Tips on finding a place to live in Dresden

17 posts in this topic

Hi,

My husband has been offer to work in Dresden but we have no idea where to start to search for house or apartment. Can anyone give us some tips. Also, our kids will be going to the Dresden International school and I have no idea where its near. Any tips will be greatly appreciated. :D

Dresden International school and I have no idea where its near

1. Google "Dresden International School"

2. Click on first result to reach the school website, complete with information about the school and its address

3. Look up address on Google map, mappy.com or another map

Hi Breece,

the Dresden International School is in the city, just a couple of kilometers east of the Altstadt. If you want to live nearby then I'd suggest the Johannstadt or Striesen districts.

For finding accommodation, I'd recommend an online search via either Immoscout24 (nationwide) or WOBA Dresden (Dresden specific).

Alternatively try two of local newspapers:

- http://anzeigen.dnn-online.de/immobilien.html

- http://www.sz-online.de/oas/immobilien/suchform.asp

Hope that helps.

Hello Breece,

I heard during the last academic year that there is a possible shift of location of the International school. Do check on it before you firm up your housing plans.

It would be convenient to stay in Neustadt (the cleaner, quieter parts around Hauptstr, Koenigstr area are the most sought-after and also advisable when you have kids) The only downside for you would be the trams to the International school. Only the older trams service that line and are not pram-friendly.

Living near the Groesse garten would be a nice idea as well.

Happy hunting!

Hi Elbe & Sudhi,

Thanks for all the information. Do you know if there is like English playgroup or English speaking mom group in Dresden??

I am just wondering if we should give up everything here to live in Dresden when we do not speak German. I heard they don't speak the high German in Dresden but the local German slang. Is Dresden generally safe & easy to live?

I read its beautiful & historical just want to know in general if its worth moving there.

Trailing Spouse & lost mom.

Sure, there is one such group.

http://www.ilg-dresden.de/

They meet quite often.

The folks here speak the Sachsich accent. It's no big deal though. If your husband is getting into any of the two big semiconductor companies, then there's little cause for worry since the companies also pay for the language courses of the spouse.

Dresden is a safe place. Some parts of Neustadt (around Alaunstr area) appear shady due to the numerous drunks, but they usually mind their own business.

It's easy to get around here since the tram/bus system is great. U-bahns are not present since the city size does not call for it.

Oh well..you will figure it out on your own soon.

Good Luck!

I'm currently in a temporary apartment, and I'm looking to find an apartment with a built-in kitchen (Einbauküche) in the Neustadt area. Besides immobilienscout24, are there any other ways to look for apartments? When I search for apartments with built-in kitchens, I don't get a very large list of options (compared with apartments without kitchens). I really don't want to spend thousands of Euros on a kitchen (and I'm also pretty lazy).

I'm also open to buying a used kitchen. Is there a craigslist type site for Dresden?

Thanks in advance.

Topics merged by admin

I know of one and possibly two that will be available in June..a one bedroom with ebk

The apt is on Bautzner Strasse- top floor and pretty cheap..I think it's 400 euro (warm)

Hello everyone! I moved to Dresden a week back and I have been looking for apartments to stay for the next 3-4 years. Since I am interested in staying in a shared apartment, it has been a little difficult as my German is not so good. I wanted to know if there are any websites for foreign students to find an accommodation?I have been searching on wg-gesucht.de but with no positive results. :( .

I am interested to find an apartment (preferably with kitchen and bath) in the Neustadt area.Please help!!

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, but the website you have suggested is the only one I know for finding a WG. Maybe at TUD they have some sort of message board that they post this stuff on?

Good luck finding something...

Hello! My husband and I are moving to Dresden at the end of October. I am looking for an apartment in North Johannstadt or Blasewitz as we will be working in the uni. Apart from the sites you have already mentioned, are there other sites or newspapers? As there are no new ads for a long time...Do you think it is better to come there and look for it?

Hi and welcome to TT.

If you haven't yet, please read this TT Wiki page on renting accommodation in Germany, as there are some major differences to what you may be used to from back home. The Wiki page will also give you tips on where to look, and help with vocabulary used in adverts. Please note that most landlords will expect you to stay for at least one year, and they will want to meet you personally before deciding whether to rent to you or not.

Do be aware that there are scammers operating on accommodation sites, who will offer you an amazing apartment at an unbelievably cheap price - if it's too good to be true, then it usually is just that. See the threads Beware of accommodation scams and Apartment rental scam suspected for some hallmarks of scam accommodation adverts.

You may need to settle for temporary accommodation at first, as finding a place can take a while. To find temporary accommodation, google Wohnen auf Zeit (short-term accommodation) or Ferienwohnung (holiday let) - both will offer furnished flats, with a Ferienwohnung you can generally negotiate on the price if you stay longer than a week.

Also, do try the local newspapers as well, once you get here. Accommodation ads are usually in the print editions on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Some of these print ads will be in the online edition as well, but quite a few of the print ads - particularly those from private persons as opposed to agencies - are not online. Get the paper early, and start ringing from 8:00 am onward to arrange a viewing. Mailing people (if you find something online) generally doesn't produce much in terms of results, as it really is a seller's market and thus people often concentrate on the phone calls and responding to mails falls by the wayside.

Good luck!

Maybe you can stay for a bit at the MPI guest house (or maybe TUD has one? or the MTZ? working for the Uni is pretty vague...). You have to pay a small fee per day, but you can stay for a week or 2 while you get an apartment set up. I would definately suggest viewing an apartment before you accept a lease. If it is an emergency, then I think some Gagfah apartments allow monthly leases, so you could agree to a lease for 2 months or so. Good luck!

Site that shows which areas are considered attractive to live in: immobilien-kompass

Gagfah, Dresden's biggest housing association - their flats are generally on the cheaper side, and they are usually quite well organised.

Gagfah

Private ads:

Immobilienscout

Cybersax (usually more the studenty end of the range)

sz-immo

Or just Google Wohnung Dresden.

I'd also recommend having a look first to avoid scams or finding you have a nasty mouldy place.

If you are working at the Uni then you can pretty much look anywhere, even out in Pieschen, it only takes 30mins with Public Transport to the Uni or 25mins cycling.

Blasewitz is a nice area, but it can be quite pricey, I wouldn't limit my search to just there.

I found my current place through http://www.wg-gesucht.de/ it can be quite good for finding places that don't go through a Makler (agent), so you save on fees. Even though it says it is for Wohngemeinschaft (shared flats) a lot of people have their whole flat up for rent. You can also find flats where people are only going away travelling for 6 months or so. This can also be useful when coming from abroad as everything is already in and it gives you time to get to know the area and find somewhere to settle.

We were happy finding a flat that way. We got to discuss with the previous tenents what we wanted to keep and what they could throw out, worked out well for both parties.

Hello guys,

I am terribly sorry for the delay, we got married last week so we were running all day! I am so grateful for your advice, now that the wedding is over I have more time to find our place to stay!!!

Thank you thank you thank you!