Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Zum Standesämtchen - Frankfurt

6 posts in this topic

post-11390-1156853178.jpg
Zum Standesämtchen is a lovely restaurant this in the picturesque 'Römer' across from the city hall.

I had the Rats Herrn Pfanne for €17.80. Expensive but well worth it for the quality of the food, the excellent friendly service and the lovely location. Quality, service, location, yup that's the main factors for me there. A weizn will set you back €3.90.

The buildings in the Römer are not as old as they might look at first glance. Everything was rebuilt after the war and some renovated as recently as the 80's. On a warm evening it's very pleasant to sit outside and watch people wandering past. Granted some of the tables are on a bit of a slope, but you get used to it fairly quickly. I found that holding my Weizn in my left hand rather than my right provided a sufficient counter-balance.

Zum Standesämtchen

Am Römerberg 16

60311 Frankfurt/Main

Telephone: +49 69 282999

What a gorgeous building! The name's a slight off-putter though... reminds me of paperwork and governmental bureaucracy!

I may be way off but "zum standesämtchen" says "lets elope" to me but in a happy, i'm so in love with you I can't bear to wait way, not in an I just knocked you up so we better get this over with kind of way.

Sorry Eleanor, we don't really know each other, so lets just have dinner first and take things nice and slowly. Perhaps by dessert time I'll be ready to pop the question.

The "Römer" will be familiar to many Brits due to Heidi, a 1979 feature film was dubbed into English and shown on BBC children's programming.

Still now you can see Brits singing "doo doo di do di do do do" etc.

Unfortunately, the German original has different music ("Heidi, Heidi, die Bergen sind ihr Welt"), which was pointed out to me by a helpful passerby the first time I went there.

Also home to a rather wonderful Christmas market and where the German football team meets the fans when they win something big.

Nice salads in that place btw.