Buying property in Germany

288 posts in this topic

Pure coincidental timing.  My real estate broker in USA responding to my "How's business?"

"Dead!!  3 listings with no activity.  I have buyers that have decided to hold off right now.  Not a good time to buy or sell right now. "

I've read that potential sellers don't want all and sundry coming into their homes right now and potential buyers also don't want to go into other people's homes.

I don’t suppose potential renters and Immobilienmakler are going to Besichtigungen either? Are they outlawed at the moment?

16 hours ago, catjones said:

Pure coincidental timing.  My real estate broker in USA responding to my "How's business?"

"Dead!!  3 listings with no activity.  I have buyers that have decided to hold off right now.  Not a good time to buy or sell right now. "

I think it actually is a very good time to buy now (if you have the money), as prices will be dropping.

55 minutes ago, Metall said:

I think it actually is a very good time to buy now (if you have the money), as prices will be dropping.

I would say in 3 to 9 months would be better. Missing rents, mortgage payments, lack of buyers will snowball. The market hasn't starting falling yet, there are simply no buyers to even define a price.

5 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

I would say in 3 to 9 months would be better. Missing rents, mortgage payments, lack of buyers will snowball. The market hasn't starting falling yet, there are simply no buyers to even define a price.

I agree. The economy will falter.

I would probably agree as well, until we get a vaccine, the shutdown measures are going to come and go and come back again, thus causing massive damage to the economy, and the markets and other business including owning property will suffer as well. Its quite simple really, rents are a function of peoples ability to pay and willing to pay, if the landlord cannot find a person that is able to do this, then the property sits empty, until the landlord reduces the rent to get a tenant

But governments and scientist,  can limit the damage, with

A cheap test of the Virus

A cheap test that tells you if you ever had the virus before. 

Obviously the true impact of this is yet to be seen, but I think/fear another big market down turn is coming, there many people that have made a lot of money out of this, and I expect the smart or lucky ones will be making a lot more money out of this.

7 hours ago, Metall said:

Isn't that a contradiction?  Buy now, but prices dropping?

58 minutes ago, yesterday said:

but I think/fear another big market down turn is coming, there many people that have made a lot of money out of this,

Reasons?  Examples?

10 hours ago, catjones said:

Reasons?  Examples?

reason

Because there is no vaccine, probably not for a year and a half - we will continue in lockdown and free up and lockdown until we get heard immunity or we get a vaccine.

Or we do as @MegaMike has suggested and release a un-tested vaccine to the public and take the consequences of that.

This is costing a lot of money, people being paid to stay home + loss of  production + lot of health costs  - how long do you think it can carry on ? The Government is not going to be getting much from TAXes at the moment.

At some point the government will just run out of money, it will have to limit who gets the money, renters maybe not be able to pay the rent - what will happen then

A  lot of smaller business will go bust without government support.

I want to say I AM NOT AN EXPERT like a lot of people on the site. it could turn out differently to be honest this is a very un-normal time - can there be EXPERT in this ?

Its just my personal view and could be wrong. ofcourse I do not know how long the governments can continue with the approach we have, weaker counties will fail first.

Examples?

How can I possibly be expected to provide EXAMPLES, on something that has has happened before, but was handled in different ways ie spanish fly there was not mass government bail out package -although they did do lock downs.

6 hours ago, yesterday said:

At some point the government will just run out of money

Then, they print more.

Examples?

How can I possibly be expected to provide EXAMPLES

Hey, you're the one who said " many people that have made a lot of money out of this, ".  

How can I possibly be expected to provide EXAMPLES, on something that has has happened before, but was handled in different ways ie spanish fly there was not mass government bail out package -although they did do lock downs.

I didn't know a poisonous bug that causes erections warrants lockdowns.

But then maybe it does. ;)

https://science.howstuffworks.com/aphrodisiac4.htm

1 hour ago, catjones said:

Then, they print more.

Hey, you're the one who said " many people that have made a lot of money out of this, ".  

there is a limit to how much printing can be done before the currancey becomes worthless

ok 

examples of people who made money on the fall of the stock market over corona virus, sorry I thought you were asking about examples of other pandemics

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/us/politics/richard-burr-stocks-sold-coronavirus.html

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/21/coronavirus-trading-house-senate-140260

I just did a google search, there are many other examples, the example I wanted I could not find anymore, it was on a TV program 

Some investers on this site seem to only buy on the expectation of a stock going up, however the other way to do it is to look for stock which will fall, get out of those shares, watch them fall and buy back in later if you want for example TESLA.

I technically did this on my easyjet shares which I bought Apr 2019 for around 10  to 12 euro, then sold out at around 17 euro in late jan 2020. But I did because I did not see any further growth and wanted to close my position - the smart invester would of closed their positions because of the expected stock market crash

if I had been clever enough to see this, there are range of other stock and ETF products that I should have got out off 

15 minutes ago, yesterday said:

watch them fall and buy back in later if you want for example TESLA.

This is just selling high/ buying low.  Nothing new there.

18 minutes ago, yesterday said:

the other way to do it is to look for stock which will fall

The term you're looking for is "selling short".  This would have been a perfect time for this, but as always, who knew?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/us/politics/richard-burr-stocks-sold-coronavirus.html

Your example is one of "insider trading".    It wasn't long thereafter that everyone else did the same, hence the drop.

26 minutes ago, catjones said:

This is just selling high/ buying low.  Nothing new there.

The term you're looking for is "selling short".  This would have been a perfect time for this, but as always, who knew?

Short selling is shares you do not own, on the expection of a fall, you then buy them back before the setetlment date

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/shortselling.asp

I was talking about selling shares share you already own, thats why I did not call it short-selling

I have never played in short selling game, the risk is just to high for me

26 minutes ago, catjones said:

Your example is one of "insider trading".    It wasn't long thereafter that everyone else did the same, hence the drop.

"insider trading" is being in a position to act on information, that other stock market people to not known about, thus giving you the chance to sell or buy early and make money on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insider_trading

the nytimes page, it did not say that happened, they used publicaly know information could see the crash coming and sold there already owned shares - the fact I did not see or understand it was my fault not "insider trading"

2 hours ago, yesterday said:

they used publicaly know information could see the crash coming and sold there already owned shares

Nope. They used insider information that was not publicly known, if you're talking about Burr and the others.

Sometimes it is very difficult to understand what you write. Are you proofreading at all? Do you have spell check?

So looking around on the internet I can see your point - but I am not convinced 

Reading up on him, he is the Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman, which I do not really know if its directly connected to the virus in anyway and I am not really sure what data he could have seen, that others in a similar position did not see - a lot of data was already in the public domain - graphs every where, showing death rates - infections etc. A lot of people on TT have speculated what the data means.as well including me, maybe he is good at analyzing data and came to the view that a crash is coming.

I do not see any sites saying this is the extra information he got and that's why he sold, do you know any ?, all the sites I read, says he sold he sold and made a lot of money, meaning he is bad. PS I do not know anything about him, I only looked him up for this TT discussion, is he generally considered to be a 'dirty' guy or not ?

I guess the senate / congress is a bit like TT, in that rummers spread quickly, why is it that only a handful  of them decided to sell, why didn't they all do it - if it was so clear the crash was coming.from the private data they were getting.

We should remember Trump was saying at the time, everything will be ok, did he ask his daughter to sell shares in the trump hotel chain, which I guess will be hit hard in this crisis, if burr had extra info on this - why didn't the president ?

Without any information on whether this guy is a sum bag or not, and without any evidence that he was supplied extra information that made him sell his shares. then I find it hard to condemn him, for reading the data, that other people had access to ( deaths/infections ) seeing there is a crash coming and selling his shares making a lot of money - but not have done anything wrong.

From what I read, I got the impression, he is a bad man because he made a very good stock market decision, that other people did not see, and lost a lot of money over - so the green eyed people are also out in force. Of course, if you got any information on what data he got - I can change my mind. 

I thought insider trading had a much tighter definition to prosecute a person and I do not think burr will ever be prosecuted on the information I have read.  Sure he could be guilty but I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt, without any hard evidence.

yeah you are right my english is not the best even thou I come from England :), sorry if it annoys you or anybody else, I generally try to be friendly on here, but also argue and say what I think. Maybe it sounds insulting at some times, but its not meant to be - sure I will make mistake as well. I also post from my work laptop during the day, which for some reason does not spell check, using Google chrome, I thought it was default. yeah also I am working and only post between work breaks which can just come up and therefore I do not tidy up as much as I should

7 hours ago, catjones said:

From Buying Property to Insider Trading.

yeah, it has kinda gone away from the subject title, but that seems normal on TT :)

BinB, yeap things are probably going to get worse