Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Office working temperatures

15 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if Germany has any employment laws related to minimum and maximum permitted working termperatures? For example is there a law that says you're not allowed to work in an office where the temperature is higher than a certain level?

What is the ambient working office temperature in Germany?? At what point can I up sticks and leave if its too hot?

Topics merged by admin

Are there official guidelines for that govern the office working environment?

Specifically is there some minimum and maxiumum temperature which is considered to be appropriate?

Today is cooler than of late and it is 26 degrees - tolerable, but not desirable for me! For hotter days I would like to know the rules.

I read in a previous post that back in 2006 basically there was no such thing unless you were pregnant.

Office working temperatures

Have there been any improvements on this?

Topics merged by admin

Depending on what kind of office it is (do customers come into it?) you might be able to get a fan for your desk... I'd ask my boss about that. At my last work place in Heidelberg it would get really hot during the summer and we used fans. (And I envied the ones working on the 1st floor every day - it had air condition.)

its that time of year again..I understand that if the outside air temp is between 26 - 30 then the Employer Shall do the following, if the outside air temp is above 30 then the Employer Must do the following:

i) effective control of shading devices (e.g.keeping blinds closed outside working time)

ii) effective control of

ventilation (e.g. night cooling by ventilation)

iii) reducing the internal heat load (e.g. running electrical equipment only when necessary)

iv) early morning ventilation

v) applying flexible working hours

vi) casual dress code

vii) providing soft drinks (e.g. mineral water)

It also notes that mental performance degrades over 33 degrees but doesn't state any requirement on the Employer or relaxation for the Employee (eg nap-time :)..

I work from Home Office & its 30 C outside (the short rainshower only served to set humidity to 99.5%).

My wife opened the window.

As usual I start early & continue until late :(

vi) casual dress code

I wouldn't go into the office dressed as I am now!

Have a nice bowl of Mövenpick chocolate chip ice cream on the desk.

Only works if you live in a windy area close to the Polar Circle

When I got up at 7h here in Heidelberg the outside temperature was 26°C.

Doesn't matter how flexible I am, the temperature in the office is 30°C.

vi) casual dress code

has no influence on the temperature.

Still hot.

What about an A/C? The solar cells in Germany are producing more than 20GW right now(comparable to 20 atomic power plants): http://www.transparency.eex.com/de/daten_uebertragungsnetzbetreiber/stromerzeugung/tatsaechliche-produktion-solar

Instead of selling the energy cheap Germany should subsidise air condition in all houses.

What good is air conditioning when they set the thermostat on 30°?

I guess better than 37°.

There, answered my own question.

good news is by tomorrow we'll all be moaning about how cold it is :lol: whoops make that next Thursday when it drops to a more comfortable 17

Told the Wife I'd pick her up in the car today A/C running full blast - damm those nosey bodies who complain, she just about died on the sbahn yesterdayt

good news is by tomorrow we'll all be moaning about how cold it is whoops make that next Thursday when it drops to a more comfortable 17

Whoops, seems I punched in the wrong postal code thankfully leave on holidays soon