What happens if Scotland gains independence?

825 posts in this topic

I think Scotland showed America we meant business when one of us established your Navy. :rolleyes:

Yeah, Independence! Just break away and leave the UK and Bush's lapdog Blair. The UK is just a lackey for the lone superpower in the world, the evil USA! The queen just wants all the oil in Scotland for cryin' out loud.

I think Scotland should develop their own nukes. That will show the world and the evil USA that they means business!

I think they call this how to win friends and influence people. ;)

I hear that Badbob also wants the US to invade Scotland for her oil Sin, so I guess that settles that ;)

It's our oil. Stop it with all this rubbish about Scottish oil. You don't have any.

I think Scotland should develop their own nukes. That will show the world and the evil USA that they means business!

I know that you were just trolling making an off the cuff remark, but isn't the presence of nukes at Faslane one of the things that the left at least really dislike about the union?

actually that's right Hippo. And the decision by the Labour government to renew Trident is actually one factor why the SNP are riding so high in the polls.

no doubt easily changed to suit, but here it is:

-------

Being Scottish is about driving in a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, then travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry or ,aTurkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

And the most Scottish thing of all? Suspicion of all things foreign!

Only in Scotland can a pizza get to your house faster than an ambulance.

Only in Scotland do supermarkets make sick people walk all the way to the back of the shop to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front.

Only in Sotland do people order double cheeseburgers, large fries and a DIET coke.

Only in Scotland do banks leave both doors open and chain the pens to the counters.

Only in Scotland do we leave cars worth thousands of pounds on the drive and lock our junk and cheap lawn mower in the garage.

Only in Scotland do we use answering machines to screen calls and then have call waiting so we won't miss a call from someone we didn't want to talk to in the first place.

Only in Scotland are there disabled parking places in front of a skating rink.

NOT TO MENTION..

3 Scots die each year testing if a 9v battery works on their tongue.

142 Scots were injured in 1999 by not removing all pins from new shirts.

58 Scots are injured each year by using sharp knives instead of screwdrivers.

31 Scots have died since 1996 by watering their Christmas tree while the fairy lights were plugged in.

19 Scots have died in the last 3 years believing that Christmas decorations were chocolate.

Scottish Hospitals reported 4 broken arms last year after Xmas cracker-pulling accidents.

18 Scots had serious burns in 2000 trying on a new jumper with a lit cigarette in their mouth.

A massive 543 Scots were admitted to A&E in the last two years after trying to open bottles of beer with their teeth.

5 Scots were injured last year in accidents involving out-of-control Scalextric cars.

and finally...

In 2000 eight Scots were admitted to hospital with fractured skulls incurred whilst throwing up into the toilet.

If you're proud to be a Scot, send this on!

And the decision by the Labour government to renew Trident is actually one factor why the SNP are riding so high in the polls.

no doubt the other reason is complete ignorance! actually both reasons are one in the same.

Thread revival

Scottish independence: One million Scots urged to sign 'yes' declaration

The "yes" campaign for independence wants one million Scots to sign a declaration of support by the time of the referendum in the autumn of 2014.

Scotland's First Minister Alex Salmond said independence would happen if that milestone was achieved...

Mr Salmond told the gathered media: "I want Scotland to be independent not because I think we are better than any other country, but because I know we're as good as any other country.

"Like these other nations, our future, our resources, our success should be in our own hands."

The first part sounds like a non-reason for becoming independent and he forgot to add "our failure would also be in our own hands". He seems to assume that cutting Scotland off from the rest of the UK after hundreds of years would be a guaranteed all-round success for the Scots. Or is he just thinking of his historical legacy and hoping to go down in history as "Alex Salmond, the great Scottish leader who led his country to independence"?

Interesting times we live in! The most successful multi-nation State in modern history. Will Scotland leave? We are in for a long period of debate in the next two years. Much will depend, I reckon, on how Tory-led Britain fares. The Tories in Scotland since Thatcher have been taboo! If the economy continues to weaken, unemployment rises etc, there could be a populist swing to Nationalism from the current 30% plus to over 50%.

Salmond? From what I have read, he seems pretty popular in the rest of the UK!!! I know quite a few in England, for example, wish " they " had a politician like him! But he IS a politician and he IS thinking of his political legacy - the ego is there.

I´m pretty sure Scotland could thrive or not thrive - just like anywhere else!!!

What will happen? Dunno! But , there again , whoever thought the USSR would disintegrate!

Scottish independence: Alistair Darling warns of 'no way back'

He compared independence to buying "a one-way ticket to send our children to a deeply uncertain destination"...

The Scottish government is planning an independence referendum in autumn 2014...

The SNP-led campaign for independence - Yes Scotland - got under way last month.

Launching the cross-party Better Together campaign in Edinburgh - which involves Labour, the Lib Dems and the Conservatives - Mr Darling said that Scotland, through family, economic and cultural friendship, was stronger in the UK.

I don't think that that can be so easily ruled out. When Scots vote on independence, will they also be voting on their new constitution and legal system?

How dya reckon that would lead to discrimination of catholics? or protestants? or pastafarians? That implies you think it was the UK government that is responsible for the massive reduction in sectarianism in the past 20 years.

Curious to learn how you reckon this

An independent Scotland would have its own legal system. Would Scotland continue to support Roman Catholic schools financially as is now the case?

You would think it's more likely to lead to more discrimination against English people living there?

And probably even more likely Scots living in England.

An independent Scotland would have its own legal system. Would Scotland continue to support Roman Catholic schools financially as is now the case?

Anything's possible. Politicians in democracies don't usually threaten to withdraw funding from a court because they don't like a court's decision:

Less than stellar : Alex Salmond evades support for Justice Secretary’s threat to Supreme Court funding, Lord McCluskey to chair review team

Lord McCluskey says Kenny MacAskill's conduct is 'unsuitable' for a Justice Minister

And, as an independent country, Scotland would have far more time to spend on internal squabbling.

Scotland has had its own legal system throughout its history, including at this very moment. The Act of Union specifically maintains that Scotland retains its own legal system AND its own educational system.

[edit: this is also part of the reason there are voices not to fund a UK Supreme Court (based in English law).]

If it stops financing religious schools completely I might even vote for it. If I still have a vote.