he was great.