What happens if Scotland gains independence?

825 posts in this topic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-19957358

Apparently, Sir Menzies Campbell's proposal estimates:

"Scotland would raise around two thirds of all the money it spends, under proposals due to be unveiled by the Scottish Liberal Democrats."

Well, in the day of double dip recession and the banks loaning more than they should, isn't this showing real ambition then?

Embarrassing statement. <_< I hope the EU has the balls to stop Scotland joining and wonder where the deficit would come from if they did.

I wasn't worried about independence before, I never thought it would possibly happen in my lifetime. I am quite worried about this now and would most likely also leave if it goes through.

I wonder if Sean Connery would move back then or does he just like talking a good game from his Spanish villa?

I find Scottish independence a strange concept, I've yet to see a pro argument that isn't all based on Braveheart, tartan, and shortbread. (All good things incidentally! Just not exactly real world is it.)

I went to the Scottish Olympians homecoming parade a few weeks back in Glasgow, large turnout of people. Lots of boo-ing when Salmond came on stage to give his 2 cents. So much so noone heard a word he said!

Being Scottish, you can generally just confuse anyone anyway! Most Texans thought I was Australian or Canadian a few months back!

John g. thought I sounded like I was from Cornwall... but then he thought the Australian guy was Dutch :)

To answer the question directly - David Cameron (or whoever is UK Prime Minister at the time) would suddenly find that the 'F' word is not so terrible and that a Federal Britain of independant countries is quite an appealing idea (at least it would be an excuse to avoid embarrassment and reduced influence).

Actually, in real terms, the Tory party would be far better off if Scotland became independant so I would not be surprised if he spikes his own campaign (once he wakes up and realises what is in his own self interests).

Me, I don't care one way or the other. Politicians are all in it for the power kick and their own self interests. It really doesn't matter who is ripping us off - someone will be.

Clueless. Of course, for years it was comparisons with Ireland, then Norway, and I even heard Sweden a few days ago.

Can't wait until they compare Scotland to England and realise, without having to be told, that their arguments are mental.

The thread title is now somewhat dated, with most polls indicated 30-40% (absolute maximum) wanting independence.

post-2492-13584940298898_thumb.jpg

If this new Scottish horror film, based on an anti-Scottish legend, becomes a UK/international success, it will be interesting to see how the SNP plays things in the media!

"Sawney: Flesh of Man"

Who was Sawney Bean?

"The Sawney story was a dig at Scots - a people so barbarous they could produce a monster like Sawney, who lived in a cave and ate people." ... The legend runs that the Bean clan took up residence in a sea cave which was hidden every high-tide and they raised a brood of 14 children and 32 grandchildren - all from incest. ... The premiere of the film at the Glasgow Film Festival is a sell-out and the makers are discussing worldwide distribution deals.

meh.

not sure what on earth this has to do with Scottish Independence or the SNP. Enlighten me.

A gruesome Scottish film based on an anti-Scottish legend which is a box-office sell-out in Glasgow, set for possible international distribution. With the SNP talking up all things Scottish, Scottish independence and how badly served Scotland is by England, how will they handle any wider success of the film, if that success materialises? They should logically trumpet it, given that it's a Scottish-made film. But in view of the subject-matter and origin of the legend, maybe the independence argument would be better served if they just ignored it and kept talking about Norway.

The "anti-Scottish" element of this legend lost relevance centuries ago. However, no publicity is bad publicity, especially when you have a film to flog.

As a kid growing up in Ayrshire, I was never told the tale of Sawney Bean - Famous Five was more my thing.

As an aside, I can't imagine why a parent would want to scare their kids shitless at bedtime.

Don't they want to have an evening of uninterrupted telly watching?

67% NO vote in a mock election at Glasgow University yesterday :)

The SNP were formed with Scottish independence as their main principle, so when they got into power they pretty much had to either make excuses as to why a referendum wasn't yet feasible or put it to the vote.

Part of me wonders if some of the career politicians in the party will be breathing a sigh of relief if the public vote no.

Part of me wonders if some of the career politicians in the party will be breathing a sigh of relief if the public vote no.

Next you'll be saying all they really wanted in terms of "independence" was a devolved parliament so they could give themselves a back-up plan if their London seat went down the swanee...

I have absolutely no beef with it if Scots go for independence - it´s up to them. What I find outrageous is that hundreds of thousands of Scots living in England, Wales and Northern Ireland for perfectly legitimate family and work reasons won´t be able to vote. Of course they are scattered around because it´s been one State till now. They are not quislings as I sometimes read from some fanatical posters ( I read the Scotsman! ).

That´s the kind of opinion I can´t stand.

They are not quislings as I sometimes read from some fanatical posters ( I read the Scotsman! ).

That´s the kind of opinion I can´t stand.

Maybe that's a logical opinion for the "here's tae us, wha's like us" brigade.

There are probably more Scots in Canada than in Scotland (I have one in the family)and I don't get the feeling they care very much what their shortsighted relatives are trying to do in their homeland. In a time when the political/economic units get larger it does not make much economic sense to have a separation. Reminds me of that Preissn- Bayern disput.Sure one can make fun of it, but to take it serious would be lunatic.I read a table of the 25 poorest countries of the world and they were all small. We have the French separatist in Canada and know how that spiel works and I never took them serious. They don't want to separate at all ,but try to get the few extra points for them self when the tax pie is divided.

Just to play the Devil´s Advocate here, Gaber! :D Two of the richest countries in the world have small populations: Norway and Switzerland!

Just to play the Devil´s Advocate here, Gaber! Two of the richest countries in the world have small populations: Norway and Switzerland!

There are always exceptions to the rule.Switzerland has been living of the world around them as it has a strategic location and was an ideal tax haven which has come to an end now and Norway was blessed with oil. Here again, there are just about as many Norwegians and Swiss here in NA as there are in their home countries.

Let's forget about such incidentals as the economic and legal implications of secession and discuss the REAL issue at hand. What the deuce will the new name of the United Kingdom be? The United Kingdom of Southern Great Britain and Northern Ireland? The United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland? How untidy. If Scotland goes, the UK should just dissolve and revert back to Ireland, Scotland and England w/Wales. One must always avoid messiness if at all possible.