What happens if Scotland gains independence?

825 posts in this topic

I notice the tin foil hatters are out already with indistinct screengrabs of vote counters marking ballot forms and stacking YES votes in the NO pile.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/09/19/scottish-independence-video-proves-vote-was-rigged-say-yes-voters-4874786/

I happen to think that more women in governments everywhere would be beneficial for everyone, more jaw jaw, less war war etc. Don't know if I would call myself a feminist, but if it distinguishes me from people like you who would flat out denounce feminism as 'idiotic', then sign me up.

You said it Conkie.

That's not feminism, that's so called positive sexism which is just as bad as negative one.

Do you really think that if Sarah Palin were the president of the USA instead of Obama there would be less wars? No, you can't think so. The reason why women should be in power is that there is no reason why they shouldn't, that's it.

Why does this make me think of a certain M.Thatcher?

Sorry to contradict your rose-tainted view. Women in power are just as men in power.

conspiracy theorist eh?

given snowdon et al. revelations, could the spooks influence/adjust the returns to make the decision go the "proper" way.

Hmmm, looks like I spoke too soon. Is this clear evidence that the election was partially rigged?

Edit: Stop the above video at 1.21 mins. That is very clearly a yes vote on the no table. Then at 1.24, both of the ballot papers in view also look to be yes, but it is somewhat less clear. That is not in itself prove of rigging, they could have been merely being held on the table before being counted, or indeed the videos could have been altered, but it should be looked at very seriously. I wonder if Salmond will run with this?

No, as you can see from the Metro link up there, even the YES campaign stated that there was nothing to worry about. they just put them there BEFORE sorting them.

To clarify, ballot papers have not yet been sorted into Yes/No and are just resting on table where No will go once sorted. No need to worry.

— Yes Dundee (@YesDundee)

Hmmm, looks like I spoke too soon. Is this clear evidence that the election was partially rigged?...they could have been merely being held on the table before being counted...

The process apparently involves several stages, including counting the ballots into unsorted piles.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/scotland-independence-referendum-videos-claim-vote-definitely-fix-1466219

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/word_doc/0014/142052/Instructions-to-counting-assistants-LGEW.doc

The Russians also seem to think it wasn't fair. The UK didn't break up. Boo hoo.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/19/russia-calls-foul-scottish-referendum

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-29274783

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-29277527

Salmond to quit. Honourable decision, to be fair?

It was his lifelong ambition and he couldn't make it happen. So yeah, time for someone new to take the helm.

Don't know if I would call myself a feminist, but if it distinguishes me from people like you who would flat out denounce feminism as 'idiotic', then sign me up

SORRY mate, the only thing distinguishing us is the fact you cant read a sentence properly. show me where I said feminism was idiotic and Ill give you all my old noddy books -including the gollyw*g ones :D

The Russians also seem to think it wasn't fair. The UK didn't break up. Boo hoo.

In contrast to free and fair referendum guarded by Russian army in Crimea, of course.

Conspiracy crackpots in Russia go as far as suggest that this referendum was staged to humiliate Russia with regards to recent events. That's a nice example of reverse cargo cult.

CRAP! Please don't!

Reports coming in that tension is mounting in George Sq, Glasgow. Please show everyone we know how to win and we know how to lose... with dignity :(

You mean to say, there are some who can't take no for an answer?

Politics is the art of the possible and fighting is the continuation of talking with the fist.

From the live feed on Youtube it looks like your regular Old Firm scum acting up in the name of politics... or pretending it's about politic.

But to be generous, it might just be the No folk celebrating...

Bryan,

less powerful? The UK is already very far from being powerful I am afraid, but I am unsure what you meant by that exactly. "Less leverage against (why against, why not within?) the growing EU superstate": well, and again, the UK has far less leverage than the general population is led to believe based on the UK's long tradition of sheer populist politics. Perhaps it would also be productive for the UK to abandon, for a change, the laughably transparent misinformation campaign blaming "Brussels" for internal issues all caused by internal politics only.

Since you mentioned terrorists, first of all I do consciously accept being lured into this, and second, the UK is currently by far the most apologist mistaken delusional muslim petter of Europe, crying about illegal immigrants for decades, yet failing to accept the very basic necessity of even IDs, for instance. It is somewhat ridiculous to "tackle" rising illegal immigration waves "with great expenditure" in a country where there is no requirement by law to have an ID on you, ever, don't you think?

- "Hello, are you an illegal immigrant? Just tell me please because I can't ask for papers."

- "No, why, are you racist?"

- "Ah, I am very sorry sir, really, I didn't mean to ask that, here's a tenner, bye then."

What is your government doing, how is it held responsible, and what questions are you ALLOWED to ask them at all about not breeding terrorists in your own very country for instance? Where is the part of defense spending that would actually make the UK more secure? Ah, in not less delusional aid workers paid to wander around until they get beheaded on youtube, and in submarines capable of leveling cities? Both will surely help. A lot.

Furthermore, we cannot exactly state that the UK is a zealous protector of world- or even European security with most terrorists active in Europe being actually BORN AND RAISED in the UK, currently free to wander all over Europe, as well as to Syria to fight jihad, while the UK governments, all of them so far, are happily building mosques for the very same savages on state money (read: your tax), to have a breeding ground for radicalisation neatly protected by "freedom of medieval fascist ideology encouraging mass murder in the name of some particularly bullying imaginary friend" ... correction, I meant "freedom of religion", sorry. For those savages who are yet to make it to prison, that is, as the number one radicalisation scene in the UK is actually prison. Surely, it would seem easy to engage the prison radicalisation problem strictly and effectively in such a controlled environment, but not in the UK, no. Halal food is served instead, with extra cleaning of clothes for prayer, for reasons of sadly mistaken, exaggerated, deeply exploited, and overall entirely improductive and unnecessary political correctness, exercised exclusively in favour of people who have nil respect, understanding, capacity, or desire for any kind of correctness in general towards anyone not being them, which they also happen to openly advertise about themselves with great pride.

Going back to the less explosive (sic) main aspect of the topic, I also fail to see just how would have a democratically held referendum on Scottish independence from an England-only appointed superstate (yes, this is the UK) within another, indeed democratically appointed superstate (yes, this is the EU) made the latter somehow LESS democratic (?!).

- "Hello, are you an illegal immigrant? Just tell me please because I can't ask for papers."

- "No, why, are you racist?"

- "Ah, I am very sorry sir, really, I didn't mean to ask that, here's a tenner, bye then."

Just another uninformed right winger. Ah, why are you so equal? The same boring crackpottery.

Not a right winger, not a left winger either, just no more equal than healthy. Not even very much interested in mainstream politics. I appreciate (not really) the apparent fact that in a convenient bipolar world of yours, this left-right anachronism is dominant for reasons of number of your legs, but perhaps you can help yourself by considering how similar attempting to force that on everyone an everything is, to religious symptoms.

Dismissed.

Not a right winger, not a left winger either, just no more equal than healthy. Not even very much interested in mainstream politics.

Political illiteracy is not a valid excuse. You cannot claim that earth is flat and then tell that you are not interested in geography. It doesn't work this way.

I used the term "right winger" because in modern European politics right wingers tend to tell anti-immigrant crackpottery stories, but you are right that left wingers can be idiots, too. They are idiots on another things, not immigration.

For your information, foreigners are obliged to have a valid ID in the UK. No, you cannot claim that you are not a foreigner because false claim of citizenship is a crime and you can't fake English (Scottish, Irish) accent.