Perpetual complaints about Germany

58 posts in this topic

The first year I was here the fates and festivals were interesting but when it all comes round again it is just so boring so i dont go any more.

Read the Oktoberfest threads. Then see - it's some of the same people and some newbies posting every time. Let the newbies have their fun. Believe me, I have lived out in the sticks for quite a while, joining into their seemingly tame festivities changes your life once you are allowed behind the scenes!

joining into their seemingly tame festivities changes your life once you are allowed behind the scenes!

Are we talking about wife swapping here?

You have to take part you just cant do your own thing.

why not? I've lived in Munich through two Oktoberfests and one Faching and haven't been to any of them. Partly because i travel a lot but also because the delightful thing about Germany is that there are so many options of things to do and you don't HAVE to join in chucking beer down your throat if you find it boring and really don't want to.

I am not trying to be unpleasant about it but its the way I feel. You are just one of the crowd I miss the individuality.

In the UK now, individuality in places like Norfolk, seems to be hard to come by with the vast majority of provincials chucking 15 or more pints down their throats for a fight and a shag every Friday and Satrday night. Call me old fashioned, but that is one piece of 'individuality' I am pretty glad the Germans don't follow.

I work here to do my job but i am back in the Uk regulary and I see the difference . Britain is alive Germany is dead. Does no one think this way ? Am I on my own.

I work here too and travel widely in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France and the UK on a very regular basis. Lots of nice places that I could see myself living but for the timebeing Munich comes up trumps, even though I sometimes miss the buzz of London a little.

We return to the UK on average twice a year. All our family are there, equally divided between England, Wales and Scotland. I also spent my first 21 years in London, so I am well aware of what life is like there. I think those that hate Germany, would probably be unhappy wherever they live. There is nothing wrong about being homesick, just dont slame a country because you are unhappy.

We have moved 9 times in the past 39 years, mainly within Germany, but also in Holland. Johnny Norfolk, you dont have to like carnivals. What happens in your home town in the UK that makes it so exciting? What do you do Monday-Sunday when living in the UK? We lived in Munich for a few years and now live in a village S/W of it, have been here for nearly 20 years, the longest in one house ever. Our road is mainly Bavarians and we find their way of life very pleasant indeed. We are friendly with all our neighbours and speak to them in their language.

Anyway, I think it is a change of attitude that would make you enjoy your stay more.

I know I will get flamed for this one but here goes...Im with John Norfolk on this one.

I spent the last 10 years of my life in Germany and before that I was stationed here with the British Army.I only stayed because of my German Girlfriend at the time.

I left Germany 6 months ago and have not looked back and I dont miss it one bit.

I was in London last week and it was ALIVE,Frankfurt apart from when the "fests' were on was dead by comparison.

I got tired of my collegues at work, they were either krank,im urlaub,kur,feiertag,bruckungstag,fruh-rente or whatever...it just got old.

Germany has the oldest students the youngest pensioners and it showed in my tax bill.

Shopping in the UK, especially supermarkets IS 100 times better...fact.Tescos,Sainsburys and M+S...dont even try to compare them with Tenglemann,Rewe,aldi etc.

Country pubs are in a different league from the "beer stube" which looks like someones house with tiled floors. They are full of old men at the "stammtisch"...absolute crap.

The staus...oh my god the staus!!! Dont even get me started.Yes they have them in England but Germany has serious problems there.I used to hate Urlaubs seit when every man and is dog put the "topbox" on the passat estate and head south...aaaggggggh.

Customer service in Germany is diabolical,most of you have to agree with that one?

Yes England has its problems,I agree,but it has something Germany has never had and never will have and thats CHARACTER.

The payment system for gas and electric was so pathetic and out of date it beggard belief.Why is it so hard to pay monthly for what you have used instead of a bill based on the previous tennants yearly usage???

I could go on,but I am glad Germany suits most of you...each to their own.Accept that for some people who have tried Germany and tried to learn its quirky ways at least gave it a go.They deserve a rant as much as you do to have a bitch about the UK.

Stu

English bav

Why do I need to change my attitude. Are you the thought police ?

I will feel about things as I want to. I think you should open your mind and look around you.

You have to accept, as I do that some people see things differently to you.

now he claims that there's individuality in engerland or norfulk or wherever he's on about.

yeeeees, germany is dead and britain is alive and kicking itself in the teeth.

I think that you are being highly unfair. If you had sampled a night out at the Ocean Rooms in Gorleston on sea, had had the pleasure of watching the exciting crown greens bowls at the end of Marine Parade or even ventured into the battlefield (known as Great Yarmouth) then you would see he is correct!

If you fail to be impressed by the above, Cromer is the centre of the world (according to people I know in Cromer.) It has a few pubs, kebab/burger vans and the locals will welcome you with open arms (but watch out for the broken bottle they may be carrying).

Come on, Norfolk, the seaside...It has more "crazy" golf courses than here, It has more holiday camps than here, loads of amusement arcades and above all, the highest number of pensioners per square mile than anywhere else in the UK. Now, I am off to join them at Bingo and then off to the church "beetle drive" (I will ask Mr Norfolk to accompany me as he will know the best bingo halls!) :)

@Black S2

You probably agree with Johnny Norfolk about life in Germany. But do you agree with his "tried it once and it was shit!" attitude? I think not.

"I read his post and decided he is a prat" would be on the same lines. Lets not go there.

Yes Johnny Norfolk has a right to express his feelings on his experiences. But he should not be surprised when other people comment on his attitude with that same right.

Anyway, like the UK, Germany has both good and bad things. It is down to the individual to make the best of their situation wherever they may be.

Anyone want to write a pros and cons list?

OK Johnny, of course you are allowed your own opinions, I would just like to know WHAT it is that you miss so much? Also, are you forced to work here? We came by choice and stayed by choice. Things really were primitive in the 60's but it was also quaint. If it is a swinging town you want, then yes, nothing compares to London, but I no longer feel safe in large towns late at night be it in London, Manchester or Berlin. Little old Munich is attractive, cosy and alive. Plenty of cultural things going on there and night clubs etc if you are into that sort of thing.

If you would like me to find fault with Germans, then maybe their sense of humour isnt as good as the Brits, they dont like to make fun of themselves. But that is no reason to dislike them. They dont swear like the Brits (f...ing.and b...ing.), they are well behaved, there is not as much crime, they tend to be tidy .

If you enjoy outdoor activities then Bavaria is great, we adore walking, others skiing. I think beer-gardens are great even if you dont like boozing, I just like the atmosphere. Local festivities might seem old fashioned, national costumes as well, but we find it quaint.

Germans are good at organising, just look at the World Cup, it went smoothly and was a happy, festive occasion. The streets were alive with all nationalities partying .

British pubs can be cosy, particularly the country ones, but they can be miserable as well. Food is one subject that annoys me in the UK. As a tourist one can starve to death unless one likes Indian or chinese food (both of which we adore). O.K. the cod and chips can be great and some pubs make an effort at lunchtime. In the evenings we have often searched in vain when touring remoter parts of the country. As for motorway services, an absolute nightmare.

One of you mentioned traffic jams here, have you been round the M25 recently? Nowhere is the traffic worse than in the UK.

But dont worry, there are things we find fault with here, the TV for a start. We tend to watch British t.v., once again for the humour.

Anyway, thats enough for now.

Forgot to add that the thing that gets me the most here is the supermarket service. Rush rush, one has to get through the cash point fast. Also they dont load the shelves at night so I avoid shoppng early in the mornings as one can hardly move for boxes being unloaded. Hope that makes you feel happier Johnny and BlackS2.

I have never said I don't like Germans. I like some and dislike others and the vast majority I have no opinion about.

I work and live in Germany. I also work in France and the UK. I am based in Germany and was due to return to my home in England in the New Year. They have offered me a further 2 year contract and I may take it, but I was going to retire. You see when you get to my age i say it as it is. I have spoken to the Germans I work with dead strait, at first they rejected all I said, and wanted to carry on as they have done before but I did it their way and shouted them down, as you just cannot reason with them. ( the shouting that takes place at their meeting is unbeleivable). However they have accepted I was right and want to take my medicine for another 2 years. So I have had some difficult times in Germany. There are a few things i like about Germany but certainly not the life style and bullying management style.

So you see I will please myself what I think and in most cases say. thats the Lancashire way.

Wiil admit one thing Johnny you are right.They like to shout and verbally bully people over here.As an Accrington lad they have the wrong one here.They have learnt not to mess about with me as in the end they are gone.

primitive in the 60's but it was also quaint. If it is a swinging town you want, then yes, nothing compares to London,

I've found London quite the opposite really - It's the kind of city which is such a big name and gets so much fanfare that it can get away with practically anything. It's not only insanely overpriced, but surprisingly tame, with the majority of places closing so early it's laughable- even Dallas stays open later, and that's really sad. I dread to think what people from Barcelona think of London "nightlife". And then if you do try to stay out past midnight, you have the Third World train system to contend with, which also closes too early and strands you (and costs more than anywhere else on earth). London has some good museums and cultural attractions, as every big city does, but it's the last place I'd go for nightlife etc. Premium prices, poor quality.

Why do I need to change my attitude. Are you the thought police ? I will feel about things as I want to. I think you should open your mind and look around you.

Sounds like people having a different point of view to you is a problem for you? That's a bit sad really. Even sadder is the fact that you imply that everyone in the UK has the same as you. I think the thought police would really be wasting their time with you since it [thought] seems rather foreign to you. I think you should open your mind, but you won't. You only see those things that confirm your viewpoint. Go back to the UK and register with the BNP. That's where you belong. And there you can show the rest of us how the Brits are superfriendly to foreigners!