What happens if Scotland gains independence?

825 posts in this topic

and when the voting is all done, don't forget to tune into EuroSport and watch Jensie ("Shut up legs!") take on The Hour Record

No idea of the implications for Scotland, but Jensie was well worth watching!

I'm a long-time 'no' supporter, but a number of people whose opinions I genuinely respect (and who are voting) want independence, so I really don't know what to think. We shall see.

Hm, I´ve just read that a turnout of 97% was expected.

No, 97% of eligible votes have registered to vote (read: told the old biddy with the checklists that yes, they are there). Turnout is expected to top 80% though, which is about double that at the last council elections

Despite a significant majority of you indicating being resident in Germany, some comments reflect the utter naivety of believing that in the current EU, Italy / Spain will be allowed to effectively veto and independent Scotland's EU membership per se, for petty internal "separatist" precedence fears. Just saying. Especially so if certain economically powerful members of the EU (which one in particular, a mystery) see it as fragmenting an otherwise already troublesome UK would lead to economic and diplomatic advantages within the EU. With less cards for Westminster in effectively trying to blackmail the EU into their quickly fading "special deal", most continental Europeans will very much understand the reason four sour grapes and misinformation attempts (incl. Rajoy et al.), and will know how to handle it.

It is very unlikely that an independent Scotland would NOT end up in the EU, and doing so without ever leaving it, in one way or another. Well, we'll see if this is relevant in the current context very soon, although both outcomes very much threaten Scotland with EU membership issues, for obvious reasons of Westminster now falling into their own populist trap of a UK wide referendum on EU membership.

A UK without Scotland will be less powerful, and will have less leverage against the growing EU superstate.

Plus, the "new smaller UK" won't probably be able to keep its current level of defense spending, which will make people like the mafia oligarch Vladimir Putin and ISIS very happy.

In a few words...if Scotland votes Yes it will make the EU even less democratic than it already is, and the world an unsafer place...

Just wondering why you believe the UK's membership in the EU is important in terms of democracy. Are all other members less democratic?

Just wondering why you believe that the UK's military makes the world a safer place? And why less military spending of the UK wouldn't be compensated by (more) military spending of an independent Scotland.

Participating at the invasion of Iraq with the disaster this caused, see ISIS, makes it hard for me to believe the UK's military policy is to be praised.

Just wondering why you believe the UK's membership in the EU is important in terms of democracy. Are all other members less democratic?

All other members are Germany and France. EU is Germany, France and the UK. All other members vote in affairs like spargel or olive oil but when it comes to real matters only these three countries decide. So, yes, UK exit will make the EU even less democratic.

There was a Dutch exchange student in Scotland on television and apparently he is allowed to vote as well. He mentioned that one vote could make the difference. At first he wasn't sure whether to vote at all, but you could see in his eyes that his vote might be the decisive one and then he decided to vote. He didn't say what he was going to vote though. The decision made by a Dutch exchange student. Can it be true :)?

Now what? Congrats...Especially when 97% registered to vote and 110% produced. I just Love politics... :P

A lot of the "undecided" voters simply didn't want to make their choice known, just as they do in the U.S. And generally these people are more conservative. The polls appear to have been leaving out the undecideds, and that has skewed the data. I'm not a Scot, just interested, watching BBCW for the results.

EDIT: I did think it would be closer. Sorry your side lost, Gwaptiva.

Relax People. It's all over but the shouting and life will go on more or less the same.

My deep freeze is almost full and I hope I can use it all before I die. Tomorrow I have to make another apple pie because I ate the first try and my wife thinks she is entitled to taste my art work.

On Saturday I have to attend an Octoberfest and I will be the only Bavarian in attendance; However some Scots may be there. :)

Well, it looks as though it will end in a no (54 - 46). Disappointing, but this must be the start of a really really close look at the way the UK's democratic processes. When people feel their vote matters, you get a turnout of 85%.

There was a Dutch exchange student in Scotland on television and apparently he is allowed to vote as well. He mentioned that one vote could make the difference. At first he wasn't sure whether to vote at all, but you could see in his eyes that his vote might be the decisive one and then he decided to vote. He didn't say what he was going to vote though. The decision made by a Dutch exchange student. Can it be true?

The Dutch exchange student, when resident in Scotland, would've been allowed to vote in local council and Scottish parliamentary elections, and in European parliament elections. Same for everyone (better than in Germany where he wouldn't be allowed to vote in Landtag elections). But the student wasn't the only one feeling that. And I ask, why cannot all elections give people this feeling that their vote actually matters?

The Dutch exchange student, when resident in Scotland, would've been allowed to vote in local council and Scottish parliamentary elections, and in European parliament elections.

Do you really feel it would be okay if the vote of an exchange student would have been the decisive one? If this would have been the case and I was party to the losing side I´d be outraged.

Hypothetical, because the electoral system does not have a tiebreaker vote. The student put in his vote like everybody else, like the 300,000 or so English people that were allowed to vote. You don't hear me arguing that those 300,000 could've been decisive and therefore bad.

The results are in. Alex Salmond has admitted defeat.

Scotland has voted no to independence.

It's a no vote, which is good news, now we have to wait and see how all those English MPs are going to react to the last minute devolution promises made by Dave and his gang of knuckleheads which were made without any consultation with Parliament. Makes you wonder why they didn't consider the question sooner, and more carefully..

It's a no vote, which is good news, now we have to wait and see how all those English MPs are going to react to the last minute devolution promises made by Dave and his gang of knuckleheads....

They are already back-pedaling....