Buying property in Germany

289 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, yesterday said:

So you think the FED is buying Tesla stocks and that's why they are going up - what is your source ?

PS I know TESLA is making ventilators right now, but I would still like to see where/ How the FED is buying stocks in Tesla

This is the guy who asked how money works. He clearly gets it.

7 minutes ago, yesterday said:

So you think the FED is buying Tesla stocks and that's why they are going up - what is your source ?

PS I know TESLA is making ventilators right now, but I would still like to see where/ How the FED is buying stocks in Tesla

US unemployment at record high, economies contracting at record pace, oil can`t be given away for free,

yet the stock market has gained 20%.

Why?

Just now, RenegadeFurther said:

US unemployment at record high, economies contracting at record pace, oil can`t be given away for free,

Why?

so your opinion then, no link to a reputable source as I thought

Just now, mtbiking said:

Please, please give examples of €1,000,000 with a €750 rent. I'm genuinely interested as all €1,000,000 houses I've ever encountered have rents of at least €2000/month. 

My options to maintain my quality of life is either to continue renting or to buy a house.  Buying a house in my area in an equivalent location would cost me over a million.  That does not mean that I can rent a 1,000,000€ home for 750€ it just means those are my options. 

7 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

This is the guy who asked how money works. He clearly gets it.

Will not engage you just in case you go crying to the mods.

Have you had any luck in getting people banned from TT by the way? 

2 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Your links do not include anything about Tesla, that was my original question

We can all speculate where the money will go to, but be fair - both your links do not mention Tesla, and therefore its speculation on your behalf 

Tesla's stock went  down by a 2/3, and then doubled, I think that was due to investors not the FED we shall agree to differ, this thread is about property not stocks

8 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Your links do not include anything about Tesla, that was my original question

We can all speculate where the money will go to, but be fair - both your links do not mention Tesla, and therefore its speculation on your behalf 

Tesla's stock went  down by a 2/3, and then doubled, I think that was due to investors not the FED we shall agree to differ, this thread is about property not stocks

Did I mention that the Fed was buying particularly Tesla stock?

My point was that the Fed is propping up the stock market.

1 hour ago, BradinBayern said:

My options to maintain my quality of life is either to continue renting or to buy a house.  Buying a house in my area in an equivalent location would cost me over a million.  That does not mean that I can rent a 1,000,000€ home for 750€ it just means those are my options. 

that doesn’t make any sense. If you’re living in an apartment or small rowhouse you’re not having the same life quality as you’d have living in a €1000,000 house in the same street, as your home is obviously a factor in your life quality. You continue to wildly exaggerate the rental to purchase price ratio in order to make a point. Take MikeMelga, he’s renting by choice and makes basically the same arguments as you, but he doesn’t try to hide that his rent is high.

3 minutes ago, mtbiking said:

that doesn’t make any sense. If you’re living in an apartment or small rowhouse you’re not having the same life quality as you’d have living in a €1000,000 house in the same street, as your home is obviously a factor in your life quality. You continue to wildly exaggerate the rental to purchase price ratio in order to make a point. Take MikeMelga, he’s renting by choice and makes basically the same arguments as you, but he doesn’t try to hide that his rent is high.

Your assumption is fallacious on its face as it assumes that every person values the same thing in a house. For example, I value being able to clean every room of my home every week. I do not like having household help. Therefore, a house over 200 sm (in my area) would be irritating to me as I could not live the way I want and it would thereby decrease my quality of life. 

You have to start from the knowledge that people value different things in a piece of real estate. Then, you have a basis for a QOL conversation. 

We rent. All that money we saved and invested for 40 yrs. will pay our rent and support us for the rest of our retirement. Why people be hating on renters?

Just now, fraufruit said:

We rent. All that money we saved and invested for 40 yrs. will pay our rent and support us for the rest of our retirement. Why people be hating on renters?

The better question is why do people assume the ROI on buying is sufficient to cover the costs and anxiety of ownership.  Peace of mind is a nearly inestimable value to me. I sweat out my home in the US returning to its pre-2008 value and just barely made a profit when I finally sold in 2017. That profit did not reimburse years of anxiety.

20 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Your assumption is fallacious on its face as it assumes that every person values the same thing in a house. For example, I value being able to clean every room of my home every week. I do not like having household help. Therefore, a house over 200 sm (in my area) would be irritating to me as I could not live the way I want and it would thereby decrease my quality of life. 

You have to start from the knowledge that people value different things in a piece of real estate. Then, you have a basis for a QOL conversation. 

That’s irrelevant to his point and this discussion, since his €750/month place can be bought for much less than a million euro. Such a place is valued at roughly around €370,000, which at nowadays interest rate is not beyond reach for loads of people. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy a house.

2 minutes ago, mtbiking said:

That’s irrelevant to his point and this discussion, since his €750/month place can be bought for much less than a million euro. Such a place is valued at roughly around €370,000, which at nowadays interest rate is not beyond reach for loads of people. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy a house.

No, it is at least in part the point. But you go on. Apparently, you have an axe to grind and I will not attempt to sway you. Please, tell us more about how owning a €1 million place makes your quality of life better than a €370k place.

5 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Stocks are going up because the Fed is buying absolutely everything.

Can you list a few of the Fed's assets on their balance sheet?

2 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Why?

Once again, generally speaking, the market reacts to events that may affect value.  While the events you list are true, there have been other events that also cause market value, such as the diminishing effect of covid-19 in China which allows for the return of factory workers.  Likewise, the 20% you mention might be off an all-time low brought on by uncertainty and the gain is simply a return to today's "normal".  Millions of transactions take place everyday for as many reasons.  To ascribe an overall change by just a few factors is to simplify very complex behaviors.

2 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

oil can`t be given away for free,

One man's pain is another's man's pleasure...

The oil industry’s glut has a bright spot: tanker storage.

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic01.nyt.com%

A tanker enters the Port of Corpus Christi in Texas. Credit...Tamir Kalifa for The New York Times

The price of oil has plunged, but the price of finding a place to put it has soared. And if you are in the business of providing a temporary home for the world’s glut of crude, you’ve hit the jackpot, writes Stanley Reed of The Times.

More and more massive tankers at sea are being used simply to hold the oil — as much as 2 million barrels per vessel — until it is wanted. Other vessels are busy carrying it to buyers like China, which is taking advantage of prices not seen in two decades.

Tankers are in demand, and their rates, as low as $25,000 a day in February, have ballooned to nearly $200,000 a day, even hitting almost $300,000 at one point.

“We are one of the few industries making money in this period,” said Hugo de Stoop, chief executive of Belgium-based Euronav, one of the world’s largest tanker companies. The current market for vessels, he added, “is totally and completely unusual.”

In the North Sea several dozen of oil vessels are waiting to enter the harbour of Rotterdam, the biggest oil harbour in Europe. 

I can store 20 barrels in my basement. Please spread the word.

1 hour ago, AlexTr said:

The better question is why do people assume the ROI on buying is sufficient to cover the costs and anxiety of ownership.  Peace of mind is a nearly inestimable value to me. I sweat out my home in the US returning to its pre-2008 value and just barely made a profit when I finally sold in 2017. That profit did not reimburse years of anxiety.

Both possessing a house/ paying a mortgage off/selling a house or apartment  and renting are stressful depending on a person’s financial circumstances. 
I would say I agree with you that “ peace of mind “ is key. 
Peace of mind might not be available, however , if someone cannot keep up the mortgage payments OR pay the rent .