Lack of politeness by Germans

955 posts in this topic

Thanks for your pleasant reply Topsy.

you're most welcome

I am sure you are just the sort of person that will be very happy in Germany and will fit in very well.

...and I'd be prepared to wager that you're the sort of person who'd find summat to whinge about wherever they were.

It took me years to get used to their rudeness and I still don´t like it... I now go "Auge um Auge" when I am with Germans, that´s the only thing they understand, unfortunately...

Bingo. For me at least.

Hey it's different here. It' s not personal, it's the way things are done.

Topsy in Cambridge they were probably townies thinking you were a student ;)

We used to play a game at work in Hamburg called "Bowling For Germans". It was a veritable rat run through the buildings after alighting from the ferry and after a few times being stuffed into the corner of doors flung back in your face etc you start to become quite uncompromising in your outlook upon personal space and allowing people through a door before you.

The object of the game is to make sure you get through the doorway first and immediately as you reach freedom from the doorway turn 90 degrees with a rucksack on your back, amazing how innocent you can look after a while having just forced someone into an emergency stop or ushered them into the door instead.

Very petty i know and totally childish but sometimes small victories achieved on the way to the office can put a whole new complexion on the day instead of being sat seething and rubbing your shin where the door hit you ( again ). :P

Having a weird and wicked sense of English humour I used to amuse myself by opening doors - or at least holding doors open - for folk just to see their bemused, confused reaction... myself I would wear a big smile - which also confused them... in the meantime (13 years later), the novelty's worn off and I have to get my kicks by other weird and wicked means...

you're most welcome

...and I'd be prepared to wager that you're the sort of person who'd find summat to whinge about wherever they were.

Lovely to have you back Topsy, where you bin. :)

so did you only have these rude experiences in Munich or have you lived all over Germany and experienced smaller towns for example?

I resided in Heidelberg. I have visited Munich, although only for a few days at a time. I did love it if that helps and would welcome the opportunity to live there for a while.

not directed to you TheMoth but to those posters in general who refer to Germans as malicious people who wouldn't help others in distress etc. it seems hypocritical to me that they choose to remain in Germany, if it's so much more wonderful where you're from, or indeed somewhere else, perhaps it's time to leave?

Well I would concur that if one despises a place so much, they should indeed leave. However, is pointing out rudeness amongst a population an indicator that one despises the place or is one simply stating a fact? I had German friends who described Germans as rude.

Personally speaking, I found a greater lack of manners and consideration there than in any other place I had ever visited or resided. However, it was hardly overwhelming and thus not a justification to slam the entire society or leave. It was far from the entire picture.

Some here have said it is simply not an issue to Germans themselves. So be it. One must learn to live with it and I did indeed live it without slugging anyone. But that does not mean I can pretend it was not so.

I also think that when anyone lives in another land, there is a natural tendency to accentuate the negative. It teeters between honesty and pettiness, but its part of human nature.

One thing about Germany it makes you realise how Great Britain is.

Why do people get so upset when you only say what you believe.

I can understand why people like living in Germany. ( i think)

My favorite place in this part of the world is Koblenz at the confluence of the Rhine and Mosel it is a fine city the old town in particular. With it connections to the break up of The Holy Roman Empire it is well worth a visit.

If you go find The Oxford Shop it sells all English up market cloths run by older german ladies who speak delightfull posh english. they are realy nice people but beware if they realise you are English they will go on and on about how dissapointed they were when M&S pulled out of D. There is also one of the best cigar shops I have found it has a huge walk in humidor upstairs where they ply you with coffee whilst you decide what to buy.

I have to get my kicks by other weird and wicked means...

Well now they're used to you doing it you could open the doors until they almost get there, and then slam them in their faces ;)

Im writing using my sisters forum ID.. she has been living here but I visit her only occasionally

I'll sell you your own personal Toytown ID for just €10. Cheap at twice the price!

perhaps it's time to leave

When will you people who keep trotting out this tired old phrase realise that there are some people who would like to but are here because circumstances force them to be? Well, yeah, maybe they could "go back where they came from" to live on the streets because they don't have a job there, but it isn't a sensible choice, is it. Just because you're a multi-millionaire who doesn't have to worry about the realities of normal life doesn't mean we all are.

THe most concerning thing about all of this is, just how often has Topsy fallen over in the last 11 years?? It sounds like quite a regular event when you see how much of a deal she is making of it...

I was talking to my sis today who lives in London and she said she was only offered a seat TWICE during her many public transport trips whilst pregnant. She says even then it was by fellas who were a bit long in the tooth. Says it all about 'polite' Britain. Some elements remain but they're almost lost on the youth of today. I find the German youngsters to be reasonably considerate by comparison. I drone on and on about British politeness to whoever will listen, but I'm beginning to doubt it myself now. Are the Germans impolite? Probably. Are we any better (speaking as a Brit)? I'd like to think so but I'm not so sure anymore. My main tip for dealing with impoliteness = laugh at them. They'll get the message and you'll work out of the shop or wherever with a grin on your face. Maybe you can save up all these experiences and write a boring book about German behaviour someday!!!

You wanna live in the US. Politeness is like a bloody religion over here.. All this "How are you today?" and "Have a nice day!" coming at you from all angles... I cannot shop in bloody peace without being confronted by some shop clerk asking if I need help with finding anything with that Walmart-induced smile. They even apologise for being in a bad bloody mood here as well.

so did you only have these rude experiences in Munich or have you lived all over Germany and experienced smaller towns for example?

not directed to you TheMoth but to those posters in general who refer to Germans as malicious people who wouldn't help others in distress etc. it seems hypocritical to me that they choose to remain in Germany, if it's so much more wonderful where you're from, or indeed somewhere else, perhaps it's time to leave?

have had this discussion with you before on this, you find it fine here and the people very friendly, well, alot of us don't. Different strokes.

I find the Germans in general rude and pushy...much more than other nationalities. My experience, its not right, its not wrong, its MY experience.

I am also one of those people that get fet up with others saying 'you can leave', maybe some can, maybe some cannot, you don't know the reasons everyone is here, so its not so black and white.

If I knew I could have 6 weeks holidays back in Canada, with my German Salary, I would be there in a flash... the people are not rude there at all.

If we are not allowed to vent about the 'daily' life once in awhile then what can we vent about? <_<

You wanna live in the US. Politeness is like a bloody religion over here.. All this "How are you today?" and "Have a nice day!" coming at you from all angles... I cannot shop in bloody peace without being confronted by some shop clerk asking if I need help with finding anything with that Walmart-induced smile. They even apologise for being in a bad bloody mood here as well.

Starbucks is one of the worst. I feel as though I'm supposed to bow to the god of politeness every time I go in. The coffee's good, lots of power points for the laptop but, please spare me the hyper obsequious attitude. A little German standoffishness would be greatly welcome.

we all have different experiences that's true, I accept opinions on mine, this is a discussion forum.

I still fail to see why sweeping generalisations are sometimes made and exaggerrated from one or two negative experiences here.

I had negative experiences in London but I wouldn't say the whole of England is like that.

I reckon it's the north/south divide, moonboot - it's the bleedin shandy-drinking southerners that are rude in England, you have to go up north to find decent folk :P