What happens if Scotland gains independence?

825 posts in this topic

Relax, Gwaptiva! It´s not only Young Tories who have communication/understanding problems with Glaswegians! :D

TRUE STORY..about 7 or 8 years ago, a WELSH businessman was giving a presentation in Glasgow to a bunch of, well, erm, Glaswegian business people and he, erm, made a joke:

what´s the difference between the New York mafia and the Glasgow mafia?

Silence in the house.

:rolleyes:

Then; " the New York mafia make you an offer you cannot refuse, the Glasgow mafia make you an offer you cannot understand "... true bloody story, Gwaptiva!

The Young Tories they showed last night on WDR are exactly the kind of thing that makes people vote Yes

But that's childish. Aren't adult people supposed to ignore a bunch of crackpot kids and not base their decision on what they are saying? You can find the same people in Bavaria talking about "Ossis".

Ha Luke! :D Do you realise the Gunns ( the g point people!) come from Sutherland ( NE Scotland), where it´s insanely cold! I prefer to live in poverty and sell Bolivian health insurance to Japanese tourists on extremely warm Crete and wear nothing ( apart from glasses ) whilst posting on Toytown! :P

Mind you, it rained today and I was deeply incensed.

But that's childish. Aren't adult people supposed to ignore a bunch of crackpot kids and not base their decision on what they are saying? You can find the same people in Bavaria talking about "Ossis".

When I said, Young Tories, I don't mean cute 16yo-William-Hagues-at-conferences... these were people in their mid- to late-20s, the next bunch in.

Ah, the thing is available in the Mediathek... from about 6:48

But then, I guess it's very hard to hear properly when your head's that far up your rectum

Oh, and kaffeemitmilch: if "what happens to the health system" would be the only issue, Scotland would be independent with a 90% yes vote. The Scots are wanting to keep it the way it is; the current government appear to be planning to sell it off to the highest bidder.

And john: TMI!! :)

I prefer to live in poverty and sell Bolivian health insurance to Japanese tourists on extremely warm Crete and wear nothing ( apart from glasses ) whilst posting on Toytown!

Waddya mean, Gwaptiva? I think John's fashion sense is great. :P

(BTW, what *idiot* admin linked this topic to the top of the forum page with a huge logo?!? Booooob!!!)

Ship building for BAE systems will go south...

Good, whatever is left of it can take the nukes with them too

I thought Salmond and Sturgeons last speech was quite good. Well placed "Underdog" statements etc... however engineered that was. Not sure if it was enough to "turn" the undecided into Yes though.

I could imagine Edinburgh would be more of a No territory, so was wondering why they didn't choose that (their weakspot) as the venue for the final speech. Still, the Yes campaign has been there often enough in the past.

The Scots are better off with a no vote, for the simple reason they will get concessions and can play that game more often than once and hold the whip over the English all the time. (Just look at Canada how the game is played)

Why is that better than independence?

Ironically, TT servers are in Manchester, England. Does the banner mean that they will move?

Not that it matters much, but I grew up in Québec during the referendum in '95. Oddly, we only left the province after the "No" side had prevailed. Many others left before that. Back then, the question on the ballot paper was a little bit misleading while the Scotland referendum is clear. In any event, the entire province lost its life blood and Montréal in some areas looks worse than certain areas of Lisbon or Athens after the Euro crisis.

In hindsight, I believe Quebec didn't completely implode because of the ridiculous amount of cash the feds pumped into the place at the expense of the rest of the country. Crown corporations, (that shouldn't even exist) were moved there and provided a further false sense of security for the public.

I'd be sorry to see Scotland go, but if they must, they must.

I'd be sorry to see Scotland go, but if they must, they must.

...and so will all international financial institutions. Stock holders are freaking out and the world economy will be screwed for a few weeks. So, now's the time to bu your favorite stocks. Not kidding....

Well praise be, Andy Murray, 'Mr Eloquent',has lent his support to the Yes Campaign. Not exactly a surprise as he doesn't strike me as being one of the world's 'thinkers', that's not his fault, after all, he makes his living by hitting a yellow ball over a net and having it hit back at him, but his decision is still somewhat disappointing given that he draped himself in the Union flag after he had won Wimbledon, during which he enjoyed just as much support from English fans as from Scots.

I am pleased Mr Murray is a +1, but not so sure if I resemble the comment about thinkers (even if I agree that Mr Murray isn't one of those).

Well praise be, Andy Murray, 'Mr Eloquent',has lent his support to the Yes Campaign. Not exactly a surprise as he doesn't strike me as being one of the world's 'thinkers', that's not his fault, after all, he makes his living by hitting a yellow ball over a net and having it hit back at him, but his decision is still somewhat disappointing given that he draped himself in the Union flag after he had won Wimbledon, during which he enjoyed just as much support from English fans as from Scots.

In the name of balance, it should be noted that a squad of Scottish ex-rugby players have backed the NO campaign.

It should also be noted that these guys spent their sporting careers banging each other's heads together and drinking pints of piss for larks.

Regardless of what happens, it's been good to see so many Scots who have never been involved in politics suddenly become full of hope for the future. My brother was in George Square in Glasgow last night and posted a picture on Facebook. When I mentioned that he'd never been interested in politics before, he replied saying 'there's never been any point up until now'.

Regardless of the vote, I wish my fellow countrymen all the best.

I am pleased Mr Murray is a +1, but not so sure if I resemble the comment about thinkers (even if I agree that Mr Murray isn't one of those).

If Yes wins, it will be on the back of anti-English hatred and nationalism, there has been no sound economic or financial reasoning behind the Yes campaign. Devolution I agree with, giving the Scots the power to get rid of Faslane I agree with, but doing away with what is one of the most successful Unions between two nations in the history of civilisation for the sake of notions of romanticised battles of the past is insane.