Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Transrapid rail link to Munich Airport

123 posts in this topic

post-16-1158735546.jpg
Transrapid is a proposed high-speed rail link between Munich central station (Hauptbahnhof) and Munich Airport. This magnetic levitation "flying train" will travel the 37km journey in just 10 minutes reaching a top speed of 500 km/h (310 mph). The first trains were scheduled to run in 2009 with a frequency of every 10 minutes. This will make getting to the airport an absolute dream. It's not certain, however, that the project will actually go ahead. The estimated cost of the Transrapid link is a massive €1.6 billion. Of course many people think the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Transrapid is a German company which was formed out of a collaboration between Siemens and ThyssenKrupp. The German government is now very keen to build a Transrapid link on German soil as a symbol of German's technology prowess. So far only one Transrapid link has been commissioned - and that is in China. The Transrapid Shanghai links the Shanghai city center with the airport. It is a route of 30 km and was opened by German Chancellor Gerhard Schröder, amongst others, at the end of 2002.

There were plans to build a Transrapid in Nordrhein-Westfalen. This was the so called "Metrorapid Project" and would have been an 80 km connection between Dortmund, Essen, and Düsseldorf. The project was abandonded however in 2003 because it was deemed too expensive. So now the German government wants to build a transrapid in Munich instead. This would also fit in with Munich's image of being a high-tech center.

Many Bavarian politicians, and indeed a large section of the public, believe that €1.6 Billion for a Maglev train is pure waste of money. There is the argument that a new and improved express S-Bahn which would run non-stop Hauptbahnhof to the airport would be considerably cheaper and the travel time not much slower (20 minutes).

If it does go ahead then the planning stage should be finished by the end of 2004. The route will then be prepared and by mid-2006 the building will begin. The first train should run by the end of 2009.

Update: As of March 2006 The Transrapid project is still stalled in planning. A start building date still has not been reached, and thus a 2009 operation date is nolonger an option.

More info:

I don't understand why you would need to build a new line anyway. Why don't they use the existing S1 line and have an express train that starts at Ostbahnhof and stops only at Hauptbahnhof, Laim and Neufahrn.

That would be almost as quick, and cost a lot less.

I still say forget the Transrapid and build the much more important S-Bahn Ring Schluss thru Erding, and the new RE lines thru Erding to the airport.

Why don't they use the existing S1 line

that would be the long way round. Even quicker would be the S8 route from Hauptbahnhof via Ostbahnhof to Flughafen using the S8 route. It could also start at Laim but I wouldn't bother stopping anywhere else except Hauptbahnhof and Ostbahnhof.

All they need to do is to add a Frottmaning-Airport SBahn that doesn't stop in between. They should then connect Frottmaning with Unterföhring and Unterschließheim. That would solve a lot of problems with the airport route and the stadium.

I like eurovol's idea...though I'm sure they're not open for reasonable suggestions

an express train that starts at Ostbahnhof and stops only at Hauptbahnhof

see, such a simple express train, although it makes a great deal of economic sense, would not allow Siemens to build a demo (test? guinee pig?) line of their new high-speed system. Without a demo line, Siemens could not work-out the bugs, or have a nice running sales demo. But with a demo line, they might actually sell some trains to other cities and generate (keep?) some jobs here in Bavaria... so building the line is an investment... and all investments have risks...

Just build a Monorail. Springfield AND North Haverbrook were convinced

@Chicago

They have add a demo line up and running in Emsland (Near Bremen) since at least 2000.. The Transrapid

also has another working testbed in Shanghai. That system has been plagued with so many problems that it's

out of service more than it is in. The cost to use it is also much more expensive, thus the locals use other

forms of travel and the company that runs the transrapid is loosing lots of money..

Things the world doesn’t need (unless your Homer Simpson and get to drive it ;-)

Change the Existing schedule off the S1 and S8 to 10 minute "takt"

For the S1 my idea was always alternate the route as follows

-the normal schedule (which @ least for the S1 ridiculous stopping @ every station and the splitting the train)

-and a SBhan going from Hauptbahnhof stopping @ Feldmoching and travels directly to the Airport.

But as already mentioned that wouldn’t mean lot’s of kick backs for lots of Politicians and local companies…

I don't understand why you would need to build a new line anyway.

Simple. There's a VERY big lobby that wants the line built as a "reference project" so they can export the product, and of course, the backhanders and juicy contracts, the same as the 2nd S-Bahn tunnel.

It won't offer the same connections, it won't be that much quicker, the fares will be expensive and it will be dear to build.

But welcome to Stoiber's world. <_<

and a SBhan going from Hauptbahnhof stopping @ Feldmoching

whats so special about Feldmoching? (your stop? ;) ). Anyone know how long it would take for a non-stop train from HBF compared to the current 40mins? Is the track built for higher speed trains?

Now the S8 is double tracked the frequency could be incrased to every 10 minutes.

There's also line from Erding to the Airport in the planning stage.

I'm certainly in favour of extending the U2 to Feldkirchen for that, I hadn#' thought about an U6 extendione, cheers whoever mentioned that.

There was some discussion about this here:

Third runway for Munich Airport, Won't somebody think of the cows?

The Magnetbahn is basically a giant penis extension for Bavarian politicians - as the quote above demonstrates, they actually consider themselves to be in competition with cities like Frankfurt and London.

Although the S8 idea is excellent, it would have to be funded from the public purse. A Magnetbahn, however, would be built privately. The private company that then runs the line will be able to charge what they want - the Heathrow Express is the world's most expensive stretch of railway mile-for-mile. And so the only people using the Magnetbahn would be some rich businessmen, while us mere mortals are left sitting on the uncomfortable S-Bahns for 40 minutes. But remember, at least it won't cost the taxpayer anything!*

*Apart from the millions given to any private company working on a "public" service.

@BR Sussed! yes it's my stop but it also happens to be the connection to the UBahn (U2)

And I think it would be quicker by virtue off not stopiing @ every station.

@byrdbrain

What about those people that live too the north of HBF?

Even some DB trains stop at Feldmoching on their way to Landshut and beyond. The S1 line, however, is full to bursting even with the 20-Minuten takt, because it shares the track with 3 DB trains an hour in each direction, plus goods trains. There won't be any extra trains running on that line without extra tracks.

And I think it would be quicker by virtue off not stopiing @ every station.

I'm sure it would be quicker (esp without that faffing about splitting trains) but I was just wondering how much - 5 mins? 10. Is the track built for higher speed?