Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Life in Hamburg - general information

15 posts in this topic

After 5 fantastic years here in Munich looks like I have to move to Hamburg to a new job. I just want to know if anyone has information on things like:

* Where and Where not to live

* Brit meets in and around Hamburg.

* Things to do and not do.

You know what I mean, any info will be appreciated. I've tried web searching for ex-pat sites, etc. No luck.

Thanks

Hamburg is a great city, you will like it. I had a fantastic time everytime I was there, but sorry, i can't help you on your questions, I'm afraid.

I don't live there, but have an ex-girlfriend who does. Consequently I spent quite a bit of time there.

Still, I'm not sure what the best areas to live are...Would probably recommend you not live in St Pauli though. Great place to go out, but you won't be getting too much sleep there - especially if you live anywhere near the Reaperbahn!!!

I don't know too many Brits up there and am not too familiar with their hang-outs. But we (Munich Cricket Club) have toured there and played against Alster CC. So if you're into cricket, this might be a contact. We've also been up with Aussie rules to play against the Hamburg Dockers. Ok there are more Aussies there, but like I said, I don't know that much. There's an Irish bar called The Shamrock, which is a bit of an ex-pats hang out, or there's an Aussie Bar called The Down-Under.

That's as much as I can tell you...

Hiya

Hamburg is a great city (and if you get sick of it, it is pretty easy to go to Copenhagen, or the beach, or to the Ostsee...).

Here is an English speaking stammtisch group.

and another one

Handelskammer Expat Lounge

If you like running and drinking - Hamburg Hash Club Harriers

British Club Hamburg

Bollocks. In Abendblatt's listing psages I've just seen that NERD are doing an open-air in HH tonight :(

Katrina

A few of the Aussie guys from the Hamburg footy club live in Altona which they reckon is a good place to live. I stayed there for the weekend and it seems really nice and is close but not too close to the Reeperbahn which is where all the action happens.

The Schanzenviertel (in Altona) is very SoHo like, the art community, very cool, relaxed muesli typs. That's the only place I've been to. A friend lives there.

Areas to live:

The city is good but obviously depends on how much you want to spend and where you work. Altona, Eppendorf, Harvestehude all good places in the city to live.

Brits hang out mainly at Finnegans Wake (Börsenbrucke 4, 20457 Hamburg) near the Rathaus

Things to do:

Enjoy the nightlife, the great fish restaurants, the Alster, the Elbe...to much to write if you are more specifcic I can help

I have lived in Hamburg for two years so if you have any specific questions, just PM me.

You'll love it, its a great city to live in.

Hello!

I've only recently found out this forum and it seems like a great place with a great atmosphere and as I am in dire need of some advice, I hope that you'll be kind enough to a newcomer and answer a few of my questions. Now, I am aware that this forum is for people in Munich and as I am planning to go to Hamburg please excuse me - I couldn't find a decent enough forum for life in Hamburg, so that's why I am posting here. Thanks in advance!

Firstly, a bit of background. I'm originally from Eastern Europe (Bulgaria, to be precise) and after high-school I went to study at Edinburgh (where I currently reside). Now, Edinburgh is a great place for living and studying, but I somehow didn't fit in and besides I left a person back home that I hardly wanted to part with. So after planning it for a few months I've decided to move to Germany and study over there. I'll try to get in the Hamburg branch of the Miami Ad School and if I get accepted, which I sincerely hope I'll have to plan my moving over there, which as you know is kind of hard, especially if you don't have too much connections in the place where you're going.

First and most important, can you tell me how much I should calculate per month for rent? I'd be looking for a nice (not shit, definitely something nice) small flat to accomodate two (me and my girlfriend, who is going to study at the Hamburg uni ). Now, after spending some time browsing around for flats I reached the conclusion that a) I have no idea whether the locations for the flats I've found are any good or they are the dodgiest places - I've never been to Hamburg, so there's no way in hell that I could tell, thus it'd be nice if somebody actually recommended a good location.

Also, from most of the photos that I've seen the flats are hideously furnished, so I was wondering - isn't it better to get an unfurnished one and buyfurniture? Which one would be more expensive? And what kind of money should I expect to pay per month for rent and furniture (if I want to get some)? Also, I noted that the agencies have insane commissions, is there a way to get around them?

Secondly, how much money should I consider for monthly living expenses? That would include bills, food, a bit of going out for two students with a probably very moderate lifestyle compared to all the IT pros out there earning 60k?

And thirdly, what are the chances of obtaining a job? Now, my girlfriend will probably get an under the table nanny one (as, sadly, all eastern-european females seem to) for the time being, but I was wondering whether there'd be any interest in me, being a graphic designer with a few years of experience behind my back, some quite prestigeous web awards for websites (and I'm not talking about golden web award crap) and no pretences about the wage? :lol:

Would you think that I might end up finding a job over there? Now I know that this is an extremely far-fetched question, but I just read somewhere that Hamburg is THE place for all kinds of media-related work and as I am quite skilled and young (and handle the language pretty well), would there be any chances of getting hired or I shouldn't bother and go try getting a job in the wonderful world of under the table dishwashing&cleaning? :ph34r:

I know that my questions aren't extremely specific, but I'd welcome any info - it's really hard to organize this without being able to calculate the living expenses and whatnot properly and although I've sort of calculated an (probably quite wrong) estimate, it'd always be easier for a person living in the country to do one.

Please excuse me for the long post and for taking your time.

Thanks alot to whoever's nice enough to reply and please no flames - I'm really in need of some advice and you guys seem like a great place to start :)

Morning!

Anyone Brits out there living in Hamburg? if so whats it like? good city? nice place to live?

Reason is my GF has is applying for a great job in Hamburg, if shes successful we,ll be upping sticks and going to live there. We live in Frankfurt and are very happy here and like the city a lot. But theres a good chance we might have to leave.

Germans that I've asked have told me its "sehr Britisch". would,nt mind an Britisch perspective though.

Cheers.

Topics merged by admin

Hi, bluenose! :D

I don't live in the great city but my "long haired General" was born there. We often make the trip up there to book in at the relatives.

Apart from the obvious red light area, the city has a fantastic harbour/port area which is like a town within the city. There are miles of canals and waterways with cycle pathes. littered with cafes restaurants etc etc.

The night life away from the ripyouoffbahn is also superb with a very vibrant music scene, shit loads of live clubs for all tastes.

It you do get the chance I reccomend it. If it was good enough for Ringo and crew then its should be good enough for... well you know the score.

The bonus is you might see some decent football aswell. :rolleyes:

Hey Joolz,

I live in Hamburg; have done since November and before that, I did a semester at the uni for my degree. I LOVE Hamburg. I feel much more at home here than I did when I lived in the South. maybe because it is so much more cosmopolitan here. It has to be one of my favourite cities if not favourite. I hear quite a lot of english being spoken on the street which is a refreshing change from the schwaebisch of the past year! Maybe knowing that Im closer to home makes me feel better too. I think there's quite some english clubs here (linked to the embassy not the night type!) Of course everyone says Reeperbahn when they think of Hamburg and the atmosphere there is really cool but not my scene all the time. There's lots of cute cafes too and Blankenese is perfect for walking as you dream of owning a place there! Of course we cant forget the Hamburger Dom which comes three times a year which I love for the meter bratwurst and Glühwein. I thoroughlx reccomend Hamburg but mazbe Im biased!

Hi Joolz,

I lived in Hamburg for a year before recently moving back to England. It was my second spell in the city.

Really liked the place. Plenty of good bars and lots of Brits. There is also quite a good English food and book shop and a cinema showing movies in English.. Would recommend living in Eppendorf or Winterhude.

Tony

I will shortly return to the UK after 21 years in Hamburg and can only recommend it here! Not too big, cosmopolitan, very green...mainly cos it rains a lot, lol! But seriously, it is an attractive city with something to offer all tastes, loads of theatres etc, great places to walk, vibrant nightlife...no regrets on my part! :D

relaxed affluent suburbs: blankenese, othmarschen, eppendorg, rissen

relaxed affluent near centre: eimsbuttel, rothebaum, othmarschen, winterhude, harvesterhude, around alster, hoheluft

middle cool area: eimsbuttel, ottensen, between rothebaum and schanze

middle lively scene areas: schanze, altona, karoviertel (markt and feldtstrasse)

cheap, lively: st pauli

Hi,

I've been here since 1997 and reckon you'll love it...

* Where and Where not to live

It all depends on your age and what you're looking for - I can't really inprove on HHSS's answer above except to highly recomend both eimsbuttel and schanze.

* Brit meets in and around Hamburg.

Load's of pubs... The Mock Turtle is a good one, Finnegans Wake as someone already mentioned... the Irish Rover, The Shamrock...

The Hamburg Players is fun is you fancy a bit of acting - it's all English speaking and there are a few more English drama groups.

The Hamburg Exiles is an English speaking Rugby Team, The Alster cricket club... you won't be short of pl;aces

* Things to do and not do.

http://www.ufa-filmtheater.de/ufa-grindel-eng/ for English films and all the pubs above...

Sailing on the Alster

Good luck