What happens if Scotland gains independence?

825 posts in this topic

Cameron: With independence, Scotland would turn into a third world country.

Scots: Well, not sure if it'll be that much better immediately

and er.. Conquistador: Scottish actual GDP is higher than England's (and those are actual numbers, based on current situation)

Good, then Scotland should go along with reform of the Barnett formula. Of course, I'd be more interested in what Scottish GDP is vis a vis English GDP minus public sector spending, since that's higher in Scotland. Furthermore, my understanding is that Scottish GDP figures also include its "geographic share" of North Sea oil.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that Scotland's demographic profile is less favorable than England's, which means more spending on pensions and less production.

I'm pleased with the result. Emotionally, I would have said yes to seperating, but my head always said no, and this is how I would have voted if I had one. What I hope now is that the close tally serves as a wake up call to the UK government, and they fulfill their promise of more decision making power to Scotland.

Congratulations "Scotland" for being the joke of the century.

They actually believe that England is going to give them more rights...

The 50%+1 single vote-system is IMO not the way to come to a decision of such importance.

Scots (or any other group of people in a state) live is the current form of state since long times. And changing this with all the effects this has on everybody's lives needs a real , overwhelming majority. Like 2/3 .

Otherwise it's just having turned upside down.

I think England will give Scotland more rights, but at the same time, they'll remove their rights to vote on England-only issues. This would probably be beneficial to the Tories given that their power-base is in England, so I don't see why they wouldn't do this.

So the polls were basically right in the end, with YouGov's prediction last night of 54-46 being pretty accurate. 85% turnout is high compared to general elections, but low compared to the Quebec independence referendum (94%). In Glasgow it was "only" 75%.

"I'm pleased with the result. Emotionally, I would have said yes to separating, but my head always said no, and this is how I would have voted if I had one".

Sorry, but that made me laugh. I'm sure you have a good head!!

Could be interesting times ahead, if someone grasps the thistle.

The Tories, Labour and Liberals have alienated almost half the population with their support for the status quo. Any changes from Westminser will be meaningless, probably only restricting Scottish MPs' right to vote on English matters.

What do the SNP have to offer now independence is off the agenda for at least a generation?

I'd say there's currently the impetus out there to start something new, whatever that may be.

Interestingly, the female vote was key in winning the No mandate - what does this tell us? That because women are less inclined to idiotic nationalism and xenophobia than men, common sense prevailed.

Ah, someone should explain to them that saying No at an election will mean No ;) *runs and hides*

But hey, I'm just an idiotic nationalist and xenophobe...

Interestingly, the female vote was key in winning the No mandate - what does this tell us? That because women are less inclined to idiotic nationalism and xenophobia than men, common sense prevailed.

im not trying to wind you up but your statement could be construed to be idiotic feminism by some. :P

Chocky is an infallible genius and everyone who doesn't agree with him is a blathering fool (the extent of which corresponds directly to the extent to which they disagree with him).

Agree that the three major parties showed themselves to be craven and weak.

Disappointing but not unexpected, the polls, the bookies and the financial markets seem to have been predicting the result for weaks.

Chocky is an infallible genius and everyone who doesn't agree with him is a blathering fool

It's true :lol: If only he could rule the world.

He normally calls me a paranoid conspiracy theorist.

conspiracy theorist eh?

given snowdon et al. revelations, could the spooks influence/adjust the returns to make the decision go the "proper" way. :ph34r:

It's not only the wimmin wot won it. The Yes campaign lost it by not getting its supporters mobilised in their heartlands. Turnout in the working-class Yes heartlands was low; in Glasgow, which voted 53% Yes, turnout was only 75%, while in Dumfries & Galloway, which voted 66% No, it was 87%.

So for all the talk of people engaging in politics for the first time, a lot of the working class still failed to vote.

It's not only the wimmin wot won it. The Yes campaign lost it by not getting its supporters fooled and indoctrinated mobilised in their heartlands. Turnout in the working-class Yes heartlands was low; in Glasgow, which voted 53% Yes, turnout was only 75%, while in Dumfries & Galloway, which voted 66% No, it was 87%.

So for all the talk of people engaging in politics for the first time, a lot of the working class still failed to vote.

FTFY. I'm neutral here, but one should use correct words instead of euphemisms.

It's not only the wimmin wot won it. The Yes campaign lost it by not getting its supporters mobilised in their heartlands.

I think the Yes campaigners also lost by not having set up alternatives. When they were told they couldn't have currency union, that they wouldn't be automatically entitled to EC membership, etc. they should have been able to say "we think we can, but if we can't, then this is what we'll do instead".

conspiracy theorist eh?

given snowdon et al. revelations, could the spooks influence/adjust the returns to make the decision go the "proper" way.

?? I don't think that anyone has been suggesting that, the result was very similar to what the polls had been suggesting. Now certainly the coverage from the British Propaganda Broadcasting Channel has been vastly unfair. I don't think Nick Robinson should be booking any holidays in Scotland in the future.

Edit: Now the BBC can get back to its real job of supporting the government in trying to start wars all over the place again.

they couldn't have currency union,

this was the most disingenuous line of the whole no campaign. Ireland had a (unofficial) currency union with Sterling from its inception as a free state/republic until the 1970s or 80s. As Darling finally admitted, they cant stop them doing it. Of course cant influence monetary policy if its unofficial but then again, scots dont vote tory and are are saddled with tory moetarty ploicy anyway.

im not trying to wind you up but your statement could be construed to be idiotic feminism by some.

I happen to think that more women in governments everywhere would be beneficial for everyone, more jaw jaw, less war war etc. Don't know if I would call myself a feminist, but if it distinguishes me from people like you who would flat out denounce feminism as 'idiotic', then sign me up.

Chocky is an infallible genius and everyone who doesn't agree with him is a blathering fool

You said it Conkie. ;)