Noisy children and sensitive neighbors

155 posts in this topic

we live above a flower shop in an altbau (read knackered) wohnung. our lovely neighbours in the flower shop are threatening us with legal action because our daughter runs in the flat. WE have removed all toys like bobby cars etc because they have moaned since day one. does anyone know what we can legally do to stop this idiocy. The rest of the people in the block know how silly this pair are but we are the unlucky ones who live above them: I know the easy English solution doesn't work here. any advice (not too silly ) would be helpful

Had a similar experience when my daughter was two. flat below was shared by 2 women in their twenties. They complained to us about our daughter running around and threatened to call the police. When we explained that young children need to move around occasionaly, they suggested we send her outside! We politely told them that we didn't agree and nothing was going to change. They still moaned from time to time when we saw them on the stairs, but they never followed thorough with their threat.

Mieterschutz maybe? They could write a letter for you making the law clear to the neighbours below.

Ah, here's the beauty of TT. Click through the links Noisy neighbours / Quiet Hours: what are my rights to find: similiar experiences, info on the laws, (they are on your side), how to further aggravate your neighbours with such helpful suggestions as buying the kid some clogs, and a couple of clicks through, even a link to a script on how to tell your child hating neighbours off in german. :)

Or let them call the police. The grumpy lady in the next building used to yell down at us when the kids went into the backyard. One sunday she screamed "Ruhezeit!" and I basically yelled back "Oh really, I think I will just call the police myself and ask or find out if you are just harassing children!" Never heard from her again.

They guy downstairs was different - this might be in the thread jml mentioned. I went down and listened to the noise, explained the apartment layout and promised to do my best to be considerate. He called a couple more times but that was it.

I myself hate noise in the apartment, so I am the one banning loud games and any jumping or running in the place (with two boys, pretty tough in the winter).

I'm fortunate that my neighbors below us are angels and love kids.

Six years ago we moved to a rowhouse in the Trudering part of town. Everyone has kids (read "kid ghetto") and is very understanding. Then some crazy retired guy (with hearing aids!) moved in & sent around a note about Ruhezeit. All of us with kids were here first & we outnumber him, so we just ignore him ;-) One of our neighbors (with kids) sent around this helpful link though: http://www.muenchen.de/kinderbeauftragte . It contains the actual laws regarding kids & noise.

Unfortunately, I've heard similar stories from many of my friends who live elsewhere. I read once that the fewer kids there are, the more they become the exception and therefore targets of grumpy neighbors.

Sad but true, it may only be in " family ghettos" like ours, where literally dozens of kids live at close quarters, that kids really have the freedom to play like normal kids. We are so happy here in our neighborhood - there's no Ruhezeit here & the kids here can play soccer in the park behind our house until 8 or 9 pm without anyone saying anything. We have 19 kids (ranging from 2 to 15) in our block of 10 row houses, and this isn't even counting the other blocks or the apartments, so you can imagine what it's like here! ;-)

Good luck & best wishes from noisy, happy Trudering!

dont worry about a thing, the law is totaly on your side. follow the thread jml suggested. and ignore anyone here who says i never ran in the house when i was two. yourë in bavaria, which when it comes to the rights of families to exsist and not have to hide quietly under a stone, they"re pretty good about it. oh and buy the kids clogs.

One of our neighbors (with kids) sent around this helpful link though: http://www.muenchen.de/kinderbeauftragte . It contains the actual laws regarding kids & noise.

NO it doesn't. It is still vague, filled with subjective interpretations: "Wenn Wohnungen hellhörig sind, wird das für alle Hausbewohner zur Qual," as is this whole thread.

Obviously, I am exaggeratingly overstating (redundant) this to make a point and draw a reaction, but I think people should just find some source of what the code is and print it, and not waste people's time:

How loud can my kids be and when?

<_< dont worry about the people downstaires in Germany Childern´s noise must be actcepted, i dont know how good your German is ??? the infomation for this topic you will find in http://www.kinderinfo.de/rechte/mieter.htm this should help you

Hope this will help Lodders (sorry about the english been using german for the last past 26 years)

I am in heidelberg...our neighbours complain for the littlest noise made by my kid (3 yr old) by jumping or something...even if its not too late in the night...like around 8:30 too...

I also have friends who were warned by their neighbours to call police if the child doesnt stop jumping in the house...how are small kids expected not to jump and keep quiet in the house...???

are there any rules/guidelines to follow for these???

Topics merged by admin

On the basis that even a 3-year-old can't make enough noise to waken the dead, I assume you own/rent a Wohnung in a Mehrfamilienhaus and don't live in a stand-alone property, so you should have received a copy of the Hausordnung from your Vermieter or Verwalter: what does it state there?

Also join the Mietverein. They helped us when we had problems with a landlady counting the weeds in the lawn. She was trying to add the cost of a gardner to our nebenkosten. One letter from the lawyer at the Mietverein and she backed off us instantly. Unfortunately, some people take advantage of foreigners thinking they don't know what their rights are.

My mad neighbour phoned me at 1:30am to complain that my fridge was buzzing. No kidding.

we live above a flower shop in an altbau (read knackered) wohnung. our lovely neighbours in the flower shop are threatening us with legal action because our daughter runs in the flat. WE have removed all toys like bobby cars etc because they have moaned since day one. does anyone know what we can legally do to stop this idiocy. The rest of the people in the block know how silly this pair are but we are the unlucky ones who live above them: I know the easy English solution doesn't work here. any advice (not too silly ) would be helpful

What would be the "easy English solution"???

Do they hear the noise in the flower shop? Tell them to play soothing music which will also get their customers to buy more :-)

What floor do you have? Maybe carpet with a thick underlay can absorb the noise.

We've had children living above us who jumped about so much that the chandeliers rattled - not good!

I have a problem with a child who lives above me. He throws a tantrum everyday, and often screams and cries for at least 30 minutes. He has woken me up in the middle of the night, he throws tantrums early in the morning, often waking me up before my alarm goes off, and he throws ridiculous tantrums outside of quiet hours. For example, it's Saturday and he has been literally SCREAMING AND SHRIEKING AND CRYING AND YELLING for an hour and a half straight (10:30 am to noon).

On another occasion, during an early morning tantrum that apparently even his mom couldn't take anymore, she put him in the hallway, where of course, his noise was amplified. I have no problem going upstairs and talking to the parents, but obviously, this isn't something they can control, or they would have done so by now. I suspect the boy has behavioral problems, which while unfortunate, should not mean that I am bothered by his unreasonable noise on a constant basis.

I suspect this is the reason the prior tenant moved out, and while I really don't want to move, I am thinking about it. Any constructive suggestions would be appreciated. The hausverwaltung has already proven herself to be rather unreliable (once they get their money...), so am considering writing a letter directly to the landlord. This is not about child bashing folks, so please no posts about letting "kids be kids" - this is above and beyond the normal level of noise that kids make during playtime. Thanks.

Talk to the parents.

They MIGHT be unaware about the impact, might think one doesn't hear that much outside their apartment. Might be so.

If not so you will learn how they think about it and what they are willing to do against it . After you can consider wether to stay or to move. Children go through a phase of screaming and trying to force their will up on their parents, but it takes two, and as it seems to me the parents here aren't really able to handle the situation.

The landlord probably can't do much about it, cancelling the rental contract (of them) because of this is most likely impossible.

Sometimes children go through a phase of having tantrums .. for absolutely nothing. You look at them wrong and off they go. You say the wrong thing and off they go.

We had this about 4 times with Sarah. There was absolutely nothing to be done. So, as you say, there would be no point in complaining to the parents about it. This would only add an extra bit of stressed to a mother who is stressed enough.

In the middle of the night - is yucky. However during the day, how about turning the volume up in your stereo or even wearing headphones.

I empathise but apart from killing the child - there is nothing you can do.