Why are you happy today?

18,199 posts in this topic

Shame the neighbour is going.

He's been brilliant from what you've written.

Magnolia :lol: 

45 minutes ago, kiplette said:

Shame the neighbour is going.

He's been brilliant from what you've written.

Magnolia :lol: 

My neighbours are certainly brilliant. The wife has even started on the overgrown garden….bless them both. 

I managed to intervene a bit to get the kitchen and bathroom white! The decorator only had those 2 colours with him. Delaying for other colours would have messed up the already super slow re-let process. 

A little warm glow in the ocean of darkness upon us now.

Liberia taxi driver: How returning $50,000 changed Emmanuel Tuloe's life.

The story of what happened to Liberian Emmanuel Tuloe has the quality of a modern fable.

The 19-year-old, dressed in a school uniform of sky blue shirt and navy shorts, looks incongruous in a class full of pupils at least six years younger than him.

But the one-time primary school dropout is happy.

Last year, he was struggling to earn a living as a motorbike taxi driver when he found $50,000 (£40,000) in a mix of US and Liberian notes, wrapped in a plastic bag by the side of the road.

He could have easily pocketed this life-changing amount. But he gave it to his aunt to look after and when the rightful owner appealed on national radio for help in finding the cash, Emmanuel came forward.

Mocked by some for his honesty - people laughed at him saying he would die poor - his act earned him generous rewards including a place at Ricks Institute, one of Liberia's most prestigious schools.

The baby calf can stand on its feet within minutes. That is not fair. Took me more than a year 👻.

Same here in reverse, Luke! As an ex-baby,   I now find  it hard standing up sometimes! Thankfully, and due to incredibly clever people, I can stay in or on the bed and print emails and get work done! ( Or not!😂)

My wife and I just lost our heads a bit, abandoned our usually frugal ways and and bought two new bikes: a fancy e- mountain bike for her  and a top gravel bike for me. Expensive month but 😀

Now my bike family is complete: city bike, MTBx2 (winter/summer), road/race bike and gravel bike :ph34r:

Made it to Yerevan on Tuesday, and the weather has gone from bad to good.  Loving my visit with the 2 & 5 yo Germerican-Armenian grandkids.  Russians are everywhere and I had to laugh today after the 3rd instance of being mistaken for one.  

I'm not a Luddite... just a bit behind mostly re technological advantages. Basically, I'm useless! And WhatsApp- wow! 

My daughter is currently in South America - in Colombia! And the messages and photos come immediately!❤️👍

Edit: I am SO useless! Just tried to add a pic here but too large for the TT set up..sod it then!!!

It is a wonderful thing. We would have struggled through Covid without these Internet-based connections - imagine :o

6 minutes ago, john g. said:

My daughter is currently in South America - in Colombia! And the messages and photos come immediately!❤️👍

Better than Paraguay where you can end up in jail for no clear reason 👻.

Close shave there, too, Luke!😂

I am more worried about my daughter following in my footsteps and buying an emerald from a suited businessman on the street for five dollars instead of the quoted 100 dollar price❤️😂. He agreed. I thought I had been canny! No, I stored " it " away in my sock and later had it evaluated in Brazil. It was worth zero!😂. Dreams of becoming an overnight smuggler millionaire!

God, I was so young and naive!!

To all of you: it was different then. No internet. What did most people in the UK know about Colombia or Latin America in general. Probably different in Spain or Portugal.

Silvia is more street wise. I am just worried about the crime rates there. Or anywhere these days..

By the way, Luke! Silvia lives 10 minutes away from Amsterdam, has bought a flat there and is very happy. 3 cats. 

On 4/10/2022, 6:44:35, BethAnnBitt said:

Made it to Yerevan on Tuesday, and the weather has gone from bad to good.  Loving my visit with the 2 & 5 yo Germerican-Armenian grandkids.  Russians are everywhere and I had to laugh today after the 3rd instance of being mistaken for one.  

Just gain weight, wear clothes with American flag motifs, and talk loudly in public. That should solve the problem, @BethAnnBitt.

Puffed into the alphorns all afternoon yesterday à deux in a beautiful spot. Good echo. More music making today followed by communal traditional feed. The power of good. Sure as hell need it.;)

It was a predictably nice day. And that baerlauch pesto i made was absolutely 5 star unbeatable.

A beautiful day outside gardening and fixing a greenhouse with other people. 

A barbecue and then a bonfire. What a fine evening to walk between the vegetable beds in the moonlight! :D

Several days ago, rather last minute, I asked my son and DIL if I could take my 5 yo granddtr from Yerevan back with me to Konstanz to surprise Opa.  They thought it was a lovely idea.  I rebooked, did my homework on what was needed, and worked with everyone to keep the secret.  🤪  We made it through our brief interview at border control in Vienna without an issue, and we surprised the heck out of Opa upon exiting the train in Konstanz.  Everyone's over the moon!  And now we know how to repeat this operation.  New adventures await.  😄