English-speaking dentists in Munich

241 posts in this topic

Really qualified dentists! Always interested in the health of your teeth and your whole body system and NOT in short-term solutions.

Praxis Dr. Schmidseder und Dr. Mardi

smilecare center Isartor

Tel. +49-89-292090

Fax +49-89-222268

Hotline 0700-2000 2005

Mariannenstr.5

80538 München

www.schmidseder-mardi.de

Never let a dentist pull your tooth!!! Before a dentist wants to do that go to the mentioned practice and ask their opinion. I know so many people whose dentist decided way much too early to pull out a teeth. Even the wisdom teeth don't always have to be pulled out. Take care, there a many dentists around who are not working very professional!

Even the wisdom teeth don't always have to be pulled out.

Wisdom teeth don't always need to be pulled out, but they often do. Because they errupt so late in life and often appear in 4 corners of the mouth simultaneously they disturb the bite (layout of established teeth) and can impact next to or underneath other teeth causing long term problems, disruption and pain. Any good dentist will monitor progress of wisdom teeth developement during teens so they can forecast the early need for potential extraction as soon as possible.

Also, its better to get Wisdom teeth pulled when they are most of the way out than when they are in the gums (if they dont' cause you any problems early on that is).

I got one of mine out that was causing a problem, and it was a fair way out of the gum at the time. It took 30 seconds and was completely healed in about 2 days. No big deal at all.

I was on the understanding that Dr. Kurze skipped town a year ago, after he was repeately in court for 'malpractice' charges? He was advertising to sell, but because of his bad name, he couldn't. But, hey that is only what I heard from inside sources.

As for the Wisdom teeth- sometimes they have to be removed, sometimes not. You have to evaluate every case as it is. I had mine out years ago, and am better for it. In most cases there is not enough room for them to grow in properly, and they lead to gum problems and effect the 2nd molars. I personally like to see them gone! they are too hard to clean and the patient cannot clean them properly, therefore they are a sespool of bacteria.

In some points I am with you guys! But this is what I am saying. If there is no problem with the wisdom teeth, if one can clean them correctly and if they are in a right position and as long as they don't cause an infection. They should not be pulled!!!

I still have my wisdom teeth and I am absolutely fine with them and love them! :-)

To pull all the wisdom teeth without a reason is a typical old school method.

@tinap

DO NOT go to Ulrich Kurze! He's been featured in Focus and in the Abendzeitung for bad work and shifty practices. Unfortunately for me, that was only AFTER he tried to get me to do some funny stuff with my insurance. Rumor has it that he's packed up shop and skipped the country to get away from all the troubles he's gotten himself into, so you probably won't be able to go to him anyway.

To pull all the wisdom teeth without a reason is a typical old school method.

Actually Old School is to keep then til they are full of caries, the patient is in pain, and then you can charge a surgical extraction. That unfortunately is the German way! :(

I have worked in the dental profession for almost 10 years here in Germany, and I see more than my share of wisdom teeth that should have been removed years ago, but are still there, causing problems, and the patient will not get them out, because some awful German Dentist told them years ago, 'No, you can keep your wisdom teeth!'

There already has been this debate on another thread about wisdom teeth. Its the thread listed above- Dental Procedures, Cost ect. Read it and get informed.

Hello Carm,

I talked to 2 dentists about that. One of them studied in the US the other one in Germany. And both said that it is the old school method to pull them without a reason.

As I said before good dentists will check if the patient is able to clean them properly and if they can why should they get caries?

Did you think about people who have no good oral hygiene? People who don't go to the professional teeth cleaning. Those people get caries because of their own fault. You can't except from your teeth to stay healthy without taking care of them. And even if one have caries in the wisdom teeth they can be treated like all other teeth. They don't have to be pulled only because of caries.

But as I said before: If someone has technical problems to clean them because of physical circumstances a good dentist will recommend to pull them.

"Eine systematische Entfernung aller verlagerten Zähne ohne triftigen Grund - also ausschließlich aus prophylaktischen Gründen - gilt heute als veraltet." (Techniker Krankenkasse)

Ok, another vote for Otto Wich (posted earlier on this thread). I am really scared of going to the dentist and always postpone it as long as possible. I admit it. Read here on the thread about Dr.Wich and went to him twice. I am privately insured, but he takes normal publicly insured patients as well. I didn't have to wait at all, got treated professionally, painlessly, friendly and quickly. I just needed my teeth cleaned, calculus removed etc. He had to redo an old outer filling (a filling on top of a tooth, no caries). Not only can I not even see the filling at the moment, but my fear of dentists is subsiding *slightly*. The guy is fluent in English, kind of cute (for the ladies) and very professional. He is in Haydnstr. 9, 80336 Munich. Tel.089-53 10 83. I also already got my bill and he send me a very fair one! Considering that they normally try to bleed you dry the moment they see you are privately insured.. Will return here. :D <-- Note my lovely clean teeth currently.

For those who are looking for a good dentist in Munich I recommend Dr.Otto Wich,Haydnstras,9,80336 Munich.Tel-089531083.Very proffessional and doesnot charge above the reasonable rate.

Was just about to post about Winklesberg - he's excellent. I had a couple of things done last visit, including teeth whitening, and wanted to see how it would be paid by my insurence. Happily they covered everything he did (which i could not say about my last dentist, who basically got euro signs in his eyes everytime he saw me, even though i never had anything major done).

Also think his surgery is very nice, pleasant staff and surroundings, and even though i saw "the marathon man" at a young and impressionable age, he didn't hurt or scare me in the least.

Has anyone ever had anything done by Dr. Andrea Schnurr??

Or can you recommend another dentist near Unterhaching?? I need ot have some cavities filled..NOT looking foward

Dr. Schnurr is great! She speaks English like a native, was trained in the US, is up-to-date on new treatments, and is young and hence not likely to retire soon. Unlike my previous German dentist, she believes in professional cleaning and employs a really good dental hygenist to do it.

When I was last there, she could only accept private or privately insured patients. That may have changed in the meantime, however.

And she is easily reachable by e-mail, for example to request an appointment or ask about what insurance she accepts:

ASchnurDDS@t-online.de

Address: Fasangartenstr. 159, corner of Hermelinweg (entrance and parking on Hermelinweg). This is just across the street from the old US military Perlacher Forst housing area, if that means anything to you.

she believes in professional cleaning and employs a really good dental hygenist to do it.

actually not! She has a German ZMF- a german trained assistant that learns to do supra gingival cleanings, not below the gum line. :(

Just a major bitch of mine about Hygiene in Germany! <_<

I know the 10 DH's in Munich, and she doesn't employ one!

I now go to Dr. Schnurr. I have had no problems with her and find her honest and up front about everything. No complaints from me.

Carm

Are you a dentist? Are you taking new (Winnipeg) patients?

I am a Dental Hygienist (U of Manitoba trained) working here almost 10 years. But I do trust my bosses enough to let them work on me. (I am extremely picky!).

And I trust Carm's training more than most of the German dentists I have been to (can't afford to entrust all my dental care to her bosses!! ).

I skimmed through the posts, and may have missed it, but does (or did) anyone recommend the dentist that kicked off this post, 'Praxis Weller'? Any good experiences there? I like that they offer general anasthesia, as I need something like this...

Another question... in the US, I always had nitrous oxide at the dentist, which was reasonable at $30 a pop, but have never seen this offered here. Is it an option in Germany? Or am I just an idiot and that is what they are calling general anasthesia...?

Maybe our resident, fully-qualified DH, Carm, can offer her insights. I am all for full-qualifications, and was grateful to learn from her posts above.

Cheers!

nitrous is not a big thing here. Nitrous is a gas used to calm a patient. I used it at one office in Canada- but most the time I never turned it on, and the patients were fine, as long as they thought it was on.

Never seen it in any of the offices I have worked at or visited. Alot of office offer IV sedation or Full General for larger treaments. I do treat some patients due to sever nervousness under Full General. But a session costs about 500 Euro per time. That is the Anesthetis fee, the dentist gets none of that.

Topical Anesthetic is also not used that often due to the allergies and toxic effects.