What happens if Scotland gains independence?

825 posts in this topic

Support for Scottish independence is on the rise with more people now supporting it than devolution for the first time

And with the Labour Party in self-immolation mould there could be meltdown at the May 2007 Scottish elections, delivering an SNP victory (they have been ahead of Labour in the polls in recent weeks). The SNP have said they will hold a referendum on independence within 100 days of forming a Scottish government.

Although a lot can happen before then, there is a possibility that we are starting to get a glimpse of what could turn in to the final breakup of the UK.

Which makes me wonder what I will do if this happens. I own a house in London and have strong strong ties to England but my parents live in Scotland and in many ways that is where my heart is. So, would I be Scottish or English when the UK splits up?

Related topic: Independent Scotland and the EU

What would you prefer to be? Sounds like you'd be Scottish- but would simply own property in England. That's ok, isn't it? Or do you consider yourself more English than Scottish?

I guess it's a fairly specious point really. Ultimately I'd like to retire to Scotland but while I am still working I'll probably be based in London. There are actually a huge number of Scots in a simlar position.

SIM- what happened with the Irish in the 20s? Was there flexibility in which nationality you chose and which passport you held?

My guess is that the Scottish parliament will do something dumb to bankrupt the country. The English will then be charitable and offer to bail them out, if they agree to being ruled from London. History has a way of repeating itself.

If they could allow us to choose but with flexibility to change in due course then that would probably suit me. But I am not sure that things could really be that simple in the event.

The Scots are idiots if they separate. Just like the Quebequois.

I bet most of them haven't thought about things like there will be a separate passport and there will be separate money. I don't just mean that it will look different, it will be another currency. That things like work in the rest of the UK may require visas if they do it. Maybe not, but it is a definite possibility.

The rest of the world is moving together but there are always a few dunces who want to move apart.

My guess is that the Scottish parliament will do something dumb to bankrupt the country. The English will then be charitable and offer to bail them out, if they agree to being ruled from London. History has a way of repeating itself.

if that were even remotely true then the English would have to start work now to create the conditions to bankrupt Scotland just as they did in 1702.

totally agree.

I bet most of them haven't thought about things like there will be a separate passport and there will be separate money.

you are probably right but I don't think passports is a big issue really, what with the possibility of dual citizernship etc. As far as money is concerned, I think many Scottish seoeratists would like to introduce the Euro as their currnency. A bit silly, if you ask, so long as the rest of the UK hasn't done it.

The rest of the world is moving together but there are always a few dunces who want to move apart.

I think what helps people move together is to have a clear sense of self and national identity. Once you are confident about those thigns, it is easier to see commonalities with others and move together. Scottish seperatists, and many Scots in general, appear to have a massive inferiority complex which they try and make up for by jingoistic nationalistic ideals.

Don't worry- devolution isnt going to come.

For a start that survey is based on a sample of just over 1000 people and probably not really representative.

Second when push comes to shove the people living in Scotland will not vote for devolution. I always get the impression that people who say they would vote yes are really saying "I'm pissed off with the English because they ignore us and they are arrogant etc so they can just F- off".

When they really get a chance to put devolution into action then they will (hopefully) be a bit more rational and realise that the UK needs to be United for its own good.

OG, they would have to get approval before getting the Euro, which might be fast-tracked, but wouldn't happen overnight.

Your results came from a poll of 1176 people, approximately 0.02 % of the population. Perhaps 0.04% of the population which would be eligible to vote. It ain't gonna happen.

I wonder how well Scotland would survive on its own? As far as I'm aware, they have the most unemployment and therefore the most people on the dole in the whole of the UK. If this is the case, it would do England, not Scotland a favour if they left.

The Scottish like the bitch about the English, but they are living it up at the Englishman's expense..

actually, nothing like the Quebecois

I bet most of them haven't thought about things like there will be a separate passport and there will be separate money. I don't just mean that it will look different, it will be another currency. That things like work in the rest of the UK may require visas if they do it. Maybe not, but it is a definite possibility.

On the contrary, exactly these issues have been the number one political issue in Scotland in almost 50 years. And it is only since the SNP started the 'independence in Europe' campaign that independence has had any real resonance. I don't support independence myself but the apocalyptic view that the ky will fall on our heads is a little out of date. It is unlikely that Scotland would be booted out of the EU if it became independent so logistically not much would really change. This is quite different from the course the Partie Quebecois were charting where Quebec would have separated off from and isolated itself from the other Canadian provinces.

Don't be so ignorant. How dare you describe the Scots as 'dunces' when you have just yourself demonstrated an ignorance of the issues involved.

Yeah Bell, you gave a lot back-up to your arguments, didn't you? Easy to say I'm ignorant but even easier not to bother to prove it. One statement of opinion isn't fact.

OG, they would have to get approval before getting the Euro, which might be fast-tracked, but wouldn't happen overnight.

Other countries out side of the official "Euro zone" have also unilaterally declared the Euro as their official currency, i think, like Kosovo. They (Scotland) have the added problem of not being able to fix the rate of exchange but would have to live with cross-over period with daily fluctuating exchange rates.