Hamburg restaurant recommendations

76 posts in this topic

post-16-1157001694.jpg
If anyone is looking for a classy (but affordable) restaurant to go to in Hamburg, try this one.

Restaurant-lounge Riverkasematten

Between Fischmarkt and Landungsbrücken S-Bahn station.

Not only a restaurant but also a lounge and terrace looking on the hafen.

Riverkassematten

St. Pauli Fischmarkt 28-32

20359 hamburg

Tel.: 040 30060190

Wish I could go to "Christos & K" - Hamburg's best Greek - tonight.

(Stellinger Weg 47 - Tel 040 43 27 05 56 - it's small so do call!)

I recommend staying with the warm and cold starters...

Highly recommend "Fusion" at Hotel Side. Food is excellent and there is a good bar too.

"Positano" in Eppendorf is a good local italian too (can't remember the road name).

Ashoka on Budapesterstr. for a nice Indian, in my humble opinion the best in Hmabug, really tasty, good prices and very friendly staff.

Went to Das Weisse Haus last night in Altona/Övelgönne and had their surprise menu. On a Monday night they just give you a bill for the drinks and then ask you to pay what you want to for the food.

On the whole I was pretty impressed.

and then ask you to pay what you want to for the food.

I don't understand.. so you could give them €0.01 ?

Well, I guess in principle you could, but most probably they put a lot of effort in making it good so that you actually want to pay for it. It's the same with those free tours that are offered in several cities (Berlin, Munich). You go there thinking that you won't pay anything, but at the end the tour is so good that you actually feel that you want to pay for it. And so you do.

Yep, that's how it works. The food was that good that we paid a decent amount for it. i.e. more than €0,01. ;)

I went to a fantastic restaurant this weekend and it is a must for all Italian food lovers. The place is quite close to the harbour and offers an authentic italian dining experience. Everything is prepared fresh according to your order (so no yukky microwave meals here), it is inexpensive, friendly and most of all delicious. They even have a live talking parrot to entertain you! The italian couple that run the place are wonderful hosts!

Try it out

Osteria Rigoletto

Pastorenstrasse 20

20459 Hamburg

ph (040) 688 74494

Open Tuesdays - Saturdays for lunch and dinner.

Enjoy!

I had no clue I had replied to this thread before.

Anyway, to the point, are there any good places to eat close to the Radisson or the rathaus area (that's about 10 mins walking from the Radisson)?

Maybe something "typical" from Hamburg and not very expensive. Thanks for any suggestions.

And if there's someone interesting in meeting up for eating something tomorrow night around 9 then we could even organise an improvised event.

sorry, only just saw this.

have not much time now, but Brauhaus Joh. Albrecht at the backside of the Rathaus is nice for a drink and some typical German food (gutbürgerlich = plain fare). In the Rathaus there's Parlament - not exactly cheap, but very nice, very good food, decent cocktails.

On Börsenbrücke there's Finnegan's Wake Irish Pub - my favourite pub, also decent food.

Some other ideas, but I haven't got time, google yourself:

Fleetenkieker, Kartoffelkeller, Cremon (VERY nice, good for Flammkuchen and fish of course).

Touristy: Friesenkeller at Alsterarkaden. Or Deichgraf.

@Panama: By the Radisson is a chicken wings joint with an Australian theme (can't remember the name, maybe Down Under or something like that.) They have lots of different flavors of wings, sauces, etc and it's a great place to have a pint. Inside the Radisson is Trader Vics. It's expensive and the service is atrocious but the food is amazing and so are the cocktails.

Can I suggest someplace to NEVER EVER eat? It's called Tai-Pan and is on the opposite corner from the St Pauli station at the top of the Reeperbahn. They are a Japanese-ish place that offers an all you can eat sushi deal for 9,90 euros. Eaters, beware. This is the worst sushi I have ever eaten. The sign advertises sushi and warm food for 9,90. This consists of old, dried out California rolls, some greasy egg rolls and other strange things I didn't even want to try. Near the front of the restaurant is also a "hot bar" where you can load up a plate with items and have the chef cook it up for you in the sauce of your choice. All the meats and veggies were immersed in a vinegar water (kind of like what raw tofu comes in) and no amount of sauce could cover up that taste. Plus, this part of the restaurant costs extra. There is a tiny sign, but since I don't speak a lot of German, I didn't understand its meaning. Worst Japanese food I've ever eaten, and to top it off they charged us 7,80 euros for two cups of tea! I tried to argue with the waiter over the price of the meal but in this country the customer is not always right...

On another note, if you are looking for amazing Chinese food, try Man Wah, which is on the Reeperbahn one corner up from the Burger King, 18 Spielbundplatz. It's pricey but worth it. My best friend is Chinese and we took her there when she came to visit. She loved it!

Thanks Hammonia and marymanu for the suggestions. I'll try some of them next time. I'm flying out tonight already and just saw the replies.

Will try to stay more than 24 hours next time.

I ate at an Italian place which is on a side street close to the Kennedy bridge. Food was good and service very friendly, can't remember the name though.

Some other good finds:

D. Jose in the Portuguese Quarter (U Landungsbrucken) - Great Paella!

*warning - extremely large portions. Menu says "for 2" but enough for 5.

www.d-jose.de

Palazzo Restaurant - Rothenbaumchaussee 185 - great italian (Naples cuisine).

Hamburger Fischstube at the Collonnaden is great! Reasonable prices for excellent food (seafood).

This is the most useful thread I've seen on TT in ages.

Was out last night with some people at a decent place called Variable on Karolinenstr. 23. Everyone agreed the food was very good, portions ample and prices reasonable - that goes for the drinks too. The place was full but only slightly smokey.

@marymanu - what a drag to be ripped off like that, but you were on the Reeperbahn. ;) I've found the best sushi in HH comes from trial and error in your own kitchen. It's vastly over-priced wherever you go. Check out Vinh Loh downtown near Saturn, Hauptbahnhof and main public library. Huge Asian selection including everything you'll need for sushi except the fish. Fish recommendation: Hagenah's on Bornkampsweg. A bit out of the way by public transport, but well worth the trip if you're planning a party or stocking up. They also have a cafeteria-style restaurant for a good lunch. The place is always packed.

Have to do a thumbs-down on the Down Under. Their wings are over-rated. The sauces for them are rather bland and gooey and as for the atmosphere: think fire in a tunnel and you've got the smoke level, and if it's really full, you have to scream to be heard over the noise.