The current weather in Munich

171 posts in this topic

I know two beekeepers (Imker) in the Munich area, and they told me has been absolutely no honey crop to date because of the weather.

What little honey the bees could collect they consumed themselves!

In fact they are starving - they even are swarming = basically creating an additional queen and kicking out half the population to help the other half to survive. The swarms that left died.

It's raining so much I hardly have any bees visiting my balcony flowers that usually are enthusiatically targeted.

If the rain stops they might make it on "forest honey", made from flowering trees, as most spring flowers are pretty done for.

And the blackbirds nesting on my balcony abandoned the half finished nest, never laying any eggs.

I live in NRW and I've noticed the same as Metall with the bees on my patio. Normally my patio is a haven for bees, but this year they are very rare visitors. The blooms look pretty miserable too because of all the rain. 

My blackbirds were successful though. I've just ordered a blackbird nesting box from the Deutsche Wildtierstiftung to encourage them to nest here again.

Amsel-Nistkasten

my garden is a disaster.  When it's not raining I've been getting plenty of bees, but those times have been few and far between.

We also had an abandoned blackbird nest - they built one, then a week or so later I saw them pulling at the edges, and next day it was on the ground.

I hate to say it as I love birds, but I can do without the blackbirds.  They are obnoxious in every way.  I don't wish them any harm but I do indeed wish they would go somewhere else to scream, fight, dig up plants and poop on patio furniture.  Even the crows sound appealing compared to the blackbird squawking of late.

Blackbirds only scream to protect their eggs and young - to ward off cats and other birds, such as crows and magpies, which steal their eggs and  eat their young. This also warns other nesting birds that danger is near. My cats are quite fearful when the parent blackbirds come swooping and screaming down on them, so they stay out of their way during breeding time. Otherwise blackbirds are famous for their melodious song. Crows and magpies seem to scream all the year round. 

what can I tell you.  Yesterday especially the screaming was relentless, lasting all day long.  No cats in the innenhof - in fact we are all wondering where the hof cat has gone since we haven't seen her in a few weeks - crows doing their usual thing sitting around on top of the wall looking slightly evil, squawking occasionally but not much else, yet it was bedlam with the blackbirds.

Compared to these critters, crow-squawk is music to my ears.  Crows also don't destroy my garden nor do they fly deep into my covered terrace to poop on my furniture.  That's the blackbirds.

they may have reasons they behave the way they do, but nope.  I don't like them.

Maybe the feeling is mutual. 

I've never had bird poop on my patio in the 12 years I've lived here and there are loads of birds abound here. Not even when my blackbird tenants were nesting here. 

Metalls Beekeeper friend must be the unluckiest beekeper in Germany...

All plants need to flower to re-produce... the flowers bring both Pollen and Honey...   The pollen is usually what they eat ...

The Honey is stored to feed the young...

Granted there may be a little less honey, but never "None"

19 hours ago, bramble said:

Maybe the feeling is mutual. 

I've never had bird poop on my patio in the 12 years I've lived here and there are loads of birds abound here. Not even when my blackbird tenants were nesting here. 

yeah they throw mulch and dirt from the garden bed onto the patio, then do a flyover-dive bombing exercise around the table and chairs before taking off to do the same in my neighbors' gardens ;)  I've never done anything to them so I don't know what their beef is.

I'm glad you don't have this problem!

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

yeah they throw mulch and dirt from the garden bed onto the patio, then do a flyover-dive bombing exercise around the table and chairs before taking off to do the same in my neighbors' gardens ;)  I've never done anything to them so I don't know what their beef is.

I'm glad you don't have this problem!

Hi Lisa, they are looking for worms in your garden, they shake the dirt off them. The dive bombing normally only takes place when cats or magpies/crows are near in a brave attempt at driving them away from their nests/young. Sorry you are having this problem with blackbirds. It's nature. I have cats and I screech at them too when I catch them trying to catch birds. 

yes I've gathered that.  Meanwhile, dive bombing my totally nonthreatening furniture and shitting on it, when no cats nor crows nor any other creature are anywhere within 75 meters at least, is an interesting interesting defensive move.  Is it to say "hey look what I'm doing to this totally nonthreatening piece of furniture.  Imagine what I'll do to you!"?

I gather you like them.  I don't.  That's it.

I am also having a big bird shit problem this year, it hasn't been like this before, and it's indeed these Blackbirds doing it.  One fence pole was absolutely covered in shit because this one blackbird was just sitting there crapping all day.  I put a spike on it and that seems to have gotten rid of him, but there is still crap everywhere else.  It's out of control.

*wham* *boom* *flashflashflash* *drum*

Big thunderstorm here!

"...thunderbolts and lightning, very very frightening!" :D

Normally, there are few bugs around during summer after a long and cold winter. This year, we had a mild winter, so I expected bugs to become an issue during summer, but we have few bugs around or at least in my neighbourhood. Any thoughts on this?

9 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Normally, there are few bugs around during summer after a long and cold winter. This year, we had a mild winter, so I expected bugs to become an issue during summer, but we have few bugs around or at least in my neighbourhood. Any thoughts on this?

I guess they are all snuggled bugs under rugs. Oh but wait, usually the end of August in Bavaria has a cold spell and we didn't this year.

The bugs cometh...

"cometh" - archaic third-person singular simple present indicative form of come. (No that was "come" not "cum".

God I'm drunk,