New in Hamburg (or new to this forum)

559 posts in this topic

I'm a Spurs fan, born and bred but any sport is fine with me!

Hey, cool, that´s two Spurs fans (at least) in northern Germany... :)

Hi, I've just arrived in Hamburg this week and am looking for English meet up groups as my German is minimal - I'm a 23 year old female. It would be great if people could send me information. I'm also looking to teach English here - does anyone know where the best places to look are?

Natasha

Hi all,

I'm not new to Hamburg but am new to this forum. I really like the idea of getting an English-language book exchange thing going.

I've got a lot of books gathering dust, some of which I couldn't bear to part with but others I'd be willing to swap. It *is* possible to sell them at a couple of used book places here, but I tried that once and for what little money I got for them, I would have gotten far more satisfaction trading them with someone else or simply leaving them behind in a bar where expats hang out.

I have a blog on which I am going to set up a page called "Hamburg English Book Swap"

The link to the page should be at the top of the home page, right under the heading: Letters Home to You

If you have books to swap, I invite you to leave me a comment on the page with contact details. Don't worry, they don't appear automatically on the blog - they get sent to me via email to moderate. When enough people have expressed interest, we can all arrange to meet and swap away!

Sound OK?

The blog address is: http://lettershometoyou.wordpress.com

Hope to hear from you soon,

Ian

Hiiiii... thought this site looked pretty handy for us international lot in the Deutschland with no friends.. haha. Just to say Hey and see firstly if anyone knows of a room going? Staying with a friend just now, but looking for somewhere til mid May. Did anyone manage to get to Cologne for Karnival? oohhh it was soo good!! So, i'm 21, from Glasgow/Edinburgh in Scotland, studying here in Hamburg til May and having as much fun as possible in the short space of time. Also any info on jobs would be much appreciated.. pretty useless when my German language skills go as far as, "das ist gut, ja" - So i figured teaching English somewhere...? :D

And of course if there are any gatherings happening.. count me in! I'll even bring along some authentic Hanseatics ;) xx

post-15539-1171916940.jpg

Hello All,

I am so excited that I stumbled across this site during my ritual Sunday afternoons at the Starbucks near the Rathaus.

I moved to Hamburg about a month ago and am finally starting to get settled in and make my way around the city. I have discovered a few precious gems like the Abaton-Kino, the Grindle Palace Theater, the Starbucks, a newsstand in Dammtor station that sells People Magazine & the DVD selection at Karstadt.

I am here on a 6 month assignment working for Unilever. It sounded like a good idea when my boss offered me the position. If I can handle living in the NYC area then I can live anywhere right!?!? It's been an adventure so far and I am looking forward to the next 5 months (especially looking forward to spring time). I would love to get to know some English speaking people to hang out with in Hamburg.

Marci

hi guys.Delighted when I found this forum,looking forward to speaking with you dudes.Im here in Germany about a month now,originally I came to visit my girlfriend who is studying for the year in Goettingen.

But now I really want to stay and begin some German lessons and maybe a job.I love it here,im origionally from Ireland and really dread having to go back anytime soon.Germany is a far better country to live..Since Ive arrived I have picked up a little bit of German mainly from asking my gfriend every two mins,whats that mean??

I would be interested in getting accomadation for myself in Hannover or maybe Hamburg.My main queries are where to begin german lessons and how do I go about finding a job.So guys please reply with some helpful advice.

Thanks a bundle...

Hello to everyone!

I'm also new here or better to say will be new here because I'm still in Okpo, South Korea. Hopefully I'll be in Hamburg in mid-May, I'm planning to settle down here and make it my new home. I think Hamburg is a lovely place and I'm excited to meet new people and make new friends.

Can anyone here give me some info about taekwondo classes? I'm a green belt now and willing to continue.

Cheers!

Leyli

Hello,

oh ... I´m also new here. I live in Hamburg for about 1 1/2 years now. It´s really a lovely and friendly city! I´m 30 years old, married to a german guy and we´ve got a 5 month old daughter.

There are a lot of different asian martial arts around, so you´ve got to think of in which part of Hamburg you´ll gonna settle down! I would recommend Eimsbüttel or Altona.

So have a safe trip!

Cindy

Hi Cindy!

I'm 29 y.o., have two kids who are 2 and 3.5 years old from my German ex-husband. I'll probably settle down in in Ottensen or Altona because its close to Hamburg International School, where my daughter will study.

Do you or anyone on this board play Mah Jong? I'm not a gambler but just loooove this game.

Leyli

Hello there .

I'm a married mum of 2yr old twins and will be moving to live in Hamburg very soon with my German husband. I am very curious about the expat scene in Hamburg and I would love to meet up with other Brits to have a chat and see what events and social meetups might be happening that I could be involved with . I'm also rather interested in whether there might be any English playgroups that I could join.

I look forward to hearing form anyone that can give me some tips!

catrin

hey to all you who have or had german partners... it seems like it's always the other person having to move to germany right? how are you finding it with 'home' being so far away? how about the kids... and their grandparents? can i ask of the challenges and pros?

hey to all you who have or had german partners... it seems like it's always the other person having to move to germany right? how are you finding it with 'home' being so far away? how about the kids... and their grandparents? can i ask of the challenges and pros?

Hi Jun

Do you have a German partner in Hamburg?

I have just become engaged to my lovely local Hamburg guy and can tell you/confirm that home is definately where the heart is. Yes, of course I miss my friends and family back home in NZ but I think its important that if you are planning to settle in another country - no matter where - you need to remember that you can create a home anywhere you are... especially if you have moved for love. I certainly have my moments but they are short lived. There are so many ways these days to keep in touch that mostly it seems as if my loved ones are just around the corner. We plan to stay here for at least 5 years and then head back to NZ for a stint so in essence we both feel like we have two homes. You need to view it as being lucky!

When do you come back to Hamburg?

Good day to all! My name is Amber and I am an American girl looking to meet some of the locals of Hamburg before my move there next year. I will be attending school in Hamburg next year to study the Germany language, history, culture and arts as well as learn as much as I can about my family history. I’m sure it may seem a bit strange to some that I am posting a message like this but I’m a very outgoing person who likes to to make friends and for me, knowing someone else while living in an unfamiliar place makes it much more fun! So, if anyone out there is interested in a new pen pal or someone to chat with from time to time please feel free to message me!

A few of my interests are music, spending time outdoors, my family and friends, movies of all sorts, the theatre and traveling. There are more details of my interests in my profile as well as a crazy picture of my sister and me in California a couple of years ago. If there is anything else you’d like to know I’m more than happy to tell you! I look forward to talking with many of you and perhaps meeting some of you next year! :lol:

Hi everyone,

I'm about to come over to Hamburg to spend a month with my ex-girlfriend. I will be spending some time brushing up on my German (I have just completed A1 here in Australia), by doing a month worth of the A2 course that my ex has offered to pay for.

I am interested to find some English speakers that would like to meet up in Hamburg for coffee, beer, wine, chats, sight-seeing, well anything really.

I land Sun 08.Jul.2007 and leave again 05.Aug.2007, so if anyone is interested in meeting up with an Aussie guy, please drop me a line, it would be great!

Bit about myself...

Male, 29, IT Architect, enjoy getting out and doing stuff. Rock climbing, swimming, bike riding. Really I'll give anything a go.

Anyway - hope someone is interested for when I am over there :)

Should say that I'll be staying in Altona-Nord while in Hamburg, and will be mainly pedal-power for getting around

hey trav. i'm a fellow aussie! have been in germany since november, n in hamburg since end march. think i'm leaving hamburg (but staying in germany) first of august... if u feel homesick anytime while ur here n i'm around, drop a line. or if u want to help alleviate my h/sickness!! peffanie@hotmail.com

travel safe

steph

I just moved to Hamburg (2 weeks ago) and have lived here before a couple of years ago, its a great place and I culdnt wait to get back here!!

I know a few German folks here but never really found the expat scene, I just saw this site for the first time and would love to hook up with xpat folks who would like to go out at weekends have dinner as a group/gang etc. I wondered if any xpats liked to hang out at the Beachclubs in the week after work on thursdays?, I have been down there a few times but never managed to bump ito any native English speakers.

I saw an earlier thread also about a possible curry club, did that ever happen?

I'm from the UK, 32 and work in IT for an American company in Hamburg. Lets hook up...

Hi All,

Well I'm new to this forum but "old" to Hamburg. Been living here for around 6 years now and moved over to be with my (ex-)girlfriend. For some reason I never got round to getting into the expat scene. But now I have the urge to meet up with fellow escapee's :)

I'm a Project Lead/Software Developer at a middle sized German software house. I have a 2 1/2 year old son who I am trying to hand over some Englishness to, but as I've been here in Hamburg so long I seem to have lost my touch. Oh yeah, I'm on the sunny side of 30 but only by one year ;) Like to bike around and am frustrated at the flatness of Hamburg. Drink cold beer (I'm not stealing other peoples comments honest guv), my favorite local being Finnigans! And much more...

Get in touch if you fancy meeting up with a beer or doing something else fun.

--Matt