Buying property in Germany

333 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

Also, I've heard that sometimes the new builds without a makler fee are actually more expensive per square metre than if you bought one with a makler. Don't know if that's true or not.

A family member has been looking to buy for well over a year, looking at both new builds and pre-owned, and has found this to be consistently the case.

2 hours ago, Jonny said:

If you think it was worth it then ...

But if you as a buyer concluded it was NOT worthed, you end up facing the choice take it or leave it. 

With the market so hot, driven by scarcity of supply ...

Our Makler also was very good. Had he been very bad, we would still have bought, at the same price, just with so few houses to choose from its hard to be picky on the Makler...

The only financial advantage in the Makler being good to the buyer is looking far into the future. If/when we sell, in 30yr time, I will remember he was a good Makler. 

3 hours ago, Jonny said:

If you think it was worth it then ...

It reminds me of motorists buying fuel (ok, or electric these days).

How many think it's NOT worthed and take actions accordingly. Yes, some, but most simply would tell you they have no choice...

This is a bit of a departure from the last few threads. We've been looking for a house to buy in Hamburg (corona-made-us-realized-we-need-to-move-closer-to-the-mil) and we've been actively searching for the past 8 months or so.

So far, we were close to making an offer on 1 (had the Gutachter appt confirmed and everything) but the makler called us the night before and said someone else beat us to the front of the line...another house we actually made an offer on was offered to a friend of the neighbour's - a friend who suddenly showed up on the list of interested parties :blink:. We suspect the first house was also sold to someone who knew someone who knew someone's someone's someone. 

So, it has been a no-go on 2 out of scores of houses we've viewed  - during corona times. The stress :(

We are determined not to feel discouraged but we can't help feeling we've not tapped into all possible avenues. Our biggest setback I think, is the fact that we dont know many people in Hamburg (we're primarily moving up there to be closer to my mother-in-law who  lives an hour north of HH) who know people who are friends with people who are selling houses in the areas we're looking at. 

My question is, is there some kind of resource or secret house search network we could tap into? :ph34r: We've canvassed all standard immobilien websites and are already subscribed to some makler-lists. We are seriously nice people who could use a break in our house search! Perhaps someone has some kind of insider search tips for us? Any help would be much appreciated! ^_^

23 minutes ago, mendaki said:

is there some kind of resource or secret house search network we could tap into? 

No, sorry.

On 30/03/2020, 12:42:53, MadAxeMurderer said:

Conventional wisdom is that the Germany property market is overheated.

With Corona some people will be unable to pay rent. Some landlords will be unable to make mortgage payments. There will be short term protection, but we are going to emerge this less wealthy. Once there are more people selling than buying the bubble bursts.

So I would expect German property prices, especially in Munich to be lower by the end of this year. It could be as little as 20% or as much as 50%

Always interesting to look back at predictions and compare to what actually happened. Turns out prices have increased by 11% in Bavaria (https://www.sueddeutsche.de/bayern/immobilien-muenchen-lbs-und-sparkassen-immobilienpreise-steigen-weiter-dpa.urn-newsml-dpa-com-20090101-210412-99-173039)

Is there still a moratorium on rents and mortages? If so then I would wait until the moratorium ends before buying a house ... then the prediction will come true.

13 minutes ago, wien4ever said:

Is there still a moratorium on rents and mortages? If so then I would wait until the moratorium ends before buying a house ... then the prediction will come true.

Dude, that’s over since one year ago.

20 hours ago, FrenchguyinMunich said:

Always interesting to look back at predictions and compare to what actually happened. Turns out prices have increased by 11% in Bavaria (https://www.sueddeutsche.de/bayern/immobilien-muenchen-lbs-und-sparkassen-immobilienpreise-steigen-weiter-dpa.urn-newsml-dpa-com-20090101-210412-99-173039)

The crash will for sure come anytime now, it can’t be that the “I’m better that Buffet” people were wrong. 

1 hour ago, mtbiking said:

Dude, that’s over since one year ago.

whoa.. then things are getting interesting... so many people wanting to buy right now.

I'm lucky I was able to buy something in late 2018. Best time to buy was probably before 2012 before price hiked continuously.

Morning all! Does anyone happen to have a contact for a good Gutachter in Hamburg (Mitte/Nord/doesnt really matter so long in HH)?

I've combed through the threads on TT and normally there are tons of referrals for all sorts of services but haven't seen one for a Gutachter/ Surveyor. 

Would be ultimately grateful! Danke danke!!!

Hi, could someone recommend an English speaking notary and a surveyor in Munich? I went through a lot of topics, but couldn't find anything specific. I noted that Friedrich Götsche is recommended, but it'd be a bit easier if there's someone who speaks English as well.

Thanks a lot!

4 hours ago, zmai said:

Hi, could someone recommend an English speaking notary and a surveyor in Munich? I went through a lot of topics, but couldn't find anything specific. I noted that Friedrich Götsche is recommended, but it'd be a bit easier if there's someone who speaks English as well.

Thanks a lot!

https://www.notare.bayern.de/notarsuche.html?id=5&name=&location=M%C3%BCnchen&languages=Englisch&foreign=&access=