Why are you happy today?

17,860 posts in this topic

This has never ever happened in my 8 years on Crete. Laden with two heavy bags full of fried chicken, cat food, ciabbata bread, two chilis, grapes, slightly spicy cheese, Hundewurst, a mango, two unripe avocados, plus whatever I ate later ( have forgotten ), I got on the bus from Ierapetra to our village.

It was empty apart from me and three teenagers, who got off fairly quickly.

The driver was in a good mood, smoking as he drove ( the smoke wandered past the strict no smoking sign to his left ), and chatting on his SmartPhone et al.

As we got to the beginning of the village, I used the usual words to ask a bus driver to stop.

Normally, that means driving to the end of the village ( about 400 metres ) but he just stopped, leaving me only about 30 metres to carry the shopping to the house ( up-bloody hill, though. 😩 Unbelievable!

( Mind you, no wonder my Nicole wasn't at home -- she was waiting at the normal stopping place with dog Roza)😂

After all the excitement, I have decided not to go to the disco tonight!🤩

Funnily enough, HH , I looked at the driver's hair and wondered when he'd last washed it!😂

( influenced by 23 years of a German lady in my life who notices such things!❤️😂).

But, yes , I think we have seen each other in the village! His face was not unknown!

I don't watch TV much, but I do watch the "ARD-Buffet" frequently and call if I have something to (constructively) criticize or commend.

This time, the lady and me recognized each other immediately and we had a nice chat about - adopted cats; she has a new kitten one (due to her connections on SWR) she fell in love with - and her 7-year-old tom-cat (neutered, I assume) gets along with the tiny one admirably.

37 minutes ago, Cheekyfox said:

Ferry booked, and got a day 2 PCR test in the UK for £9.95. Excited for the move and my new position.

That is a bargain.

If travelling on or after 22 October, no longer need 2 day PCR (if fully vaxxed) but a 2 day laterlal flow test.  They are cheaper. 

14 hours ago, snowingagain said:

If travelling on or after 22 October, no longer need 2 day PCR (if fully vaxxed) but a 2 day laterlal flow test.  They are cheaper. 

True, when I was in Germany in September DM sold them for €0.98.

I had a wonderful two days with my three kid sisters, who all traveled to visit me.

616cda65da894_SheilaSharonKathleenDenys1

First time all four of us have been together in seven years.

A load off our minds. We are off to Hamburg next week. We will not return to Crete for several months ( house and office house will be locked up)..

But what about the four resident cats? Mr Grey, Molly, Robin and Mickey.. who have houses in the patio and quite like living in the patio and eating...

We are entrusting a lovely local Albanian lady, who loves animals , with the key to the patio. She will feed them with the food we will leave in sacks, water the plants, take care of any " dead mice " etc for those months. She will also get money from us ( though she was too shy to ask ). She can then help with feeding her kids and the rest of it. Her husband is a day worker if he can get work ( low paid)..

Win win. We are happy for her and the cats and for ourselves - we will worry less about the cats ' winter lives here.

6 hours ago, john g. said:

We are off to Hamburg next week.

Trust you are prepared for the Hamburg weather: currently howling gale & lashings of rain.

Fischmarkt reported to be flooded.