Bi-directional escalators and usage etiquette

40 posts in this topic

Funny experience yesterday as I was about to rush down the escalator at Implerstr about 5pm.

A 30 something tall guy stops me and starts talking to me in painstaking and confusing German about the escalators and I asked him to repeat himself, then he stops this German guy also and repeats his escalator rant again and which point I had detected he had an Irish accent so asked him if he spoke English. At this point I thought he didn't understand how the changing direction escalators worked and needed help however... BUT he had stopped to tell me off for daring to use the escalator to go down when there might have been people wanted to go up!!

At the time I got to the escalator it was actually stationary, but apparently he had spotted another (young able bodied) woman approaching from below and thought I was incredibly selfish for activating the escalator my way! Probably I was, but I was hurrying and had no thought in my mind except getting to the train! And I didn't see her and told him so. "That's what they all say!" he said. :blink:

Anyway, I left him there, ran down the stairs to catch my train. However, I was quite bemused thinking of my usual situation which is that I travel around Munich daily with two small children and a pram and am always waiting for escalators to change and its a fact of life and it doesn't bother me! I wait- everyone has a right to use them in my opinion. It was very unusual that I was childless at that point yesterday. I wish I had told him so. I am not sure who he thought he was... having a bad day or just an escalator nazi?

Anyone else run into escalator rant guy? Is he on TT ( identify yourself :) )?

Heh I like that game, if i see someone approaching from the other end i pretend not to notice but speed up to get there first, and give the other person a "should have been a bit quicker eh" look.

It was probably Keydeck.

Had that thought m'self... He does match the description and he has an affinity for escalators... :lol:

Haha! I like that game too. I also enjoy glaring at the people comfortably escalating down when I have to huff it up the stairs.

I'm not completely without a heart though, I feel appropriately guilty if I see an old person or mother and pram waiting at the bottom as I'm gliding slowly down.

no if it were Keydeck you'd have understood his German. :)

When I was on crutches I noticed how many elevators there are where you can't see the other end to see if someone who really needs it is standing there...

@Renia, I find that Fuck Off! is a universal language phrase which might have assisted you in the incident. Best delivered up close and personal face-to-face. Have fun. ;)

If it was Keydeck he would have posted on here just after 5PM...with pics and all

I've been on crutches too many times (the last time for 13 weeks) and it's more than just anooying when you can't take the steps (too narrow/slippery or trying to also carry something) and one schmuck after another gets on without looking at the other end. I know you can't always see it but in most place you can see someone wating. I waited with a woman and her double-stroller for five minutes at the Hbf before someone saw our predicament and tried to stop people getting on the downward bound escalator. Some idiots pushed by him anyway, not geriatrics, either. It was people who would've had no trouble whatsoever walking down a flight of stairs.

woof.

having a bad day or just an escalator nazi?

Escalator Nazi (I like that!) for sure. Actually the people going down have to catch a train and are in more of a hurry so they should have priority.

I am an "Ampel" Nazi. I was stopping on a light changing from amber to red and, yes, I might have been able to squeeze through but I wasn't in a hurry, so I was slowing and the guy in the car behind started beeping his horn (which made me want to stop all the more) and when I had stopped, continued to honk for a good ten seconds. I am a mild mannered but sarcastic bastard sometimes, so I got out and walked back to him to ask if there was a problem. "Klack" went his central locking and suddenly there was something very interesting up in the sky that caught his attention so he didn't notice me standing there ;)

the people going down have to catch a train and are in more of a hurry so they should have priority

No way! I think the only people that have priority going down are people who really need it, such as parents with prams or elderly/injured/etc. Run down the stairs.. it can't be that much faster with the escalator..

Even if the escalator is going downwards I take the stairs down. I just don't believe in it. I also glare at those riding the slow steps down while I climb the stairs.

I have to agree that really the escalators are there for the elderly, infirm and those laden with kids and suitcases.

I really don't know why healthy young people insist on taking in down (or even up for that matter).

Work some butt and leg muscles. I always get up the stairs walking, faster than those on the escalator.

The simple things in life that give us so much pleasure . . .

My personal favourite is pushing the pedestrian crossing button just as I see a whole row of cars approaching the light. Or crossing the street really slowly when there's a long row of cars waiting.

Those passive aggressive behaviours that make my day just a little bit brighter :D

Run down the stairs.. it can't be that much faster with the escalator..

Not for me - and surely not in heels! I think I might have some vision or balance problems because when I take the stairs too fast I always trip and fall. It's almost like I can't see the individual stairs, or I don't estimate the distance correctly or something. I also notice this happens towards the last third of the staircase. So, the escalators are better for me, as they end as soon as I get off balance!

That said, I do try to be polite as possible.

I have to agree that really the escalators are there for the elderly, infirm and those laden with kids and suitcases.

if that were the case then there would be a big sign at the top saying so. And CCTV cameras monitoring it. And probably a scary old lady sat there shouting at people. And the U-bahn wache would fine you €40 for being an escalator Schwarzfahrer.

Also, if that's what escalators are for - what's the point in the lifts they have at all the stations?