Elterngeld and Kindergeld (various info/advice)

598 posts in this topic

My wife is expecting twins in the near future. Does anyone know how I can claim child benefits and how much I will get.

I also have a feeling that I can claim tax back for items relating to the welfare of the children. Anybody got advice?

Firstly, congrats on the twins - bet you'll be busy for a while! Anyway I reckon you are entitled to at least two things:-

1. Erziehungsgeld

2. Kindergeld It looks like you have to go through the Arbeitsamt for this.

You should also check to see if you can get some extra paid leave for the birth of your babies.

You should be able to get the forms for Erziehungsgeld from the hospital at the same time you register the birth. For Kindergeld go to the Arbeitsamt. Once you have birth certificates you can get your tax card from your employer and then take it to your local Rathaus to have your tax allowances ammended.

I don't know about specific tax deductibles but if you have a midwife booked to visit after the twins come home from hospital she should be able to help with these sorts of questions.

Best wishes and good luck to all 4 of you !

rebecca you dont get your tax allowances changed any more it is done at the end of the year with your tax claim. It has no effect if you have one child or 10 children on your tax card.

Oh well, its 3 years since my youngest was born. I'm a bit puzzled now about why our kids names and dates of birth are detailed on the Steuereklarung, is that for other purposes?

that is for the kinderfreibetrag. that is why the children are listed on the steuererklärung. as i said it is not required to have the children on the tax card anymore. it is all sorted out with the steuererklärung.

I dont have all my kids on my tax card but still get the money back at the end of the year.

this is what they told me a couple of years ago at the finanzamt.

Kindergeld is what every kid gets.

Elterngeld is what the government pays you to stay home with the kiddo for the first two years. The Bavarian state can also pay a third year to EU citizens.

The first six months are, if I remember correctly, at a set level. After that it is based on income.

There are moves underway to make the amount conditional on the father taking time off work as well.

I was just reading the other post about kindergeld and such and got looking into elterngeld. Does anyone know what kinds of restrictions, if any, there are on receiving this? For example, I think i read in the law (although i am not positive because my german is not perfect) that foreigners must be in germany for at least three years prior to being eligible. And what about if you are self employed? Any problems there?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Allison

Topics merged by admin

What do you want to know? Basically if you have been working full time and are an EU citizen you are entitled to not less than 300 and no more than 1,800 Euros. It's 67% of your avergage income over the last year divided by 12. This is paid for 14 months although one parent can only claim for 12, there are exceptions though (as always).

I would like to know about the "working full time" and "EU citizen" part. We are both self employed. Does that fit the "working full time" criteria or do you have to be an employee? Also, I am married to an Italian but am Canadian and we live here in Berlin. We have both been residents here since July 2005. Do we meet the "EU citizen" requirements?

I'm interested too in whether I would qualify as I've not worked here but my husband has - we're both british.

Thanks in advance for any info.

So since I am a US citizen I would not be eligible for Elterngeld (even though I'm married to an EU citizen)?

As I understand it for myself, I'll get the basic 300€/month as I have not worked here but I also get an extra 75€ for having 2 other children under he age of 6.

I guess it'll all become clear once we've applied and see how much money (if any) gets paid.

Elterngeld has nothing to do with having worked here (which is one of the major criticisms of the system) but more to do with being permitted to live and work here. It's paid to any legal resident, irrespective of nationality who would otherwise be available for work, were they not looking after the newly born child. 67% of income (for self employed people 67% of profit after deductions and tax) from the last 12 working months, paid over 12-14 months, minimum €300 per month. So for people new to Germany, who have not worked, or were unemployed the €300/month applies, assuming the child is born in Germany after January 1st, 2007. When in receipt of Elterngeld you are not allowed to work for more than 30 hours per month, or the payments will be reduced or cancelled Elterngeld is paid in addition to Kindergeld (€154/month per child for the first 3 children, €179/month for the 4th child onwards).

Elterngeld has nothing to do with having worked here (which is one of the major criticisms of the system)

i was just about to comment on that. why should anyone who has never paid into the system get extra money. it won't get them more likely to go back to work. isn't the point to encourage people to have children, hence giving them incentive to stay at home?

Thanks so much for the info. I appreciate it alot.

One question though: what about the three year residency prior to eligibility? I would imagine there would have to be some kind of minimum stay before qualifying, otherwise loads of people could move here just to have their kids (assuming they are mobile enough to do so...and I do know lots of couples who are)

take care,

allison