Why are you happy today?

17,860 posts in this topic

Ill get my booster at "our" orthopedician's nearby 3 weeks from now. Biontech; they have nothing else. Woohooh!

1 hour ago, Sannerl said:

Ill get my booster at "our" orthopedician's nearby 3 weeks from now. Biontech; they have nothing else. Woohooh!

🥳 🎉 🎊 As an aside, I find it interesting that so many orthopedic practices, at least here, are turning into mini vaccination centers.  Easy money?  I made our appt online.  It’s nearby and we will walk out with our digital certificates (and skip the trip to the Apotheke).

5 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

The Netherlands qualified for the World Cup 2022! Back in business.

You guys left it late! Congrats and happy for you👍

Yeah, thanks. In the previous match we led 0-2 against Montenegro 10 minutes before end time and then they equalized: 2-2.

Nothing really important, but a few days ago my husband saw those beautiful güveç (earthenware pots with lids) at the Turkish supermarket nearby.

20 Euros each.

He asked me if he should buy one and which color (the other one is blue); I told him "Yes; both" - and today I learned (while searching for the name and to confirm my guesses how to handle them) that they are 33 Euros each everywhere else...

Zenis Bulgarischer Schmortopf, Tontopf zum Kochen, runder Bräter mit Deckel, backofengeeignet, Steintopf aus Naturton, tra...

23 cm diameter, holds three liters. We are happy.

I already had matching individual serving bowls with a similar pattern...

I had a great onco check up today. Nothing has changed!

FYI - she did tell me that the antibody tests are crap and inaccurate. Even if they worked, there is nothing you can do but keep up with vaccines.

On 17.11.2021, 22:02:24, fraufruit said:

I had a great onco check up today. Nothing has changed!

FYI - she did tell me that the antibody tests are crap and inaccurate. Even if they worked, there is nothing you can do but keep up with vaccines.

Not all antibody tests are created equal. According to Kekulé there has been a recent agreement about making them comparable (results showing as BAU/ml (binding antibody units)). At least in Cyprus I still have to find a laboratory offering those though. According to him, reasonable levels of immunity can be assumed if you have at least 45 BAU/ml. Unfortunately, he didn´t specify what antibodies he was referring to (I assume he meant non-neutralizing) anti-spike antibodies. On the other hand, lack of antibodies doesn´t equal lack of immunity.

Edit: I´ve just listened to his latest podcast in which he sounded less confident about the 45 BAU/ml threshold. He said he knew of cases who had even higher levels (several hundred) but still got sick (not enough though to need to go to ICU). Something around 1000 BAU/ml should be ok though.

On 17/11/2021, 19:19:05, emkay said:

We’ve been collecting native tree saplings from gardeners that would normally be disposed of. Our aim was to simply save the saplings in order to replant them where they can grow freely. We had an overwhelming positive response and were offered thousands of saplings from all over Germany and even neighbouring countries. We took as many as we had space for and spread the simple idea to others.

However, when it came to donating the tree saplings, there seemed to be no place for them. Even our Bürgermeister tried to find suitable locations. No chance in the forests as the rules required trees to be certified. No place for free trees!  We have donated several already for private rewilding projects.

We’re happy today as our local Green party main man just turned up at our house to ask if he can collect our trees for a local planting project.  

Every tree counts…..

About 50 of our trees and shrubs were collected today. All will be planted in our forest. We’re especially happy that our sad potted cherry tree will finally be planted to grow freely. 

Have to post this again here -

All three white men charged in the death of Ahmaud Arbery were convicted of murder Wednesday in the fatal shooting that became part of a larger national reckoning on racial injustice.

The convictions for Greg McMichael, son Travis McMichael and neighbor William “Roddie” Bryan came after jurors deliberated for about 10 hours. The men face minimum sentences of life in prison. It is up to the judge to decide whether that comes with or without the possibility of parole.

'All three white men charged in the death of Ahmaud Arbery were convicted of murder Wednesday in the fatal shooting that became part of a larger national reckoning on racial injustice.

The convictions for Greg McMichael, son Travis McMichael and neighbor William “Roddie” Bryan came after jurors deliberated for about 10 hours. The men face minimum sentences of life in prison. It is up to the judge to decide whether that comes with or without the possibility of parole.'

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oh Happy Day. 

If parole is allowed, it will be effective only after the men have served a minimum of thirty years.

In the meantime, the original DA on the case, who told one of the suspects to go home and wash Arbery's blood off his hands, has lost her job and been indicted recently for using her position to delay the arrests of the men convicted today.

We have our appointments for the "booster" vaccination.

This morning in the local newspaper they mentioned that from today Schleswig-Holstein would open their booking website for the over 60s.

Also two letters arrived for us (one each) from Land Schleswig-Holstein stating that being over 60 we could make an appoinment.

So this afternoon I opened their website, entered our first names & DOBs & pressed the button - an e-mail with a link appeared immediatly (not after 1.25 hrs as in last May).

Clicked on the link, added further info & selected our local Impfzentrum (had been gutted & are now reinstalling) and a date early January (6 mths plus 1 day for good measure).

A list of appointment times appeared - selected one & our appointment was booked.  Worked a dream.

18 hours ago, katheliz said:

using her position to delay the arrests of the men convicted today.

This. That was what no one could understand. Why they weren't arrested immediately. I hope they nail her.

The DA should be locked up. What a travesty of justice she was looking for. Despicable.

12 hours ago, HEM said:

We have our appointments for the "booster" vaccination.

Ditto ....

apart from I didn't get a letter and my local Impfzentrum won't be reopening, so I have to travel 25km. 

But the website / booking system works well. 

Aren't we lucky:P

Appointment at 10.50 to ummelden this morning. Got there 20 minutes early and the Beamte said: " you look lost. Come with me!"

The man was so helpful and even amended my Aufenthaltstitel card address for me. 

" On your old Anmeldung it says your wife's name is xxxx. Is that still the case?"

Me: " God, that was ages ago. I'll have to check my diaries😂".

He had a sense of humour ... " let sleeping dogs lie. Otherwise, I'll need proof of divorce papers etc."

So we let sleeping dogs lie.

Very helpful. 10 out of 10, sir!👍

I was out of there at precisely the time my appointment was supposed to be!!

On 11/26/2021, 7:31:54, HH_Sailor said:

Ditto ...

apart from I didn't get a letter and my local Impfzentrum won't be reopening, so I have to travel 25km. 

But the website / booking system works well. 

Aren't we lucky:P

Well, that was then....

3 days on and the Ministry found my letter box too, advising that I get me a booster. 

Fiendish cunning these Germans.

Very happy to see this beauty today.  My husband rescued a huge hibiscus plant from neglect at his office a while ago. I snipped off lots of leggy branches and put them in water to see if they would root. Despite lots of advice suggesting this just doesn’t work for hibiscus…it did! The old plant has never flowered though the offspring now has lots of buds!

E35D9757-EFEF-4E30-A56E-13022E12CC91.jpe