Why are you happy today?

18,206 posts in this topic

Indeed, bramble! Our policeman friend Giannis accompanied Nicole with Oscar the cat to his new home today- to a different animal shelter. The guy running it ( a friend of Takis ) has a hundred dogs there and a hundred cats and is really stressed. On his own, not the youngest guy in the world and recently lost his wife to cancer on top of it.

We will actively support him. He burst into tears when Nicole gave him a generous donation.聽

https://www.facebook.com/109308320849543/posts/never-mind-the-soft-cosy-blankets-we-dont-just-play-with-boxes-we-sleep-on-them-/398342571946115/

Giannis the policeman has already handed out 600 fines to abusive animal " owners."

It is truly shocking here in that regard.

19 hours ago, john g. said:

Giannis the policeman has already handed out 600 fines to abusive animal " owners."

He's very brave. He's probably making himself very unpopular, but this cracking down is what is needed to get the message home to these people.聽

On 9/25/2021, 12:29:52, john g. said:

A law like this is what fundamentally changed things on Malta! The islands of Malta and Gozo were absolutely overrun with abandoned and abused cats and dogs, with people casually kicking/shooting at/running over them.

The mangy starving hordes begging at restaurant tables, plus EU entry, made the government worry about tourism and enact the law with big fines.

The SPCA did a big spay,neuter,release program, and peace has ensued with maybe 10% of what was going on before. Pets no longer are playthings to be thrown away.

I'm glad Greece is finally following suit.

I'm very happy that most of my ivy plants, the demise of which I had lamented on the unhappy thread in spring this year, have been slowly recovering with gorgeous healthy looking new shoots these past few weeks. I had cut them right back in the hope that would do the trick.聽

2 hours ago, bramble said:

'm very happy that most of my ivy plants, the demise of which I had lamented on the unhappy thread in spring this year, have been slowly recovering with gorgeous healthy looking new shoots these past few weeks. I had cut them right back in the hope that would do the trick.聽

We had the same problem with our ivy suffering frost damage. I cut it all down and surprised it has taken so long to recover. Just starting to see some growth.

Kid 1 has returned home with the results of his first Klassenarbeit from Gymnasium (he was previously at a Waldorf school, so it was also聽his first ever school test in Germany). He got a 2, in German.

Well yesterday - following the two first solo the previous weekend we had another one yesterday (Saturday).

The evenings are drawing in & we just managed to complete his 3 short flights (about 7 minutes each) & then pack in.

After washing & putting the gliders away & dealing with the paperwork, when de-briefing was held it was too dark for a photo.

First time driving home in total darkness.

At our club the first solo pilots get a "Warnveste" signed on the back by all those who were involved in flying operations that day.

They are supposed to wear it for the rest of the day.

MD-APr眉fung.jpg

Just to add: The "A"-Pr眉fung (a theoretical paper plus the first 3 solo flights) does NOT mean they have their license.

Far from it - it means the completion of the first of 3 stages in the training.聽 There is plenty more to come (practice, conversion

to flying single-seaters, various exercises with & without instructor, 60 hours of theory聽 ending in both a theoretical exam plus

a practical (by an external examiner).

But is a day that will never be forgotten.

So happy! This lovely mum and daughter from England are taking two dogs - including the handicapped one. That is love!

And Leona has been adopted and off to England after 6 years at the rescue centre.鉂わ笍

Well done. I had a similar exp茅rience yesterday playing Alsatian folk music and Alphorn, although the scenery and acoustics left much to be desired.聽:lol: