English-speaking dentists in Munich

244 posts in this topic

Holy Scheisse! If I were you, I'd go to Dr. Suess, just to be able to say that your doctor is Dr. Suess! (on a related note, I once had a dentist named Dr. Pepper :))

Dr. Kurze is a very good dentist, and his English is very decent, though not great. He does have a super-friendly receptionist whose English is excellent. See http://www.creative-zahnaerzte.de. I don't know how he is with the public insurance though, because I've got private.

For an opthalmalogist, Dr. Marcel Gerbert is good, friendly and his English is excellent. His background includes Stanford, Johns Hopkins and UCAL San Francisco. 089/475147, Max-Weber-Platz 11.

Err... this hear private and public means something different, as the public Krankenkasse no longer covers dentists, you have to get an extra insurance for that !

I just today spent 3 hours in the chair of Dr Heinz Werner Sanner (Sendlinger-Tor-Platz 7; tel. 591053). He speaks great english and is a very nice bloke. Hi tech stuff too - he showed me photos of all the decay in my mouth before he tore into it ;). I can highly recommend him.

Only thing is his assistants don't speak too much English (though they are all very friendly and attentive) - you could just get a work colleague to make the appointments for you.

My dentist Ulrich Kurze is *fabulous* and his new RTL series "Alles ist möglich" starts on September 21st at 9:15pm.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

FYI- for everyone who sees Dr. Kurze- this is from Saturday's Abendzeitung-

"Obwohl er wegen 'eklatanter Falschbehandlung' und fragwürdiger Abrechnungen verurteilt war, hat RTL den Münchener Zahnartz Ulrich Kurze laut 'Focus' als Experten in einer Schönheits-OP-Doku auftreten lassen. RTL wusste laut Sprecherin Heike Schultz nichts von der Vorgeschichte."

to sum it up- RTL didn't do their research to find out their 'Expert' has been found guilty of unnecessary treatment and bad billing. :blink:

hm, 'eklatanter Falschbehandlung' is much more serious than unnecessary treatment. More along the lines of 'blagrant' or 'striking' maltreatment. Ouch.

Does anybody have any more information about this? At least a link? I've had a lot of work done by Dr. Kurze, and I'm a bit confused at the moment about his billing practices.

I have no link, as I wrote out the whole article from the AZ paper from Saturday. But you could try the Bayrische Zahnärtz Kammer, they are the registering body of the dentists here in Bayern. Or, try calling him yourself and asking about the bill. It should all be explained to you if you do not understand it.

Well I'm more than happy with both the work he did and his billing in my personal case and won't use any other dentist.

There was a big article in this weeks Focus- did read it, it seems Dr. Kurze is no stranger to the courts, since 99 has been regularily charged with false billings and 'korperverletzungen'. Problem is in Germany they never take a license to practice away, and his should be. If we were in any other country he would be charged with malpractice and lose his license. He also says he is a Keiferchirigue, but has no qualifications.

I don't care if you want to go see him again, but I will not let others be mislead. He is on the list of English Speaking Dentists here in Munich, and all should be properly informed. The last charge against him he was found guilty but only had to pay a 20000 euro fine! A drop in the bucket, considering the 'under the table' money he is taking in.

www.focus.de (March 26th íssue)

Katrina you have been lucky, but he has done some serious damage to other people. Apparently (according to Focus) he has a huge file at the Betriebsgericht.

Just read the article

Holy cow! And they let him practice??? I don't trust dentists in Germany in general (having known a few studying the "art" at University here) but I can't believe they can't do something against a dentist who was found guilty of filing someone's healthy teeth off and not giving him the remaining treatment until he paid cash with no receipt.

Then again, I always get a second (or third) opinion anytime a dentist wants to do work on me or my family - and my suspicions have almost always been justified.

David Casey has gone back to Ireland.

@ DDbug

I had the opposite experience. I went to the dentist last year because I had a huge whole in one of my teeth, and she said no we will wait, and then in Feb I went to another one and he also said leave it and only did the filling because I insisted on it.

@YL6

Thanks, but I've already read the Focus article. What I was looking for is the Abendzeitung one. Anyone have a copy of that?

I wrote out the whole article as it appeare in last saturdays AZ, it was just a small note, refering to the Focus article.

Just found a good english speaking dentist

Helmut Sconfeld

Isartalstr 18 80469 Munchen

He is really honest and very fast service.

I can really recommned (and I've tried a few :blink: ) ...

Dr. Ralph M. Wood

Residenzstr. 14,

München

089 221 828 089 225 832

A US dentist who has been working here for years. Very central location.

I've had a few things done and no complaints. He will not rest until you are happy with the treatment.

And he is Krankenkasse friendly!

<_< Thanks, I have an appointment for tonight to have my teeth cleaned. We will see. :unsure: