Why are you happy today?

17,824 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Cheekyfox said:

Got the contract for my new job as a Lead Test Engineer for Orbex Space. Slightly unhappy as I have to move to Scotland.

Edit: unhappy about leaving Germany not about going to Scotland.

Excellent and congratulations👍

Where in Scotland will you be?

5 hours ago, john g. said:

Luke! She's not going to Manchester!!!

Manchester is not rainy. Summer of ‘95 was one big heat wave, so I had to postpone my dissertation for my MSc with Prof. McGoldrick (Scottish lad). He was always on conferences in sunny places.

Friendly lady called Takis after finding an abandoned puppy in the street. 

Arrived back yesterday evening via Hamburg airport following an excellent (if rather hot) 11-night vacation on Ibiza.

Apart from one pretty big thunderstorm we had sunny weather.

Away from the crowds, most mornings a 20 minute walk to a secluded bay for snorkeling.  Saw & filmed a couple of octopusses hiding under rocks.

Good to have been fully vaccinated!

I am happy today because I only had to wait 45 minutes for the late bus to town in the 35C heat😂. Hairdresser's, cat and dog food bought, breakfast by the lake in Agios and was delighted to take a taxi home , laden with heavy shopping , with a delightful young man who, it turned out, has 9 dogs and watches Takis' s daily dog rescue reports. 

I loved him straight away when he asked me where I was going to. " Kavousi." 

" Ah, good, cos I can't be away more than  2 hours. I have dogs."

He got a healthy tip for being a dog lover and smiled when I said to him " karma, babe".

11 minutes ago, john g. said:

So the octopusses are still healthy then? Phew👍👍

According to Wikipedia they only live for a couple of years...

So we've done well then, HEM!😂👍

And I am happy you had a lovely holiday!

20 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Manchester is not rainy.

Na - ja.  I lived just South (the South-West) of Manchester for the first 30 years of my life and it was often pretty wet.
I also studied at the University there & my first job was with a university research group...

20 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Manchester is not rainy. Summer of ‘95 was one big heat wave, so I had to postpone my dissertation for my MSc with Prof. McGoldrick (Scottish lad). He was always on conferences in sunny places.

Most of the rain falls on Wales before it reaches Manchester. :(

Partly Yorkshire here but mostly Sarfend on Sea, HEM. I googled the other day. Sarfend has 300 days of sunshine per year - the most in the UK!

( But they forgot to mention the temperatures!😂)

6 minutes ago, hooperski said:

Most of the rain falls on Wales before it reaches Manchester. :(

Wales? Poor old Ireland! Can't blame it all on Ireland! Poor sods.. God gave them the Atlantic rain and the English as neighbours!😂

I moved to DE in November '82...

However I do recall an endless Summer in the late 1950s or early 1960s.

On 29/07/2021, 22:52:52, LukeSkywalker said:

Manchester is not rainy.

That is the funniest thing I read in a long time. Thanks for the laugh :D

Clearly British weather has changed over the decades... 1976 was an exception too.

I was a student there in the 80s and I remember it raining non-stop for weeks and weeks on end in March and October. Without let. About six weeks at a time. Every year. I do not exaggerate. Horrible. Scarred me for life. Kid you not. Guess I will not be retiring to Wales.

When I was growing up next the North Sea in the 70s the weather was filthy. And that was on the"sunny" side of the isles supposedly in the rain-shadow of the Pennines. I do not miss it. I do enjoy walking about in a t-shirt and living outside.

Edit: oh yeah, I am happy because the pain has stopped.

I'm happy I've just managed to book a flight to Hamburg at a civilised time of departure. 12 o'clock midday!👍👍. Getting to the airport and the check in stuff is a 4-hour job! Happy camper here!

Big cruise ships are not allowed anymore to pass through the Venetian lagoons and stop at the harbour. They shouldn’t have allowed this in the first place!

On his first ever "live" test, my three year old Labrador (Fritz) found 3 truffles. 

I started training him during truffle season last year, but after a year's break, we've only had two practice sessions in the garden this week, so I was amazed when he started digging them up on demand (and perhaps more importantly, dropping them on demand too).