English-speaking dentists in Munich

241 posts in this topic

Hi,

I can only warmly recommend my dentist, Dr. Barenklau, he'struly the best dentist I have even been to and I am a major dentist phobia, big time! He's explained what he would have to do to and the time frame etc, also extremely gentle and patient. Polite and kind.

http://www.praxis-baerenklau.de/

He's german but speaks perfect English, French and I believe Italian.

He also tells the cost of the works that has to be done and what is covered usually by inssurance.

Can not fault his practice as well, the receptionist and assistant is very polite and accommodating.

If you are like me and always feared dentist for years, well fear no more, he is the best!

I can say the same for this practice. It is a husband/wife team and they are both incredibly nice and gentle and excellent. Will also discuss cost and willing to work out payment plans if necessary. Just ask for what you need.

I went ahead with your suggestion, Fr Fruit, based on previous recommendations. So far, so good. He was very nice, gentle, explained things and is actually hopeful my tooth can be saved. Thanks

I can highly recommend Dr. Susanne Würmser - http://www.zahnarztpraxis-in-muenchen.de/

She is super lovely and experienced, speaks good English, very gentle and prices are fair.

I usually get quite afraid of visiting the dentist but she put me at ease.

Well, some months later I'm no longer satisfied with the Herschbach practice. I got hit with a bill of nearly a grand for some fillings whose prices were never discussed with me.

Very disappointing. I was told that the plastic fillings could cost about 70 Euro IF they were bigger - when I got the bill, most of the fillings were charged 167 to 200 Euro. I complained and they have reduced the bill, but obviously I won't be going there again.

Make sure you get a written quote before you do anything major. I thought I had found a good dentist but clearly not. Although they are nice enough and take their time to explain things.

I found a dentist on Jameda for my son, and later on I also went to see him, and he is quite good, he speaks good English, not perfect but we both understand each other, he found a cavity from the X ray and told me he will fix it, I asked him how much and he told me it's on the house. Later on he found out the cavity was actually bigger than he had expected, he still did it for me for free. He is a really nice Dentist, to my kids and me as well. totally happy with him and no hidden cost. His name is Dr. Jochen Motz, google him.

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hi,

can you please recommend me a cheaper teeth cleaning Praxis, than the one I currently use? I currently pay 100€ in the place where I go, but apart from the price, I'm not very satisfied with the depth of the cleaning...

It doesn't need to be English-speaking, but it should be in the city...

Thanks a lot

€100(or more!) is about standard for teeth cleaning in Germany, although some Krankenkasse offer to pay up to 80% of the costs (funnily enough I only heard this yesterday from Shorty's dentist - apparently AOK in Saxony have introduced this, but have not made it public - the dentist recommended phoning my Krankenkasse to ask if they also cover this...)

I, however, am with Novitas BKK (Gesetzlichversichert), who cover the cost 100% for having teeth cleaned up to twice per year at particular dental practices.

Hello,

I need to see a dentist and have no dental insurance. All I want is a good scaling. I do realize that most all dentists require xrays but a couple i contacted on TT wanted over 400 euros for the x rays and scaling. I am not in a position to pay this much at the present time. I began drinking black tea about 9 months ago which i had never done before and my upper front teeth are disgusting. Funny, i have lived in Italy for years and drank espresso coffee full strength but never tea. I notice the coffee mugs i had been drinking tea with the stains are almost impossible to get out of cups without a great deal of scrubbing. Odd it is just the middle of the upper front teeth and so embarrassing. I had a winning smile, no more. But i just refuse to spend this much money, might have to.

Spoke with a pharmacist yesterday and she suggested baking soda or salt in small amounts. She told me that those whitening kits are now banned in Germany. I dont know about that but if not they should be, they destroy the enamel.

She also suggested going somewhere outside of Munich. The two i checked out one was in Swabbing and gets the highest kudos here so i guess many either are very well off or have terrific dental insurance. The other charged more and both so greedy, and dont take cc and wont bill told me i had to run down to the cash machine three blocks away i never went back.

Anyone know of a good dentist here in Munich or i dont care, even Augsburg i must get these awful tea stains off my front teeth or i shall never smile again. Thx. I dont mind paying 200 or even 250 euros but my god 400 plus for a teeth cleaning! This is nuts. Thx to anyone who has an idea. PM me if you like. I would be most grateful. Kate

I can't see where you get 400€ from. I pay 40€ for a simple cleaning and 140€ for something more thorough (about an hour in the chair). Not having dental insurance is somewhat foolish.

@kateuk:

If you promise to set your location to Munich (i.e., to where you actually are), I'll tell you a decent dentist:

Dr. Jens Kober

Elisabethstr. 30

80796 München

Telefon: (089) 2719385

Call and ask for prices, he seemed to be reasonable to me.

For those who live in and around Starnberg area ( and Munich as well S-6), I strongly recommend Dr. Walter Jockle in Feldafing (82340). Telefon 08157/2630. He has been practicing in Feldafing for the past 35 years! so go figure! He and his associates speak decent English, no worries about communicating. I have gone to several dentists in and around Munich, but all left a bad taste in my mouth!

I can confirm what Metall said:

Dr. Jens Kober

Elisabethstr. 30

80796 München

Telefon: (089) 2719385

He is a very nice down to earth dentist.

The same job that another dentist wanted to do for 2000€ , he can do it for 800 at the same quality. And he was not just pushing me to do it, he was taking it easy and just suggesting the possibility..

Really satisfied, we were speaking in English...

Yes, Dr. Kober is the dentist who basically rebuilt my mouth from.. not much left...

They have their own dental technician who works at the same office making crown etc., a rare thing these days.

They had conferences with me in the chair while doing all my crowns and bridges :) , made me feel like a work of art.

I still think my teeth are.

My impression of Dr. Jens Kober

I was with him for more than 10 years, he seems ok at first glance with a good prices and friendly, much of the work I am happy with.

But

1)

I first went to him, recommended by a friend, after one of my teeth broke in half, he recommended it be pulled, I did this and he fitted a bridge. The bridge lasted for 12 years ( he garented the work for 10 years ), it then broke from the tooth at the front. The font tooth was breaking apart under the pressure from the bridge, he wanted to glue it back and it would be cheap, I talked to allot of other dentists and was told, yes I could do that, but that the tooth in front was not strong enough to support a bridge and that, if it was glued again, the next time it comes lose could break the tooth in front.

The problem is you never know what will happen, its all a guess

I decided to repair the front tooth and have a an implant instead, as I did not want to take the risk, of causing further damage to the front tooth. I talked about this issue with Dr. Jens Kober and he did it, but he did not want to, not sure why. He cannot do the surgery for the implant, I had to go else where for that, maybe that has something to do with it.

2)

I had route canal work done on 1 of my teeth by Dr Kober, he accidental broke the instrument in the tooth ( which can happen ). Again after 8 years the crown he had put on the affected tooth came of, an infection had ccome into the tooth. Again I went round the other dentists to get some options on what to do. I went to see some of the top dentists in Munich, they all said take the tooth out for various reasons. Most said that because the route canal instrument was in the tooth and there was not much left of it then it was hopeless, and I was asking for trouble in the future, would be a waist of money to try.

I went to the Fachpraxis in Munich in the end because they had a new technique to re move the instrument from the tooth and then grind down the bone around the tooth to allow a new crown to be made that would fit well enough to stop the infection from returning. that was more than a year a go now, I need to go back in September to check if everything is ok, but so far from the x-rays everything looks good.

The Fach praxis is very very expensive and I just hope it works. The fach praxis were able to remove the instrument from the top of the tooth, everybody else wanted to remove the bottom part of the tooth and pull out the instrument from below.

3) The rest of the work Dr. Jens Kober has done has been more or less ok in my opinion. Which includes crowns, inlays and fillings

In the end I am not sure what to think about Dr. Jens Kober, I am not sure if my teeth are just crap and maybe all the problems I got would have come anyway, I am just saying that's what happened. He is friendly, not pushy and seems quite good value for money compared with other dentists in Munich - and I still have to see what happens with my new dentist. Maybe some jobs need the skills of an expensive dentist.

Hi All,

I would highly recommend visiting Dr Med. dentist Isabel Selmair. I pretty much had the best dental experience ever - and I hate dentists. The office is extremely clean and has a very calming atmosphere. The staff are wonderful and Dr Isabel Selmair is just lovely. She made me feel totally at ease with my teeth - and I felt like she really cared about my situation and wanted to help me fix my teeth. It is very reasonably priced and I can't say again how highly I would recommend going to her practice. She also speaks fantastic English.

Here is the link for those of you who need to see a great dentist:

http://www.drselmair.de/

Hi Guys,

I moved to Munich over two years ago and pretty much neglected any form of dentist since being here. I brushed twice a day and hoped for the best... That didn't work out too well and a couple of months ago I started to develope some pretty bad tooth pain, which was getting worse by the day. This prompted me to stop being an idiot and actually seek out a dentist. I put in a lot of research and due to the high level of positive reviews and the apparent accommodation of English speakers, I decided to go for Dr. Selmair (http://www.drselmair.de/)

I called up the practice, explained my symptoms and was given an appointment a couple of weeks later - due to the popularity of the practice, expect at least a week or so waiting period. Upon the first visit I was given an xray which revealed the underlying causes of my pain, in addition to a few other developing cavities that needed to be sorted out before they got worse. I was immediately scheduled in for a few appointments which spanned the following month, as well as being placed on a waiting list to take any cancellations. Dr. Selmair herself is American and her whole team speak fantastic English, as well as always being welcoming and hospitable, so I immediately felt comfortable within the practice - and importantly could express my symptoms fully.

The cause of my pain was actually a very deep cavity, which had reached the nerve of the affected tooth. The only solution was a root canal treatment, which was not as painful as it sounds! The procedure was completed to an incredibly high standard and I opted for a composite filling on top - you actually can't tell any work was done on the tooth at all, it looks very natural. Thankfully, the other cavities required less invasive measures and could be treated with a simple filling (after the cavity was removed). I must also say that the day after my root canal I was experiencing a lot of pain and was quite worried. After calling the practice I was seen immediately (literally 1 hour later) to make sure everything was in order. It turned out that the pain was being caused by swelling of my gums from the anesthetic injections. I was reassured that everything looks great and the pain would fade, which it did. Despite nothing actually being wrong, I truly appreciated the attention that was paid to my situation and of course the reassurance I received!

Overall, I have been thoroughly impressed with the high level of professionalism and care in which I was treated by Dr. Selmair and her team. Nothing ever felt rushed, and Dr. Selmair always took the time to explain to me exactly what was happening and how each procedure was going to be performed. This was both reassuring and interesting, especially knowing the ins and outs of a root canal! The equipment used was also state of the art, with detailed photos being taken before, during and after each procedure to show the journey the tooth has been through and how it has been left.

The practice accepts both Private and Public health insurance (and I covered by AoK). Most treatment you could ever need will be covered by your public health insurance, however, there are options to go for paid options/improvements - such as the composite filling I received.

Honestly, I couldn't recommend this practice enough. Needless to say, I am thankful that the work on my teeth is (almost) over, but I couldn't have been treated any better and will definitely make my regular checkups here! Thanks, Nick :)