What happens if Scotland gains independence?

825 posts in this topic

I say cut Scotland loose. Makes no difference to me being over here but I'm sure my parents would appreciate the chance to pay no tax into Scottish coffers. Only question would be, who gets the North Sea oil fields, since this helps keep England afloat... :D

er, tartan, what is your point exactly?

Do you disagree that there is a fundamental robustness in the Scottish economy? Yes I do, it is not there.

Do you disagree that Edinburgh is Europe's second biggest financial centre after London? No but one swallow does not make a Spring.

Do you disagree that the growth of new industries such as biotechnology and electronics means prospects for the future are also good? Yes I do they are not there.

Do you disagree that even without the increase in employment of nurses, teachers and social workers, Scotland would still have lower unemployment than most countries in Europe? Yes because the UK employment figure are rigged in that they do not take account of long term sick. Scotland has a huge "unemployment" issue if you take this into account.

Do you just hate your country and want to portray it always in a falsely negative light? No I want the country to wake up and smell the coffee. The population needs to get control of their affairs and the political leaders need to set an agenda for the country. Scotland has a not too bad education system (not as good as the locals think) and need to use the Irish model to expand the economy not be dependant on it's big brother

I also just don't like spin from a quango, especially when they should be telling the truth to make sure change happens not just trying to save their Labour Party careers.

I guess if the Cardinal embraces independence then its all but inevitable: most Catholics vote Labour at the moment and Labour is the largest Unionist Party in Scotland :(

wtf. i totally missed this thread till now.

i cant understand why any scot in their right mind would want an independent scotland. i find the idea quite worrying. we couldnt organise a pissup in a brewery. actually we could, but not much else.

much better to scaff the union for all we can for the hundreds of years of complete shit england has dumped on is. much more satisfying!

Technical question: If Scotland is independent and England declares war, then that would no longer be a civil war, oder?

I dunno. You might try a sneaky move for all our oil. ;)

Damn! I just knew I shouldn't have mentioned the 'O' word. :huh:

You ain´t getting the Oil, cos all the cunntybolloxed English will just blow all the dosh on a big party, we Scots are a bit more responsible ;)

It's not your oil, it's ours, ya thievin' gits. :angry: Right, back to the war planning room.

Yeah, Independence! Just break away and leave the UK and Bush's lapdog Blair. The UK is just a lackey for the lone superpower in the world, the evil USA! The queen just wants all the oil in Scotland for cryin' out loud.

I think Scotland should develop their own nukes. That will show the world and the evil USA that they means business!